• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll - anyone been at starbucks OCing since the new policy? how was it

Been Back to Starbucks after new policy?

• Yes - same as before - no problems

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Yes - staff not friendly to me as before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - but kicked out by staff

• Yes - but hasstled by non-staff (other cust)

• Yes - cops called but I stayed

• Yes- cops called and I left

• No - have not been back

Votes: 31 77.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bbMurphy

Snip...
BTW, the lecture series from Hillsdale that I signed up for makes exactly the same point, that the root of all other rights is the right to property.
<o>

Do you also have a subscription to get their (Hillsdale) Imprimus mailing? If not, please do so. It is a fantastic newsletter. :)

eye95

No sh-t, really? I had no friggen clue whatsoever, and prior post absolutely never alluded to the privilege of posting on this private forum.

You may be able to read, but at least pretend you spend more than a split second's time with each sentence, try reading fully, and trying to understand what is written, before you show you're baser desires to forgo reading comprehension.

You are behaving like an ass. I see no purpose in further discussion with you.

Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

stealthyeliminator

No sh-t, really? I had no friggen clue whatsoever, and prior post absolutely never alluded to the privilege of posting on this private forum.

You may be able to read, but at least pretend you spend more than a split second's time with each sentence, try reading fully, and trying to understand what is written, before you show you're baser desires to forgo reading comprehension.

Edit: Nevermind. Not worth it to derail the thread further, especially when you weren't responding to me originally anyway and the person that you were addressing has no further interest in the discussion.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I cannot have property without life, nor can I have property without the liberty to pursue and acquire property. Life, liberty, and property, in that order. I will respect Starbucks' request and not patronize their establishments.

Kopis

Visited the memphis downtown location and midtown location (more hippies). A few of them seemed perturbed but no one said anything. a friend and i visit the downtown location most sunday mornings on our bikes and we always OC.

Kirbinator

When I found out Starbucks was neutral in the gun debate, I started spending money at Starbucks on a regular basis. And I'd be there for as many as four hours, buying an item or two as hunger prevailed. I'd go there because like Wal*Mart, it was ubiquitous, and knowing the national policy, I knew that I would probably never have to deal with law enforcement there because I was out in public, not committing a crime.

Now, I've given up that habit. :banana:

EMNofSeattle

I had a cup of joe at a SBUX location at Barnes & Noble in Silverdale, WA while OC yesterday. No problems... However because they're inside someone else's store they don't have property rights at that location.

Aknazer

I haven't been to one and don't intend to do so, but if I were to end up at one for some odd reason their letter wouldn't stop me from carrying there. Why? Because while they have made it clear that they don't want me there, they did NOT flex their rights as property owners to ban me from there. Their objection to my presence is noted, but if they truly didn't want me there they have the capability to ban me.

Should they flex their rights as property owners and actually BAN me instead of simply expressing their desire that I not go there armed, then I'll make sure to not go there. But until then, should life (i.e. wife) take me there I'll do so in accordance with state laws.

ShaggyOne

Haven't been to Starbucks since I read an email that went around in '05 or '06 about a group of servicemen in Iraq that wrote Starbucks asking if they could send some of their coffee, they were really missing it, and would appreciate a taste to remind them of home. Starbucks response was that we don't support the war and we won't send you coffee(paraphrased). I tried looking for the email but it was so long ago that I can't find it. That's all I needed to know about Starbucks!! I understand you might not like nor support the wars that were fought, that's your choice and I will respect it, but if you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them. I knew those "Support Starbucks Days" in response to the boycotts would backfire, specially when people were showing up with AR's over the shoulders(And yes I own one those too). :banghead: While I respect private property rights, the only thing that might change companies minds, would be...hope it doesn't happen....but a shooter shows up at Gun Free Zone...Gun Victim Zone(Got it right), lets just say AMC theaters, a survivor of the shooting than sues AMC for taking away their right to defend themselves and not providing adequate measures to protect its patrons. All I see is landslide in favor of the plantiff and a company hurting after that settlement.

On a side note, business that show no gun signs, I don't go in. I know this hurts some good people in states like CA and other with similar gun laws, but I don't even support businesses from that state because I don't want any of my money going to the state thru taxes. What also sucks is that my states to stay away from list if growing!!!

EMNofSeattle

Haven't been to Starbucks since I read an email that went around in '05 or '06 about a group of servicemen in Iraq that wrote Starbucks asking if they could send some of their coffee, they were really missing it, and would appreciate a taste to remind them of home. Starbucks response was that we don't support the war and we won't send you coffee(paraphrased). I tried looking for the email but it was so long ago that I can't find it. That's all I needed to know about Starbucks!! I understand you might not like nor support the wars that were fought, that's your choice and I will respect it, but if you won't stand behind our troops, please stand in front of them. I knew those "Support Starbucks Days" in response to the boycotts would backfire, specially when people were showing up with AR's over the shoulders(And yes I own one those too). :banghead: While I respect private property rights, the only thing that might change companies minds, would be...hope it doesn't happen....but a shooter shows up at Gun Free Zone...Gun Victim Zone(Got it right), lets just say AMC theaters, a survivor of the shooting than sues AMC for taking away their right to defend themselves and not providing adequate measures to protect its patrons. All I see is landslide in favor of the plantiff and a company hurting after that settlement.

On a side note, business that show no gun signs, I don't go in. I know this hurts some good people in states like CA and other with similar gun laws, but I don't even support businesses from that state because I don't want any of my money going to the state thru taxes. What also sucks is that my states to stay away from list if growing!!!

That rumor is not true. Starbucks has never refused to send coffee on the basis of opposing the war, the marine who wrote the original email admitted he made a mistake years ago

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

JustJack

That rumor is not true. Starbucks has never refused to send coffee on the basis of opposing the war, the marine who wrote the original email admitted he made a mistake years ago

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

Ooo..Snopes (a couple who run it from their house with no experience or education in any investigative field (Journalism, P.I., etc) says it's so, so it must be true. :banghead:

ShaggyOne

Don't feed the f'ing trolls. Know it all... Two posts... Need I say more.

Wow Jegoodin, you didn't disappoint me!!! I was waiting for someone to make a comment about how many posts I've made. After reading many of threads, and seeing how some just get attacked for being new, I was wondering whether to put my 2 cents in. Thanks for the conformation!!!

bbMurphy

Starbucks not supporting our troops. Nope. False.

It's true that Snopes isn't the best source to determine truth. However, there are multiple sites that all agree that the Starbucks rumor is false.

TruthorFiction: http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/starbucks-iraq.htm#.UktbvvXsZz0
UrbanLegends: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_starbucks_marines.htm
HoaxSlayer: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_starbucks_marines.htm
ScamBusters: http://www.scambusters.org/starbucks.html

Since this has been reported as false by multiple sites, I'd have to agree that it's hogwash. Now if only people would do a little of their own investigating... :banghead:

ShaggyOne

Alright I was wrong!

It's true that Snopes isn't the best source to determine truth. However, there are multiple sites that all agree that the Starbucks rumor is false.

TruthorFiction: http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/starbucks-iraq.htm#.UktbvvXsZz0
UrbanLegends: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_starbucks_marines.htm
HoaxSlayer: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_starbucks_marines.htm
ScamBusters: http://www.scambusters.org/starbucks.html

Since this has been reported as false by multiple sites, I'd have to agree that it's hogwash. Now if only people would do a little of their own investigating... :banghead:

After looking at all the links, I agree hogwash. I should have done my own research, but after researching who the correct lender is that I need to get a release from on a 40 year old deed of trust at work, I don't care to do anymore research when I'm home. I handle real estate transactions for a living. Thanks bb!

stealthyeliminator

As if post count has anything to do with anything. What does that make you, with your whole 200 something posts? Since 2006? Hell, what am I saying, you have more than 1 golden star under your name, that must mean you definitely know what you're talking about!
Wow Jegoodin, you didn't disappoint me!!! I was waiting for someone to make a comment about how many posts I've made. After reading many of threads, and seeing how some just get attacked for being new, I was wondering whether to put my 2 cents in. Thanks for the conformation!!!
Just another example of how unfriendly and unwelcoming this forum is the majority of the time. Most newcomers have a little bit of positive feedback, mixed into the middle of an avalanche of negative. What a shame.

On topic - I stopped going to Starbucks long before any of this gun support/anti gun stuff ever started. Turns out they're pretty much as I thought, reaffirming that original decision.

Last edited: