• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

glen allen days

thedevilrobyjohn

glen allen days, hooray for hopewell, emporia peanut fest, suffolk peanut fest, field day of the past...any presence at these? lots of opportunities

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
But aren't like 1/2 the population sensitive to peanuts? Sounds like Kissinger at work.

And likely from vaccines ... where they switched to peanut oils from synthetic oils in them years ago...just MO.

mpguy

Suffolk peanut fest will let you have a booth for 300, but the are full. Can't even pass out GSL stickers, with out having the booth.:(

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

mpguy

Hope to attend this one.

Suffolk Peanut Festival - Oct 10th - Suffolk Executive Airport

Airport Ownership and Management from official FAA records

Ownership:Publicly-owned
Owner: CITY OF SUFFOLK

http://airnav.com/airport/SFQ

I'll be looking for you, providing nothing crazy happens. One of the ladies followed up on me the other day, from leaving my number with the airport.

I don't have a recording, as I was in tending to a service at work, but I saved the incoming phone record on my cell.

mpguy

This does beg a question. Peanut fest is ran by non profit. How does that fit into gun laws? I know private property owners have a say, and local municipals are under preemption.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This does beg a question. Peanut fest is ran by non profit. How does that fit into gun laws? I know private property owners have a say, and local municipals are under preemption.

Therein lies the potential fish hook. It turns out that the Festival is apparently not on airport property.

Suffolk Festivals, Inc.
A 501(3)(c) Organization

The Annual Suffolk Peanut Fest is managed by Suffolk Festivals, Inc., a non-profit organization operating a 50-acre festival site adjacent to the Suffolk Executive Airport.

So now there is the question of who does own the property and what are the lease terms.

Also may be some conflict as some of the organization's directors/executive committee appear to be city employees.

http://www.suffolkfest.org/thefestival.aspx

Last edited:

mpguy

Therein lies the potential fish hook. It turns out that the Festival is apparently not on airport property.

Suffolk Festivals, Inc.
A 501(3)(c) Organization

The Annual Suffolk Peanut Fest is managed by Suffolk Festivals, Inc., a non-profit organization operating a 50-acre festival site adjacent to the Suffolk Executive Airport.

So now there is the question of who does own the property and what are the lease terms.

Also may be some conflict as some of the organization's directors/executive committee appear to be city employees.

http://www.suffolkfest.org/thefestival.aspx

Well my friend this is what I can tell you. Some of this is rather old info for the property so bare with me, and lets see what the good ole Google senses can do.

1st. From my understanding, the property "used" to be Suffolk RaceWay. I was always told that the place closed down. The Airport got the land according to this source, which I'll confirm myself, for pretty much the extra space, that never took off for air traffic.

3rd post down on the link
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1476356

Some pictures of the place back in the day...
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/pictur...and-70s-collection-bing-gatewood#.Uj5N2fGrSmw

The place is completely fenced off, with no tresspassing, and I'll double check, but I believe with the wording Airport Security posted on the signs. I'll see if I can get google earth downloading on my linux computer, to see if I can snap a picture of it.

Here is a map of the place thanks to google earth. Times like this, I wish we lived closer, cause I can show you on the map, it's on the airport property. There's a Truck stop right across Route 13-32 called Wiconess, and a truck stop resturant called The Red Apple literally across the street, that people part and walk onto the property instead of paying the 10 dollar parking fee.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.681960806,-76.601058861&t=h&z=16

Again, I did call both Airport, and Peanut Fest's Office to confirm that I would be carrying, and I had a conceal weapon's permit, if it made them feel better. *sorry Peter, I know you feeling on the p4p and I agree, but anything that get's my foot in the door, I'm game to try. :p*

She did note that they couldn't stop be, but expected to be stopped and questioned, as almost every cop in Suffolk would be there. The Peanut Fest did call me back, due to me leaving my number at the airport, to confirm who I was, and did say I couldn't pass stickers out, unless I'd buy a booth, which she said they had filled there quota for this year, so I was sol on that part. I'm not sure how the law states that.

My map drawing skills are not that to be desired, but I'll see if I can draw map using GIMP, and give you a idea of where it normally is.

*edit* If you zoom on the upper part of the map along the highway, you'll see the fenced in gate across the truck stop. That northern section of the property is used for parking for the festival, and drilling for Defensive driving for Suffolk's PD. Again will make a map.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate all of the research - guess it helps to know where you are going :)

Will see if I can get Peter Nap on board will his video equipment.

As always I will not actively be soliciting, offering, or pushing anything. If people ask me for one, I will not refuse - that would be rude.

It would be particularly good if some of the staff from the various political campaigns were there with their stickers - who knows, maybe the AG himself might show up, exercising his 1st Amendment Rights :lol:

Still the question of "venue" nags me - we'll have to see how this shakes out.

mpguy

Ok, here's a 3rd grade attempt to map it out from a 33 year old man. :p

mockmap.png

You'll have to google earth the area again to see that, if you go just past the airport, you can turn on Airport Road on the left. Airport Road is the main entrance into the area. Though 13/32, is considered the exit, you can walk in that way normally with nps.

Only thing I wish I had was the recording. Still kicking my rear about that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just got reminded that Scouser's court date in Henrico is on the 10th. That will have precedence over all else.