• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ashland County Fair

BriKuz

I'll head over to the fair at lunch and see what's going on... we've had zero issues with Ashland the last two years...

BriKuz

Was at the fair, Fair Board directed Sheriff to detain and/or arrest ANY firearms carrier. Working with County Prosecutor and City law Director right now. Discussion on OFCC 9.68 forum, but I'll stop in here with updates from time to time.

Brian D.

Was at the fair, Fair Board directed Sheriff to detain and/or arrest ANY firearms carrier. Working with County Prosecutor and City law Director right now. Discussion on OFCC 9.68 forum, but I'll stop in here with updates from time to time.

Small point just me wondering out loud: Since when does the county sheriff serve at the pleasure of or take orders from the Fair Board?

BriKuz

Lt. Smart with Ashland County Sheriff's Office just called me back, and the Sheriff's Department and Prosecutor's office have determined that open or concealed carry of firearms IS legal in the open areas of the fairgrounds.

I like it when things are easy like this.

eye95

If this was fixed in the past, how did it get unfixed? New director acting out of ignorance? Or someone who knows better trying to make things work the way he thinks they should?

BriKuz

apparently the Fair Board Pres didn't want them there... they met a month ago and it was determined that posting was illegal, but the fair board prez tried to claim that the ticket booths you have to walk through to get into the fair are "buildings" under ORC, not "shelters"... the Ashland prosecutors set them straight (after they got assistance from Wayne County, who dealt with this last year) I kinda wish he OP had audio or video proof of the incident... being ejected unlawfully from a place you are lawfully allowed to be COULD be grounds for a civil suit, if there was any proof...

BriKuz

Had a blast... had 3 dif people walk up to us and say "Why do you look familiar? Oh! You guys are the Oberlin people! Good job!" :mrgreen: made ME feel good... Lt. Smart was pumped that BOTH of us were carrying... he thought it was cool that J has a .40 and not a little .380

The rain SUCKED, though! lol

Last edited:

eye95

Look out on the midway! It's a cop! No, it's a carrier! No, it's Fairman! Who, disguised as mild-mannered BriKuz, he fights the never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the right to carry at a county fair!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

BriKuz

Look out on the midway! It's a cop! No, it's a carrier! No, it's Fairman! Who, disguised as mild-mannered BriKuz, he fights the never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the right to carry at a county fair!

<o>

That was HORRIBLE... but funny... have you noticed, I'm not JUST fairman... i'm also Parkman.

eye95

You need a cape, dude. Open carry with a cape. And a mask.

OK, maybe forget the mask.

<o>

Chuck!

Had a blast... had 3 dif people walk up to us and say "Why do you look familiar? Oh! You guys are the Oberlin people! Good job!" :mrgreen: made ME feel good... Lt. Smart was pumped that BOTH of us were carrying... he thought it was cool that J has a .40 and not a little .380

The rain SUCKED, though! lol

Notoriety,,,,

JmE

ROTFL! That's funny.

@BriKuz: Thanks to the good work! Other than OCing one day last year to get the signs taken down, this year was the first that I was able to go to the Highland County Fair in many. I know what you mean about being able to enjoy the fair while being armed. Frankly, I couldn't attend while it was posted and enjoy it.