• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High crime street.

7om5hipp

Apparently I live on a street that has a high crime rate. Only reason I say this is because last night, about 8pm, I was standing outside of my apartment talking to my folks on the phone. About twenty minutes later two police cars drive by slowly, both with their heads turned watching me rather then the road, I think nothing of it and continue with my conversation until I see the same two cops and cars drive past again about five minutes later.

Well that caused me a laugh and I mentioned it to my dad, he asked why and I mentioned that it might be due to the pistol on my hip. Needless to say the same two cars drove past about ten different times, at 9pm my wife came out to enjoy the night air and talk, same two cars drove by about 10 more times, and I promise you guys that I am not kidding. So it is a good thing that I carry since I seem to live on a street that requires constant police patrol.

Anyone else have to deal with this sort of thing in your towns?

All the cops in my small town know me and know who am. Funny thing they don't ever drive by my house. They use the other block for their travels.

7om5hipp

Small town here as well, no stop lights or anything. I am the only one who carries that I know of, and I have had one run in with the police so they know I carry. Still makes me laugh that they drove past.

Superlite27

Off topic, but.........

Several years ago, I was having a few beers at a Pizza joint a few blocks from my house. After awhile, I realized it was late at night and I had imbibed a few more beers than I had planned. Therefore, since my house was only a few blocks away, I left my car and walked home.

During my walk, a squad car passed me, slowed down, then turned the corner. Several minutes later, as I turned onto my front walk....the reds and blues came on. They had turned around and, unbeknownst to me, were following about a half block behind with their lights "blacked out". When I approached my house, they initiated a stop.

WAS I PISSED! I gave them the entire, "What crime am I being investigated for?!?" "What probable cause do you have to stop me?" "I'M IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY! HOW DARE YOU DETAIN ME!"

After checking my ID, (Which I pointed out, I wasn't obligated to provide) they said O.K. and left. ****ing ***holes. Pestering citizens for simply walking down the street.

Upon sobering up the following day, I realized I probably went a little overboard. It dawned on me that, had the person walking down a dark street at 1 a.m. and approaching my house NOT been me, I would have wanted them to investigate someone walking up to my house.

Yes, they were wrong to simply "investigate" a person for walking down a street. No probable cause, no suspicion of illegal activity. But, now that I think about it, I am grateful there are cops out there who are actually taking initiative to drive around neighborhoods watching for crimes to happen instead of simply "putting in hours" drinking coffee and eating doughnuts.

Had it been a burglar approaching my house to break in, I would have complained about the stupid, worthless cops not doing their jobs. Now that they "investigated" me....I complained about them whent they DID do something. What a thankless job it is when you get bitched about regardless of what you do.

So, if you weren't "accosted" or harrassed by the officers, I'd be thankful. They obviously observed an armed individual and correctly determined that there wasn't any need to "intervene". They obviously (and correctly) figured you must have been lawfully armed, and therefore, left you alone while still remaining observant.

Sounds like some professionals simply doing their job. I would think you'd be glad to have them in the neighborhood "keeping an eye on things" in the times you are unable to watch everythng yourself.

Last edited:

7om5hipp

I would agree with you, had they not driven past me...one behind the other every five minutes or so. They know who I was because one of the cops was the same one involved with my run in with the cops before.

Superlite27

Ahhhhh. It's beginning to look like a pattern.

You might consider investing in some kind of recording device.

After all, if anything "untoward" happens in the future, it's always a comfort to have documentation.

Especially documentation concerning a pattern of harassment.

Other than cost, I see absolutely no negatives to having a small digital voice or video recorder at the ready.

If it turns out you do eventually need it, the evidence it provides could potentially pay for itself many times over.

(Well, it won't have to pay for itself since the police department will probably be doing it, instead.)

7om5hipp

Yeah. I am looking into getting a small one just for audio. Town does not have many cops, so you would think they all knew I was legal for a while now. They have not stopped, but they just always stare when they drive past. Thinking of setting out a chair and drinking sweet tea and waving as they drive past me, lol. Maybe even have a sign that says. "Eyes on the road"