• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Folks in authority often start to think they are special

eye95

In any association of people, some are endowed with authority. It is a real moral challenge not to allow that authority to become the definition of the person to whom the authority is granted. The last one to see how his authority has changed him is the one with the authority.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I just skimmed the article, but I was very impressed with what I did pick up.

I'll come back and read it more thoroughly later.

Thanks for posting it, Eye.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Starting with Plato and his Republic, which society was comprised of leaders, auxiliaries and citizens. Only the auxiliaries were to be armed. Only the leaders were to think and only the citizens were to earn and produce.

You know, I've kinda developed a standard. I always view government with the conviction that govern-ers are out for number one, and like bossing other people around, while lying about their motives, and the benefits and beneficiaries of legislation, policies, etc.

With that in mind, I've decided Plato isn't worth paying attention to.

In his Republic he evidences a very dark view of mankind. I didn't read all of it--I knew after the first few pages of his cynicism and misanthropic attitude that he would contribute nothing to my understanding.

If Nightmare is accurate in his post that I quoted, then Plato can be disregarded as a mouthpiece for his class or government.

eye95

I just skimmed the article, but I was very impressed with what I did pick up.

I'll come back and read it more thoroughly later.

Thanks for posting it, Eye.

You're welcome. We all exercise authority. We all, not just cops, can learn from the article!

I am facing some challenges as a result of my authority at work. I am struggling to make sure that I exercise that authority morally. But, it takes constant vigilance. I think I am doing well, but am willing to listen to those over whom I exercise that authority. All but one have recognized that, and it means that I can count on their willingness to be part of the team that I can lead rather than simply folks over whom I exercise authority.

I guess I learned that lesson as a teacher. I was overbearing at first. As time went by, I learned techniques that relied on my abilities to lead rather than to control.

Many in authority still need to learn that lesson.

<o>

eye95

You know, I've kinda developed a standard. I always view government with the conviction that govern-ers are out for number one, and like bossing other people around, while lying about their motives, and the benefits and beneficiaries of legislation, policies, etc.

With that in mind, I've decided Plato isn't worth paying attention to.

In his Republic he evidences a very dark view of mankind. I didn't read all of it--I knew after the first few pages of his cynicism and misanthropic attitude that he would contribute nothing to my understanding.

If Nightmare is accurate in his post that I quoted, then Plato can be disregarded as a mouthpiece for his class or government.

Good leadership starts from the assumption that people are generally good, but sometimes misguided.

Control-style authority stems from the idea that most people have ill-intent and that an outside force has to quash that intent.

<o>

77zach

I don't have a memo proving it, but I believe many large departments encourage this negative attitude. I could never be a cop. I don't like having arbitrary authority over people. It's embarrassing and scary. It's amazing to think that one lying cop could ruin someone. A cop can bring the entire weight of a state against you if he feels like it. Yeah, I may win in the end if I haven't done anything wrong, but at what cost?

Departments should give authority to people with high intelligence, good character, and excellent leadership qualities. In any voluntary association, some will come out as natural leaders; people will follow them willingly because of their competence or character. Such people should be peace officers and there should necessarily be few of them because there should be relatively few laws to enforce. For these and other reasons, communities should be suspicious of 18-29 year old cops. We seem to have a lot of young cops. I think the regime likes young cops because younger people will often behave arrogantly.