Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gangs, not guns is Chicago's problem

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Gangs, not guns is Chicago's problem

    Maybe Chicago’s top cop has the wrong target

    http://www.examiner.com/article/mayb...e-wrong-target

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    Maybe Chicago’s top cop has the wrong target

    http://www.examiner.com/article/mayb...e-wrong-target
    I wonder if the government realizes banning assault weapons would most likely only create more crime? Do they think criminals and gang bangers are buying their guns legally?

    Put an assault weapon ban and it drives more crime to make money to buy illegal guns, also creates a market for criminals to sell guns!

    Look at prohibition, when that ended, gangsters lost a HUGE chunk of revenue.. And MUCH of the violence halted

  3. #3
    Regular Member Eeyore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    558
    Well, duh. But to admit that would be to admit that their single-party government's policies (or lack of same) have been incorrect for decades.

    Richmond brought their gang problem under control with Project Exile--after the state convicted a thug for the robbery or whatever, they were turned over to a federal prosecutor to be tried on federal gun charges (use of a gun in a felony, illegal possession, etc.) and put away for a long time.

    Meanwhile, Chicago, the new murder capital of the U.S., is dead-last in federal gun prosecutions. Coincidence?

    Given Rahm Emmanuel's connections to the Obama Administration, I'm sure he could get a fire lit under the prosecutor if he wanted to. So the only logical conclusion is that he likes things just the way they are, so he can keep blaming the guns instead of the gangsters.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I remember when the first Heller opinion came out and Daley knew this spelled doom for his gun restrictions. He was hopping up and down, yelling, and whining like a little girl.

    Emanuel will be like this soon

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    El Paso County, Colorado
    Posts
    309
    I love seeing gun control control in action.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Black_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On The Border in AZ
    Posts
    152
    I doubt the point is to actually stop crime; that is simply the logical fallacy used as the justification.

    Part of the reason (IMO) that nothing is being done, is because actually doing something would prove something that the administration does not want to prove, which is: certain demographics are more likely to be involved in crimes.

    So, if you want to believe that crime is even across the board etc, going after gangs in Chicago is not going to do that.

    This whole "gun debate" is an exercise in racism. The US is #1 in gun ownership and #28 in gun crime. You ever notice that the antis never point this out but instead point to industrialized Europe for their gun stats? The reason is simple: nations with higher gun crime than the US have massive gun restrictions by and large and are not "white".

    Ann Coulter wrote an article where she broke down gun crime by race and if you go by simple demographics, the US has close to the same gun crime as countries in Europe when broken down by race.

    So if you want to solve the gun violence problem you have to look at the race problem. If you don't want to look at the race problem, you are left chasing logical fallacy.

  7. #7
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Banning guns in Chicago has nothing to do with trying to reduce crime -- that would be much too illogical and these people are not as ignorant as they lead on. The attempt to ban guns in Chicago is all about controlling the people so the insidious fools in government can control their every move. There is too much factual evidence that proves gun-control does not work for people to actually believe it does.

    What Chicago really needs is to remove the unethical gangsters in government. This will never happen, however, because the people that vote in Chicago have no idea what logic is. They have no idea what government by the people and for the people is. To be truthful they don't want limited government that is ran strictly by the people and for the people. All I can recommend is for those that have a brain to leave immediately; there is nothing in Chicago worth staying for -- nothing!
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  8. #8
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    What is wrong with wanting to remove guns from gang members?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    What is wrong with wanting to remove guns from gang members?
    If you removed guns from gang bangers, would they not just get more guns? Put the criminals away and you could have 100 guns at every street corner and it would safe.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    El Paso County, Colorado
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If you removed guns from gang bangers, would they not just get more guns? Put the criminals away and you could have 100 guns at every street corner and it would safe.
    Whoa, are you kidding, that many guns crowded together? They'd go feral, start engaging in homosexual activity (like overcrowded rats do), and eventually bust out of confinement and terrorize the neighborhood! What on earth are you THINKING?!?!?!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Black_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On The Border in AZ
    Posts
    152
    The problem is not as simple as removing guns; criminals will continue with their behavior regardless of what tool they use to perpetrate. Violent crime did not magically evaporate in the EU and Australia because they banned guns.

    The problem here (again very simplified view) is poverty and economics and everything that goes along with it. As long as our politicians want to avoid that, this issue "violence", not "gun violence" is NEVER going away.
    Last edited by Black_water; 10-01-2013 at 10:13 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member DW98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_water View Post
    The problem is not as simple as removing guns; criminals will continue with their behavior regardless of what tool they use to perpetrate. Violent crime did not magically evaporate in the EU and Australia because they banned guns.

    The problem here (again very simplified view) is poverty and economics and everything that goes along with it. As long as our politicians want to avoid that, this issue "violence", not "gun violence" is NEVER going away.
    Just going to bump this. I've been hearing a lot of "guns are banned in Australia" etc. That's not true at all. You can buy firearms here, providing you pass a safety course, which is incredibly easy. While the laws are still BS, they are definitely not banned. In my local area there are 7 gun shops and two rifle ranges as well as a pistol range. They banned fully automatics and certain military rifles, not guns in general.

    If you want to talk banned, look at Singapore or Japan, they have almost eliminated civilian ownership. As for Europe, Germany is the 4th highest in civilian ownership in the world. Australia is 23rd or so last I checked. The U.K. is in the late 40's.

    Just to reinstate, I do not agree with the Australian firearm laws. I'm just trying to debunk a common misconception.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Black_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On The Border in AZ
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by DW98 View Post
    Just going to bump this. I've been hearing a lot of "guns are banned in Australia" etc. That's not true at all. You can buy firearms here, providing you pass a safety course, which is incredibly easy. While the laws are still BS, they are definitely not banned. In my local area there are 7 gun shops and two rifle ranges as well as a pistol range. They banned fully automatics and certain military rifles, not guns in general.

    If you want to talk banned, look at Singapore or Japan, they have almost eliminated civilian ownership. As for Europe, Germany is the 4th highest in civilian ownership in the world. Australia is 23rd or so last I checked. The U.K. is in the late 40's.

    Just to reinstate, I do not agree with the Australian firearm laws. I'm just trying to debunk a common misconception.
    Fair enough, thanks for that.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by DW98 View Post
    Just going to bump this. I've been hearing a lot of "guns are banned in Australia" etc. That's not true at all. You can buy firearms here, providing you pass a safety course, which is incredibly easy. While the laws are still BS, they are definitely not banned. In my local area there are 7 gun shops and two rifle ranges as well as a pistol range. They banned fully automatics and certain military rifles, not guns in general.

    If you want to talk banned, look at Singapore or Japan, they have almost eliminated civilian ownership. As for Europe, Germany is the 4th highest in civilian ownership in the world. Australia is 23rd or so last I checked. The U.K. is in the late 40's.

    Just to reinstate, I do not agree with the Australian firearm laws. I'm just trying to debunk a common misconception.
    People can discuss and find out more about Australia's gun laws at the NEW forum: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...mp-New-Zealand

    That's where I'm going!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern Illinois, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    What is wrong with wanting to remove guns from gang members?
    Nothing but Chicago always seems to go after the lawful gun owner, with gun bans, magazine bans, gun registration, requiring a license to own a gun, things gang members don't comply with. They of course banned the ownership of handguns for years, it didn't stop criminals from getting them. When the gang bangers get arrested on a gun charge the revolving door system in Chicago has them back on the street in no time.

    Now that concealed carry legislation has passed in Illinois over the opposition of politicians from Chicago who were against preemption. They wanted to pass their own carry ordinances.
    Last edited by junglebob; 11-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    Maybe Chicago’s top cop has the wrong target

    http://www.examiner.com/article/mayb...e-wrong-target
    The government is the biggest obstacle to the people of Chicago but they stupidly think that its their salvation ... moths to a flame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •