Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: new to SC, shooting questions.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    new to SC, shooting questions.

    Hey Opencarry!

    New member here. I'm a recent transplant to the Charleston area from AZ and have a few questions on shooting out here. I want to buy a little bit of land somewhere (max ~40 mins out side james island in any direction) and make my own shooting area. But, I can't find any state regulations regarding shooting on private land. Some land I have seen has been marketed as 'great for hunting' but that might just mean zoned for archery...anyways I'm looking for site or place I can contact which can provide me with a comprehensive list of shooting regulations in a specific county in SC. The people I've talked to say it's impossible to just drive out and shoot (what I have been use to in AZ) as it's 'all private land'.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,151
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate943 View Post
    I want to buy a little bit of land somewhere (max ~40 mins out side james island in any direction) and make my own shooting area. But, I can't find any state regulations regarding shooting on private land.
    Here is all of South Carolina statute law codified http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.php

    Here is the code of regulations http://www.scstatehouse.gov/coderegs/statmast.php

    Here is the state law enforcement site http://www.sled.sc.gov/

    Here is the SC Department of Natural Resources site http://www.dnr.sc.gov/

    Charleston County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19955

    Berkeley County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11851

    Dorchester County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14566

    Colleton County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=15151

    I believe that firearms law is preempted by the state of South Carolina.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Here is all of South Carolina statute law codified http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.php

    Here is the code of regulations http://www.scstatehouse.gov/coderegs/statmast.php

    Here is the state law enforcement site http://www.sled.sc.gov/

    Here is the SC Department of Natural Resources site http://www.dnr.sc.gov/

    Charleston County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19955

    Berkeley County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11851

    Dorchester County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14566

    Colleton County Code of Ordinances http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=15151

    I believe that firearms law is preempted by the state of South Carolina.

    Thanks. The best I could find was this. http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t31c018.php. Which, as I read it, basically says: I can shoot as long as I call it a shooting range when I acquire the property, have a proper backstop, put up a sign and shoot at least once every 3 years. But I can't find anything saying I can't shoot within X feet of road or structure for example. I'll take a better look tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    local indoor range

    Maybe you've already found it, but there's an indoor range over on Sam Rittenburg between 61 and Orleans Rd. called Quickshot. Whole lot cheaper than buying a bunch of land to burn some lead.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,151
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    Maybe you've already found it, but there's an indoor range over on Sam Rittenburg between 61 and Orleans Rd. called Quickshot. Whole lot cheaper than buying a bunch of land to burn some lead.
    ATP in Goose Creek, and Trader World on Cross Count(r)y road in NoChuck.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    Maybe you've already found it, but there's an indoor range over on Sam Rittenburg between 61 and Orleans Rd. called Quickshot. Whole lot cheaper than buying a bunch of land to burn some lead.
    ya, iv'e been there and its a nice range. believe me, coming from AZ i do appreciate an indoor range. i still want to buy land for other reasons than just shooting.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ATP in Goose Creek, and Trader World on Cross Count(r)y road in NoChuck.
    speaking of ATP, i'm looking for a class 3 dealer in SC and, from my own research, they sound sub-par. any other class 3 recommendations? the shop i used in AZ set up my trust for free and charged msrp for the few suppressors and AOW i bought. everywhere out here seems inflated (HHB for example charges 275$ for a trust and a 75$ per item!?!?!) but that could be due to the sandy scare.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,151
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate943 View Post
    speaking of ATP, i'm looking for a class 3 dealer in SC.
    RPM Gun Shop sales@rpmguns.com storefront on Maybank Highway near River Road. Sorry, I don't remember the address. I bought pistols from them when they were out near the Angel Oak.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •