Thread: Holster for cold weather

Holster for cold weather

I'm looking for a holster system that holds the gun away from the body just a bit so I can tuck my coat behind it. Suggestions?

I forgot to mention the gun is a Ruger SR9C.

The serpa sets out from the body, and they make a drop attachment for it.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Mid or low ride safariland level 2 or 3 and a coat that isn't too long, and you'll be good to go. The same holster will work year round in any weather.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

A serpa holds it a bit away and with a quick disconnect system attached you can get it a bit further away from your body as well.

If you have a favorite brand, go to their site and search "offset holster" and "duty holster".

If you have no favorite brand, search using those terms. Be prepared to see tens of thousands of hits. Happy weeding out.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Or you could cut side vents into the coat or jacket like I did with a heavy winter pea coat I purchased last year. After measuring and cutting the side vents I then went out to JoAnn Fabric and matched the fabric for my pea coat and had a tailor sew the coat back up in such a professional manner that it looked as if the coat was purposely made with the side vents.

Where I live we have a huge stray dog problem, they roam in packs and tend to come out when it's dark to forage for food. When I'm brushing/scraping off snow and ice from my vehicle in the darkness of a winter morning/evening, and I spot a pack of strays near me it gives me great peace of mind knowing I can still acess my weapon in a flash, cutting the coat was well worth the effort.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

We are lucky, it rarely gets that cold here. Indeed having access to your tool of safety is so very important. If you cannot get to it, useless it becomes.

We both have heavy military surplus coats for those rare days. The coats came with belts for snugging up the coat around the waist. They were removed and the gun belt is used in place of them.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I personally prefer the Safariland ALS series. They are available in a variety of mounts. There is also the GCode quick disconnect system that may be an option. They are listed as well as many others and linked. Feel free to checkout all the links I compiled in the Holster Options Document at http://tinyurl.com/New-To_Guns

I just added a couple new brands and options

http://www.foxxholsters.com/ Great colors and leather finishes available for around $60 or less

https://aliengearholsters.com/ Great looking thick leather IWB holsters for $30 and free Kydex trades for life
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by 91 whiskey View Post
    I'm looking for a holster system that holds the gun away from the body just a bit so I can tuck my coat behind it. Suggestions?
    Tucking an open coat doesn't sound like it is particularly cold. I sized my Beltman.com belts to be worn over winter wear, my heaviest coat, with my SERPA holster. If it is warm enough to wear a jacket then I can open carry under the jacket or conceal in an IWB/SOB.

Wisconsin gun laws are useful and flexible.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.