Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Cop caught stealing repeal NY "SAFE" Act signs

  1. #1
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Cop caught stealing repeal NY "SAFE" Act signs

    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...peal-safe-act/

    Did somebody just earn themselves a little paid vaca? NY, what a cesspool.

    edit: first link was wrong
    Last edited by 77zach; 09-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Officer Balding reminds me of this guy:


  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...peal-safe-act/

    Did somebody just earn themselves a little paid vaca? NY, what a cesspool.

    edit: first link was wrong
    This appears to be a hostile act.

    I'm sure that the police are happy that folks don't have guns. Oh, wait, they still do.

  4. #4
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Cop caught stealing repeal NY "SAFE" Act signs

    Many cities across the country have very strict sign ordianances. Often they go unchallenged by the public. Who wants to pay a lawyer $10,000 for a fight over a $25 sign? Cities/Police know this and take full advantage of this. I bet that if the sign depicted a US flag with the words, "Donate to your city to keep you safe." It would not only be there still, that very same officer who removed it, would be protecting it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Many cities across the country have very strict sign ordianances. Often they go unchallenged by the public. Who wants to pay a lawyer $10,000 for a fight over a $25 sign? Cities/Police know this and take full advantage of this. I bet that if the sign depicted a US flag with the words, "Donate to your city to keep you safe." It would not only be there still, that very same officer who removed it, would be protecting it.
    According to a quick review of the Somers, NY city ordinances (http://www.egovlink.com/public_docum...egulations.pdf):

    § 214-56. Approval; maintenance; discontinuance of tenancy.
    A. All signs under these regulations shall require the approval of the Zoning
    Enforcement Officer unless otherwise noted and shall meet

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    According to a quick review of the Somers, NY city ordinances (http://www.egovlink.com/public_docum...egulations.pdf):

    § 214-56. Approval; maintenance; discontinuance of tenancy.
    A. All signs under these regulations shall require the approval of the Zoning
    Enforcement Officer unless otherwise noted and shall meet
    Another law cite:

    Amendment I

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    According to a quick review of the Somers, NY city ordinances (http://www.egovlink.com/public_docum...egulations.pdf):

    § 214-56. Approval; maintenance; discontinuance of tenancy.
    A. All signs under these regulations shall require the approval of the Zoning
    Enforcement Officer unless otherwise noted and shall meet
    So is the officer guilty of theft and destruction of evidence?
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member Gil223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Weber County Utah
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Another law cite:

    Amendment I

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Congress hasn't met in NY for several years now, so it is doubtful that they made the SAFE law.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    Congress hasn't met in NY for several years now, so it is doubtful that they made the SAFE law.
    Ever heard of incorporation?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Ever heard of incorporation?
    I have I have.

    Its a legal idea that a court has to review a law to see if it applies to another gov't body. Its a made up concept, made by courts to limit our rights.

    Right? What do I win? I gotta win something.


  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I have I have.

    Its a legal idea that a court has to review a law to see if it applies to another gov't body. Its a made up concept, made by courts to limit our rights.

    Right? What do I win? I gotta win something.

    You lose, because I disagree with your characterization.

    Incorporation is a highly reasonable concept, considering it refers exclusively to the Bill of Rights. Tell me, David, do you believe government should be able to violate the second amendment, so long as it does so at the state level, rather than the Federal?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Another law cite:

    Amendment I

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Not applicable. Congress didn't make the law, the City of Somers, NY did. How is the 1A applicable to city ordinances? (This is Devil's Advocate, I'm not for the ordinance, nor the actions of the LEO).

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Not applicable. Congress didn't make the law, the City of Somers, NY did. How is the 1A applicable to city ordinances? (This is Devil's Advocate, I'm not for the ordinance, nor the actions of the LEO).
    *Sigh*

    Incorporation of the Bill of Rights

  14. #14
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    *Sigh*
    City ordinance trumps Constitution. Duh.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Either way, the cop trespassed and stole/destroyed private property without due process.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member Black_water's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    On The Border in AZ
    Posts
    152
    Not likely that this cop is doing code enforcement, cities have people that do that and they are not cops.

    A corrupt cop in NY no less...what a shock.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Either way, the cop trespassed and stole/destroyed private property without due process.
    Bingo !

    Its theft at least.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •