Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: My Florid friends, how do you know?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, Va
    Posts
    181

    My Florid friends, how do you know?

    When a business gets m9re then 50% of their sales from on site alcohol consumption. Do they have to post a sign or something? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    You don't know. The law is ambiguous and stupid plus routinely disregarded, especially in bar areas at chain restaurants. Fortunately concealed means concealed, which means my XDm and 20 rounds of 9mm go with me anywhere the state isn't screening. If you want to obey the "law" I would definitely avoid places that have "bar" in their name without "& grill" after it.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCop View Post
    When a business gets m9re then 50% of their sales from on site alcohol consumption. Do they have to post a sign or something? Thanks in advance.
    Why should we care? It has nothing, at all, to do with where we are allowed to carry firearms.

    Also, please disregard everything in the post above. It is all completely wrong and suggests illegal activity.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 09-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Re: My Florid friends, how do you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Why should we care? It has nothing, at all, to do with where we are allowed to carry firearms.

    Also, please disregard everything in the post above. It is all completely wrong and suggests illegal activity.
    "Which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose." Since the statute doesn't give us any more information we're left to read into it. The OP is relevant to where we can carry firearms legally.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    "Which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose." Since the statute doesn't give us any more information we're left to read into it. The OP is relevant to where we can carry firearms legally.
    Your previous post did not cite the law and your second post on quoted a portion of it. And because you do not understand it you call it ambiguous. It's really not.

    Then you go on to state you violate the law on a routine basis.

    Please stop advocating illegal activities to folks new to carrying a firearm in Florida. It is a disservice.

    Plus, the amount of revenue is completely irrelevant when it comes to off-limits establishments.



    OP, just do not carry into a stand-alone bar (one that is not attached to any other occupancy - and you can smoke inside) or belly up to the actual bar in a restaurant and you'll be fine.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post


    OP, just do not carry into a stand-alone bar (one that is not attached to any other occupancy - and you can smoke inside) or belly up to the actual bar in a restaurant and you'll be fine.

    "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;"


    This law is not clear. Can I carry in a pool hall? I've been in one where I thought the law was ambiguous. I carried anyway. When I go to outback steakhouse, can I sit in the booths near the bar, as long as I don't "belly up" to it? Can I walk through the bar area on the way to the bathroom?
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;"


    This law is not clear. Can I carry in a pool hall? I've been in one where I thought the law was ambiguous. I carried anyway. When I go to outback steakhouse, can I sit in the booths near the bar, as long as I don't "belly up" to it? Can I walk through the bar area on the way to the bathroom?
    Yes to all. Just stay away form the actual bar.

    See, not really that hard is it?
    Last edited by notalawyer; 09-24-2013 at 08:25 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Yes to all. Just stay away form the actual bar.

    See, not really that hard is it?
    I would agree with you and carry anyway. However, Fl Carry and Eric Friday disagree with you, and I can understand why. I can also see anti gun law enforcement interpreting this law so as to ruin my day.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Rich7553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I would agree with you and carry anyway. However, Fl Carry and Eric Friday disagree with you, and I can understand why. I can also see anti gun law enforcement interpreting this law so as to ruin my day.
    Exactly what are we disagreeing to, in you view? Please be specific.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    _____________________________________
    Want to do something about your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHING!

  10. #10
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    Exactly what are we disagreeing to, in you view? Please be specific.
    A couple years ago there was a thread in here where Sean said you could not go into the area in a restaurant that was partially enclosed by regular booths because the partial enclosure also contained a bar that you could sit at. All Outback restaurants seem to have these areas. Sean said his attorney said "No" and I say it's ambiguous. Notalaywer says "yes" as long as you don't sit down at the actual bar.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    A couple years ago there was a thread in here where Sean said you could not go into the area in a restaurant that was partially enclosed by regular booths because the partial enclosure also contained a bar that you could sit at. All Outback restaurants seem to have these areas. Sean said his attorney said "No" and I say it's ambiguous. Notalaywer says "yes" as long as you don't sit down at the actual bar.
    In addition to my own interpretation, I received this information directly from one A.S.A. who invited me for a drink at the hotel lounge during a USPSA match. (She was a cutie too!) As well as several conversations with LEO's (which I discounted), SA's, and ASA's during my visits to courthouses/courtrooms during trials I was following/researching.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Rich7553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    A couple years ago there was a thread in here where Sean said you could not go into the area in a restaurant that was partially enclosed by regular booths because the partial enclosure also contained a bar that you could sit at. All Outback restaurants seem to have these areas. Sean said his attorney said "No" and I say it's ambiguous. Notalaywer says "yes" as long as you don't sit down at the actual bar.
    If you could find the thread, I'd like to read it. I don't recall the particulars.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    _____________________________________
    Want to do something about your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHING!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •