• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Property, Boys suspended

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Frankly, the boys demonstrated the height of poor judgment. I wouldn't blink at a short-term suspension (one or two days), not for anything related to "firearms", but simply for shooting at kids waiting at a bus stop (again, seriously bad judgment).

Unsurprisingly, however, this zero tolerance crap has led to a response drastically out of proportion to the "offense" committed.

WalkingWolf

Frankly, the boys demonstrated the height of poor judgment. I wouldn't blink at a short-term suspension (one or two days), not for anything related to "firearms", but simply for shooting at kids waiting at a bus stop (again, seriously bad judgment).

Unsurprisingly, however, this zero tolerance crap has led to a response drastically out of proportion to the "offense" committed.

Maybe it was a long gun airsoft...

Defrock

The story is very confusing. At one point it states one kid shooting a target with a backstop. Then that a group was playing with each other on private property (shooting at each other with each person's known consent). Finally that some kids were getting shot at while at the bus stop. The article also states that the bus stop was 70 yards away and then states that it was 10 yards away. :confused:

wrearick

What a bunch of maroons. How could any cop with a conscience make this arrest? :cuss::banghead:

They were not arrested and the police have not filed any charges. The school took this action on their own! As the young man points out, this will ruin his chances of getting accepted at a good college as his record now reflects that he was suspended for a firearms violation.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In fact the boys were playing with thier airsoft guns while waiting for the school bus to arrive.

Their parents and their parents' attorneys would disagree with this - or should disagree.

One waits for the school bus at a school bus stop.

These urchin future killer mercenaries were playing in their yard before it came time to move to the school bus stop.

Schools have extended their reach over children to now include what happens at school bus stops, which may be acceptable depending on the specific activities they are seeking to control. But to try and extend their reach to include what a child does between crossing the threshold of their home and arriving at the school bus stop is over-reaching. In my neighborhood the school bus stops are at designated locations - often at the end of the driveway of a single-family home or apartment complex. In the mornings I see mothers supervising children at play back from the school bus stop - probably mostly to keep them from darting out into the street in front of traffic as opposed to umpireing hopscotch and jumprope and various ball games. While 12-year olds do not need the close supervision that 6-year olds may require I am fairly sure there is some form of parental supervision in action.

If it were my kid my attorney would be filing civil suits for all sorts of violations of privacy, interfering with parental right, and loss of consortium.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
One thing I'm not clear on – which to me makes a difference (though the punishment is overboard in either event).

All the shots were fired "on" (i.e. from) private property. OK. Did any of these shots leave private property and hit friends waiting for a bus, at an actual bus stop?

If they were in fact completely containing their play (including the trajectories of all projectiles) on private property, then I fail to see what standing the school has to even acknowledge anything "happened", much less issue sanctions.

If, on the other hand, projectiles left private property to strike kids (friends or not) waiting at a bus stop, who were not at that moment mutually participating (which is what I suspect happened, knowing kids and based on the fact that this caught anybody's attention at all), my statements regarding bad judgment stand.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Please cite where they were shooting at kids waiting at a bus stop.

All of what I have seen says that all involved were on private property some distance away.

Please read the OP and included link.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Am I to assume that the school district is expanding the school bus "stop" any further than the public right of way? If so, did the school district purchase those rights from the property owner? :) (sounds of the 5th Amendment being trotted into court are getting louder)

wylde007

Here is the Response I Received

Mr. %%%:
For your information: Other students walking by the private property of the students suspended were shot by these students and reported the incident and minor injuries (welts) at school. Airsoft shots were taken both from private property and in the street near the bus stop at other students.This is why action was taken by our School Board that includes temporary reassignment of the students but not expulsion.
Dan Edwards
School Board Chairman
These people still make me livid. I hope they get sued into the poor house.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mr. %%%:
For your information: Other students walking by the private property of the students suspended were shot by these students and reported the incident and minor injuries (welts) at school. Airsoft shots were taken both from private property and in the street near the bus stop at other students.This is why action was taken by our School Board that includes temporary reassignment of the students but not expulsion.
Dan Edwards
School Board Chairman

Even if true (1st I've heard of it), from where does he get his authority to police, judge, and punish for what happens on private property or public streets?

mpguy

Then why not say that in the initial report? There were other students that came forward, and said they were no where near the bus stop.

Hmmm. wrong quote, will fix that later.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

carolina guy

Mr. %%%:
Dan Edwards
School Board Chairman

Sounds like the other students' parents should have called the police or dealt with the parents in time-honored tradition. Does he say who took the airsofts??

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Other students walking by the private property of the students suspended were shot by these students and reported the incident and minor injuries (welts) at school. Airsoft shots were taken both from private property and in the street near the bus stop at other students.

I called it. Not like it was hard to read between the lines; kids are kids – they're pretty predictably stupid.

If their "victims" bothered to report it, they were presumably unwilling to be shot and/or not actually playing. Between adults, such behavior would be tantamount to criminal battery. Hence, as I initially said: some punishment is appropriate – for their own good if nothing else... Kids need to learn judgment before the lack of it gets them into real trouble. That said, again kids are kids – de facto expulsion is real trouble, and goes way too far.

More zero tolerance idiocy. :banghead:

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I said a while back. We MUST take these silly school suspensions for toy guns more seriously.....

Now, now. It doesn't appear that's what happened here at all.

Punishment out of proportion? God yes. But, like the "liberals" I hear so much about, y'all are focusing on the "gun" and ignoring the actual behavior behind this incident.

Ironic.

Last edited: