• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Property, Boys suspended

mpguy

This is going to come on wavy tv10 I think. I'll try to post more info as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

mpguy

Here ya go...

http://www.wavy.com/news/local/va-beach/has-zero-tolerance-gone-too-far
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - A suspended seventh grade Virginia Beach student will find out soon if he is expelled for the rest of the year for shooting an airsoft gun.

Like thousands of others in Hampton Roads, Khalid Caraballo plays with airsoft guns. Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the school bus.

The two seventh graders say they never went to the bus stop; they fired the airsoft guns while on Caraballo's private property.

papa bear

i am in discussion with someone and i mentioned that i think the bus is a school zone for so many ft. i know i read it some where, because it pertained to guns. can't find it now. i might be asking the right question.

the person is wanting a cite . the only thing i have so far is the superintendent of my county's word.

if any of you have a cite on this i would appreciate it. thought it has nothing to do with this case (i assume)

mpguy

i am in discussion with someone and i mentioned that i think the bus is a school zone for so many ft. i know i read it some where, because it pertained to guns. can't find it now. i might be asking the right question.

the person is wanting a cite . the only thing i have so far is the superintendent of my county's word.

if any of you have a cite on this i would appreciate it. thought it has nothing to do with this case (i assume)

Andy Fox list's some quote's during the movie. I'd have to listen to it again to get them. I don't understand if the 911 caller was so concerned about her son, why did she let him go over there the next day and play? Again I'd have to listen to it again, but I think they put it down while the bus was there. Will re-listen to it now.

mpguy

Andy Fox list's some quote's during the movie. I'd have to listen to it again to get them. I don't understand if the 911 caller was so concerned about her son, why did she let him go over there the next day and play? Again I'd have to listen to it again, but I think they put it down while the bus was there. Will re-listen to it now.

Cliff notes.

1. Student's say the boy's weren't near the bus stop.

2. They were in there yard 70 yard's away on there property, not at the bus stop.

3. 911 call, the lady say's she saw them target practing, and knew the gun wasn't real.

4. The caller's son was there the next day playing with the boy...*love that one lol*

5. All shot's according to parent's were on private property.

6. Code say's in the video "No firearm or spring-propelled rifle or pistol discharge within 150 yards of a school building.

7. No shooting pneumatic guns, unless on approved gun range or private property.

8. Boy Did NOT have permission to shoot them from the parent's, apparently a law on the books.

School will most likely use no. 8 to get away with it, but imo it's over bored. Kid's disobey there parent's all the time. School should stay at school, when it comes to raising in the house.

Logan 5

1. Student's say the boy's weren't near the bus stop.
Ok, so what's the problem?

2. They were in there yard 70 yard's away on there property, not at the bus stop.
Ok, so what's the problem?

3. 911 call, the lady say's she saw them target practing, and knew the gun wasn't real.
Then why the hell did she call and report it?

4. The caller's son was there the next day playing with the boy...*love that one lol*
OH MY GAWWWWWWWD! HOLOCAUST! :rolleyes:

5. All shot's according to parent's were on private property.
Ok, 2nd Amendment.

6. Code say's in the video "No firearm or spring-propelled rifle or pistol discharge within 150 yards of a school building.
Ok, that was not violated.

7. No shooting pneumatic guns, unless on approved gun range or private property.
Except it was on private property. 2nd & 3rd Amendment.

8. Boy Did NOT have permission to shoot them from the parent's, apparently a law on the books.
This one confuses me. Can you explain it?

School will most likely use no. 8 to get away with it, but imo it's over bored. Kid's disobey there parent's all the time. School should stay at school, when it comes to raising in the house.
Precisely.

MKEgal

23SEP13 the most overreaching zero tolerance school gun policy so far

Of all the moronic zero-thought gun policies, this has to be the most overreaching so far.

"According to NBC news, two school children have been suspended from school for playing with airsoft guns on private property... The two boys never brought the toy guns to school, they never brought them on the bus, and they never even brought the toy guns near the school property."

