• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man of the cloth confesses: OC scares him

Repeater

This is from a man who seems intelligent enough:

Debate over gun control is complex
I struggle with the dualistic rhetoric surrounding gun control.

I struggle with the rhetoric referring to some as “law-abiding,” while referring to others as “criminals.” The same concern applies to the rhetoric of “mentally stable” and “mentally unstable.”

Several weeks ago, I was standing in line at a CVS store. The man in front of me had a holstered handgun on his right hip. As far as I could discern, he did not carry any easily identifiable signage indicating which one he was — law-abiding or criminal, stable or unstable.

This is not my first such encounter. These encounters are always full of ambiguity, uncertainty and anxiety.

In the political and talk show discourse, as with my friend, the rhetoric would suggest these distinctions are clear, consistent over time, categorically unambiguous, and they have clean, sharp edges. And implicitly, we should know who they are, much like a shirts-and-skins basketball game.

If only the reality on the street and CVS stores were so unambiguous. Alas, none of us comes with such signage; nor would such signage offer a faithful rendering. And therein is my concern.

Read the comment. Andrew Goddard "likes" -- well, that helps.

Perhaps, in the interest of fellowship, Dr. Anderson might agree to attend an OC Dinner.

50f0e037553ca.image.jpg

D. Craig Anderson, Ph.D.
Director, Counseling Services Randolph-Macon College

JoeSparky

Centurion

Perhaps, in the interest of fellowship, Dr. Anderson might agree to attend an OC Dinner.

50f0e037553ca.image.jpg

D. Craig Anderson, Ph.D.

So a guy with a Ph.D. and the Director of Counseling Services of Randolph-Macon College is UNABLE to observe and determine based upon ones actions, demeanor, and behavior weather one is nervous, anxious, and maybe up to no good..... And we expect the police to be able too. /sarcasm

Hey, Doc! It ain't the gun any more than any other tool! It is the operator of the tool!

Marco

50f0e037553ca.image.jpg

D. Craig Anderson, Ph.D.

Ye of little faith.
Wonder if he's scared when he see's police, armed guards, people driving cars, drinking adult bevs, buying household cleaning products, carpenters/trades men etc....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Ye of little faith.

+1 Absolutely.

What on earth is a man with so little faith in his fellows doing ministering or counseling others? Right off the bat we immediately know his understanding of others is insufficient. As is his understanding of himself--he doesn't seem to be able to identify and separate his own reactions from the facts.

He'd do well to understand himself a bit. Notice that in the article he manifests exactly his own problem--he calls the rhetoric and encounters ambiguous; and then confesses to anxiety. Well, of course he does. If he just viewed the subject head-on, he wouldn't be anxious, and he wouldn't be all wrapped up in ambiguities. His so-called ambiguities are his anxieties. Jeezus, what an obvious acting-out.

Oh. He's a psych. Well, that explains it.

The only remaining question is why an editor didn't catch this and prevent publication.

Last edited:

F350

50f0e037553ca.image.jpg

D. Craig Anderson, Ph.D.

My wife has a Ph.D, she says anyone can get one; it is just like running an endurance race all you have to do is keep plugging away at it. Getting one proves nothing; some of the biggist idiots she has known had Ph.Ds.

Old joke....

Everyone knows what a BS degree stands for;
MS= More of the Same
PHD= Piled Higher and Deeper

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Educated fool

50f0e037553ca.image.jpg

D. Craig Anderson, Ph.D.

Perhaps someone should ask the good “doctor” to name a time he ever saw a criminal that open carried!!!!!!!

Just don't hold your breath while waiting for him to answer. He has a fear of guns and law abiding citizens. And he is a “director of counselors”????

No wonder our kids are so dumb after graduating from "higher educational institutes".

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are a whole bunch of problems with this guy and his world view, and even more with the world view he wishes existed. His desire for "signage" that we are good giuys or bad guys seems to run counter to the teachings of his faith - iirc the Pilgrims were the last that made folks wear signs announcing their sins (The Scarlet Letter and suchlike). Lutherans, I always thought, just went around feling guilty - for stuff they did, for stuff they didn't do, and for stuff they weren't sure they should have done or not done.

Claiming that acts of ommission are but minor sins, which implies that acts of commission are major sins, is just wrong. And yet he alludes to having committed many acts of commission and hopes (falsely it turns out here in Virginia) that a statute of limitations will eventually absolve him. Wonder what will absolve him of the sin of failing to love his fellow man as he loves his Lord?

I may have the words a bit off, but doesn't it go "And ye will know them by their deeds"? That's the signage this guy is looking for - someone going about their life with a holstered handgun and not shooting up the place and not threatening others is pretty much the good guy. Bad guys, even when not behaving badly, generally do not call attention to themselves as bad guys - and at least for this individual the wearing of a holstered handgun calls atention.

Without going into detail, we seem to have another case of projection. He cannot see himself wearing a properly holstered handgun without at least thinking of doing something threatening or harmful - even if it is just having the attitude "See my gun? I'm big and bad. Don't mess with me or I'll fill you with lead."

stay safe.

USNA69

50f0e037553ca.image.jpg

D. Craig Anderson, Ph.D.

If I read the description of the scene correctly, then Dr. Paranoia was standing directly behind the MWAG and was conflicted about whether this was a threat to him.
So, my questions to him would be:
Would you be equally concerned, had the man been openly carrying a properly sheathed large knife?
Given your proximity to the man, would you have felt that the man with a knife (MWAK) presented an comparable threat to you?
Would you have written an opinion piece about your encounter with a man openly carrying a knife?

If his replies were "no", then his fears were focused on the gun and not on the man.

I wonder if he ever considered the possibility that the man was a plain clothes LEO.
Would an openly carried badge have made a difference? Why?

va_tazdad

The "good doctor"

If I read the description of the scene correctly, then Dr. Paranoia was standing directly behind the MWAG and was conflicted about whether this was a threat to him.
So, my questions to him would be:
Would you be equally concerned, had the man been openly carrying a properly sheathed large knife?
Given your proximity to the man, would you have felt that the man with a knife (MWAK) presented an comparable threat to you?
Would you have written an opinion piece about your encounter with a man openly carrying a knife?

If his replies were "no", then his fears were focused on the gun and not on the man.

I wonder if he ever considered the possibility that the man was a plain clothes LEO.
Would an openly carried badge have made a difference? Why?

seriously needs counseling or better yet long term physco therapy.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Randolph College (formerly Randolph Macon College) is right here in little ol' Lynchburg. I'll have to keep my peepers open for this guy to see how he behaves in public. It's quite telling about his perception of gun carriers that at no point does he mention that the person he saw in CVS was doing anything anti-social or uncordial. His trepidation purely is related to the sidearm holstered at the other customer's side. Would it be too much to ask that he judge the person according to their actions, and not just upon what rests on his belt?

Here in Lynchburg this professor should have plenty of opportunities to see folks OCing unless he's locked in his office all day. Heck I probably know just who he saw based on the location of the school, and this guy is a generally good example of normal folks carrying sidearms.

Old Virginia Joe

Randolph College (formerly Randolph Macon College) is right here in little ol' Lynchburg.

My Dad is a 1960 graduate of Randolph-Macon College, and everytime he took me there to the campus, it was in Ashland, Va., a long ways from Lynchburg. Maybe we're talking about the R-M WOMAN'S College here? If so, maybe that might explain the unjustified "fear" of a Ph. D on the faculty there. He's just fitting in with the feminine outlook that formed that school's culture?

grylnsmn

My Dad is a 1960 graduate of Randolph-Macon College, and everytime he took me there to the campus, it was in Ashland, Va., a long ways from Lynchburg. Maybe we're talking about the R-M WOMAN'S College here? If so, maybe that might explain the unjustified "fear" of a Ph. D on the faculty there. He's just fitting in with the feminine outlook that formed that school's culture?

Randolph-Macon Women's College changed its name in 2007 to Randolph College when they went co-ed.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Ah you're correct Old Virginia Joe, this guy is apparently a staffer at the one in Ashland. I didn't realize there were two with a similar name, but if I'd done a better job with Google, I was presented with both options. Randolph Macon Women's College, now Randolph College, is here in Lynchburg.

Fallschirjmäger

Several weeks ago, I was in my car at a school crosswalk. The man in the car beside me had a had a powerful motor and reinforced bumpers on the front. As far as I could discern, he did not carry any easily identifiable signage indicating which one he was — law-abiding or criminal, stable or unstable. How was I to know that he wouldn't suddenly accelerate and run over all the poor children innocently walking to Sunday school?

Several weeks ago, I was in the park with my young child. The man on the pedestrian walkway had a fearsome looking bull terrier on a leash. As far as I could discern, he did not carry any easily identifiable signage indicating which one he was — law-abiding or criminal, stable or unstable. How was I to know that he wouldn't suddenly let loose his 'dog of war' to wreak havoc on the defenseless children in the playground?

Several weeks ago, I was walking with my betrothed in the park. A man approached from the other direction with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. As far as I could discern, he did not carry any easily identifiable signage indicating which one he was delivering flowers— law-abiding or criminal, stable or unstable. How was I to know that he wouldn't suddenly present the flowers to my betrothed, or even, (gasp!) toss them aside and begin to rape her as he was obviously equipped for such a heinous misdeed.

The Wolfhound

The sign was there

The man with the gun on his hip WAS wearing a sign. It is called a holster. Someone up to no good would not want to be encumbered with a holster in case of a police stop. Signs can lie but the sign was there.

Medic1210

What I find ironic is how folks who share this view will see a badge, and suddenly feel at ease, as if that is a sign the person is law abiding and mentally stable. Sheep:rolleyes:

MamabearCali

Perhaps the poor minister needs a little more faith. After all even if he cannot determine the hearts of men the God he serves can. He is also rather naive to think that a person carrying a badge is automatically a good guy. They might be, but there are plenty of examples of when they are not.

Look I am as strong a believer as I can be (my nickname in high school was bible beagle and I have only gotten more firm in my faith since then). I have not yet lost a bible trivia contest. However my faith tells me that there are evil people out there and Jesus even said he who does not have a sword should sell his cloak and buy one. I trust The Lord, but I still lock my car doors and double lock my home. We are to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

user

Accomplished Advocate
What I find ironic is how folks who share this view will see a badge, and suddenly feel at ease, as if that is a sign the person is law abiding and mentally stable. Sheep:rolleyes:

No joke. Just ask the sheriff's deputies who serve as bailiffs at any courthouse in Virginia... the people they're most afraid of is cops involved in domestic relations disputes, because they can get in through side or basement doors and evade security, and the ones most likely to bring a gun into the courthouse.

But here's the really simple answer for those who are disconnected, as this fellow seems to be, from reality: If you see someone engaged in the commission of a crime, then he's a "criminal"; but if you see someone who is not engaged in the commission of a crime, then he's "law abiding". The big problem is people shooting off their big effing mouths because they don't know what "crime" means. They think it means "things I don't like", sort of a synonym for "evil" - and this, we all recall, is the offense that got Adam and Eve kicked out of Eden: "eating of the fruit (i.e., consuming the product) of the tree (source) of the knowledge of good (things I like) and evil (things I don't like). Self-absorbed, self-important morons who act on the basis of what they like and what they don't like... if only they'd keep their opinions to themselves.