• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop caught stealing repeal NY "SAFE" Act signs

FreeInAZ

Many cities across the country have very strict sign ordianances. Often they go unchallenged by the public. Who wants to pay a lawyer $10,000 for a fight over a $25 sign? Cities/Police know this and take full advantage of this. I bet that if the sign depicted a US flag with the words, "Donate to your city to keep you safe." It would not only be there still, that very same officer who removed it, would be protecting it. :rolleyes:

mikeyb

Many cities across the country have very strict sign ordianances. Often they go unchallenged by the public. Who wants to pay a lawyer $10,000 for a fight over a $25 sign? Cities/Police know this and take full advantage of this. I bet that if the sign depicted a US flag with the words, "Donate to your city to keep you safe." It would not only be there still, that very same officer who removed it, would be protecting it. :rolleyes:

According to a quick review of the Somers, NY city ordinances (http://www.egovlink.com/public_docu...ces/Zoning Regulations/Zoning Regulations.pdf):

§ 214-56. Approval; maintenance; discontinuance of tenancy.
A. All signs under these regulations shall require the approval of the Zoning
Enforcement Officer unless otherwise noted and shall meet

davidmcbeth

Banned
According to a quick review of the Somers, NY city ordinances (http://www.egovlink.com/public_docu...ces/Zoning Regulations/Zoning Regulations.pdf):

§ 214-56. Approval; maintenance; discontinuance of tenancy.
A. All signs under these regulations shall require the approval of the Zoning
Enforcement Officer unless otherwise noted and shall meet

Another law cite:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

Gil223

Another law cite:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Congress hasn't met in NY for several years now, so it is doubtful that they made the SAFE law. :rolleyes:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I have I have.

Its a legal idea that a court has to review a law to see if it applies to another gov't body. Its a made up concept, made by courts to limit our rights.

Right? What do I win? I gotta win something.

:)

You lose, because I disagree with your characterization.

Incorporation is a highly reasonable concept, considering it refers exclusively to the Bill of Rights. Tell me, David, do you believe government should be able to violate the second amendment, so long as it does so at the state level, rather than the Federal?

mikeyb

Another law cite:

Amendment I

Not applicable. Congress didn't make the law, the City of Somers, NY did. How is the 1A applicable to city ordinances? (This is Devil's Advocate, I'm not for the ordinance, nor the actions of the LEO).

Black_water

Not likely that this cop is doing code enforcement, cities have people that do that and they are not cops.

A corrupt cop in NY no less...what a shock.