"they were recommended to be expelled for a year for 'possession, handling and use of a firearm.' "

And get this - one of the kids playing was the son of the person who called 911!
She knew it was a toy, and in fact her son was back over there a couple days later playing with them again.
Yet she was "uncomfortable". Moron.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53084779/ns/local_news-portsmouth_va/#.UkCPEhCE63M

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Definitive Guide to Virginia's Air Gun Laws.
http://monachuslex.com/?p=1162

B. No such ordinance authorized by subsection A shall prohibit the use of pneumatic guns at facilities approved for shooting ranges, on other property where firearms may be discharged, or on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.4

Bottom line is that this is not within the school's perview - they have no authority to regulate.

stealthyeliminator

Having been very interested in the sport of paintball, this really hits a nerve with me. If they were "playing" "unsafely" or "firing" at someone not participating in the game, that's one thing, but still a thing that should probably still be dealt with outside of the legal system. If the entire ordeal took place on private property and all parties that were "hit" were participating in the game, then what the kids were doing is complete no-news. The kids were playing a game. An extremely safe game, assuming they were wearing protective eye-wear. Mother who called should be charged, IMO. The school should probably be sued as well. Or we can just start suspending any children that participate in hunting with their fathers, or go shooting at the target range with them. While we're at it, let's suspend any student who's parents own firearms and keep them in the house in which the children reside. Let's also suspend any children that play paintball or airsoft. Let's also suspend any children that play first person shooter video games. And children who play RTS games that involve military-type units in the game. Let's poll all of the mothers of children which attend the school to figure out what all makes them uncomfortable, and then send out surveillance teams to each child's house to make sure they never do anything that would make one of the mother's uncomfortable. Let's also spend school resources to purchase manicure kits and new sofas for the mothers, because their comfort should be top priority to us all. Once that's complete, lets set up a home-visit schedule so that mothers can visit other mother's home and enforce their own arbitrary rules on other's children - whatever makes them comfortable should be reasonable.

mpguy

B. No such ordinance authorized by subsection A shall prohibit the use of pneumatic guns at facilities approved for shooting ranges, on other property where firearms may be discharged, (or on or within private property with permission of the owner )or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.

Bottom line is that this is not within the school's perview - they have no authority to regulate.

They didn't have permission from the parent. I put it in parenthesis as I can't bold atm. She stated that in the video. That is what I was referring to, or am I reading to far into it?

Never understood why laws have to be so vague sounding.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

B. No such ordinance authorized by subsection A shall prohibit the use of pneumatic guns at facilities approved for shooting ranges, on other property where firearms may be discharged, or on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor thereof when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property.

They didn't have permission from the parent. I put it in parenthesis as I can't bold atm. She stated that in the video. That is what I was referring to, or am I reading to far into it?

Never understood why laws have to be so vague sounding.

Understand what you mean regarding vagueness. The kids probably did have permission, just not renewed that individual time.

Still it is my contention that neither the school nor the school board may regulate this activity nor penalize anyone for violation. The Code of Virginia reserves that right to the state.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I have walked right past school buses many times while OC'ing when they have taken kids to local businesses and never had any problems. I don't believe there is anything regarding a "distance" when they are not on school property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I have walked right past school buses many times while OC'ing when they have taken kids to local businesses and never had any problems. I don't believe there is anything regarding a "distance" when they are not on school property.
School bus stops are not GFSZ by federal or Virginia statute and local municipality may not enact such.

There was a case in Chesterfield where a woman was charged with brandishing at a bus stop. She was not charged with possession at a bus stop.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/c...cle_7ad30fd4-1cfb-58c0-a4de-733a566062c3.html

nuc65

Activist Member
Ridiculous

I think there are other issues too. The kid was suspended, why, what action caused harm or gave the school the right to restrict his right to an education? No action was engaged upon on school grounds, no threat was made toward the school or another school student.

The school has the right to punish your child because they were playing with a toy gun? As a kid, I and my friends used to play cowboys and indians at recess, I can't imagine the horror that would cause now days.

[h=1]Suspended Student May Be Expelled for Rest of the Year for Playing With Toy Gun…in His Own Yard[/h]"http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/suspended-student-may-be-expelled-for-rest-of-the-year-for-playing-with-toy-gunin-his-own-yard/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=ShareButtons"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Grapeshot covered all the school's arguments. The BB Gun Bill removed any authority to regulate the use of the airsoft gun on private property and you can look long and hard and never find anywhere that says a Bus Stop is a GFZ.

The School System is full of it with this kid!

wrearick

Virginia Beach 7th grader EXPELLED for shooting Air-Soft gun in his front yard!

I posted links on this in the News section of the main forum because I think it represents more than just a Virginia Issue http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...gun-on-private-property&p=1987934#post1987934

Grapeshot, feel free to move the thread to the viriginia subforum if you believe it is more appropriate here.

Posting this to avoid getting multiple threads running on the same topic