• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus vs ati

speedy40165

hello there i have been looking to get a 45 1911 i like the look of the taurus pt-1911 and the ATI 1911 only thing is i have not heard alot about ATI any one have one or have any exp in them i just font want to buy something with out alittle feed bak thank you

moonie

I have no experience with ATI however I do have a PT1911 and I do enjoy it. It is accurate and dependable. Feeds anything I give it. However it is heavy, I usually OC my compact RIA as it is noticeably lighter for long days carrying.

An aluminum frame would help with the weight as will a belt designed for carry (a good carry belt made a big difference for me) but with aluminum you might worry about longevity.

Samopal

I don't own either, but going off my experience with both manufacturers' other products and what I've heard from those who own their 1911s, I'd go with a Taurus. ATI isn't exactly known for importing the best quality firearms or standing behind their products, nor are they known for their customer service. While some people have issues with Taurus, they stand behind their guns 100% and offer lifetime warranties on their products even after the the product has been discontinued and changed hands several times. As for the actual quality of both manufacturers' 1911s I know people who own both and a lot more of the ATIs have to be sent back for service.

Again, none of this is first hand, so take it as you will. There's plenty of information about both on the internet if you want to check out first-hand accounts, both in video and written review form.

Raggs

I owned a Taurus 1911, was fine pistol but the right hand thumb safety came off. not big deal, I am a righty. Sold the pistol shortly thereafter. I have read that ATI customer service leaves a bit to be desired. Have you considered Rock Island as they have an inexpensive 1911 and great customer service.