• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Policy at my kids school.

Logan 5

Is there some law somewhere that says it's illegal for you to ask them these questions?

So out of my curiosity I went to http://michheadstart.org/contact-us and asked them this-
What are the rules regarding parents that are the legal owners of firearms, and the firearms are at home? Does this remove them from the Head Start programs? What if one or both of the parents are lawful holders of state concealed carry permits?

Perhaps I missed the part where you said that you asked them about this.

I never said anything about you, your name or your nick, so there should be no connection that anyone can see. Other than posting on the same forum.

Raggs

Is there some law somewhere that says it's illegal for you to ask them these questions?

So out of my curiosity I went to http://michheadstart.org/contact-us and asked them this-

I never said anything about you, your name or your nick, so there should be no connection that anyone can see. Other than posting on the same forum.

his question was can they really kick his kid out, do you think that asking headstart if their information in their booklet is legal will work?

OneForAll

My sarcasm meter does not seem to be working this morning. Either that or perhaps I missed any point you were trying to make. I figure best to ask here before getting my kid who gets excited by the sight of a school bus removed from the program because his father exercises a right. Treading water to the deep end is a whole lot safer than jumping in and realizing you cannot swim.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Why not? The cops often carry in schools with level 2-4 Safariland rigs, and I see no exemption for them here. ;)

Somewhat OT: Interesting thing besides no exemption for them in the Head Start regs...LEOs also have no exemption from the federal gfz law if they are off duty... unless they have a CPL...

Regarding carry in a home that runs a Head Start program, it appears that firearms could be kept in an area of the home that is not accessible to the children. If that were the case, OC or CC around the kids would be out but "keeping" a firearm in an area of the home that you keep children out of seems "legal". I'm not a lawyer so take this conjecture for what it's worth...

Last edited:

MKEgal

Head Start Program Performance Standards
(2) Injury prevention. Grantee and delegate agencies must ensure that:
(vii) There are no firearms or other weapons kept in areas occupied or accessible to children;
(viii) Alcohol and other drugs are not consumed while children are present or accessible to children at any time
Notice the difference?
It says drugs can't be accessable to or used around kids,
but firearms can't be accessable to or stored around them.
A pistol in a holster is not stored, nor is it accessable.

Merriam-Webster says stored means:
"to put (something that is not being used) in a place where it is available, where it can be kept safely, etc."

Does that booklet your kid came home with also mention that it's just as prohibited to smoke around the kids, or for any parent or childcare worker to have cigarettes in her/his purse or pocket while around the kids? Or tylenol, or a prescription drug. (After all, if they're reasoning that a holster is accessable to a 3yo, then certainly their purse or pocket is accessable too, right?) :p

22Luke36

Somewhat OT: Interesting thing besides no exemption for them in the Head Start regs...LEOs also have no exemption from the federal gfz law if they are off duty... unless they have a CPL...

Regarding carry in a home that runs a Head Start program, it appears that firearms could be kept in an area of the home that is not accessible to the children. If that were the case, OC or CC around the kids would be out but "keeping" a firearm in an area of the home that you keep children out of seems "legal". I'm not a lawyer so take this conjecture for what it's worth...

I would Ass/U/Me that a homeowner and residents would be exempted from such an intrusion?

Logan 5

My sarcasm meter does not seem to be working this morning. Either that or perhaps I missed any point you were trying to make. I figure best to ask here before getting my kid who gets excited by the sight of a school bus removed from the program because his father exercises a right. Treading water to the deep end is a whole lot safer than jumping in and realizing you cannot swim.

You missed the point I was making...ok. I made an inquiry and if they respond I'll get you their answer. Essentially if they receive any funding from any government program then now they cannot punish your child or you for your lawful exercise of a Constitutional right. On the other hand what they really do in real life is completely different.

That is why I suggested that you could ask them via e-mail. What are they gonna do? Try to trace back the e-mail to you and see who you are? IIRC there's a couple federal laws that say they can't do that, but then I could be wrong about that.

I suggest getting a copy of the rule, regulation, laws and by laws for the group and reading up, and it wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer.

Personally I think you're paranoid, but that's me.

OneForAll

You missed the point I was making...ok. I made an inquiry and if they respond I'll get you their answer. Essentially if they receive any funding from any government program then now they cannot punish your child or you for your lawful exercise of a Constitutional right. On the other hand what they really do in real life is completely different.

That is why I suggested that you could ask them via e-mail. What are they gonna do? Try to trace back the e-mail to you and see who you are? IIRC there's a couple federal laws that say they can't do that, but then I could be wrong about that.

I suggest getting a copy of the rule, regulation, laws and by laws for the group and reading up, and it wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer.

Personally I think you're paranoid, but that's me.

How did anything I type indicate, 1. I was paranoid, 2. not looking into this matter myself, 3. speaking with attorneys, and 4. anything else you are assuming? My comment to you was based on you assuming I was not fighting for my rights whether they know who I am or not. I had a simple question into the matter and then I went from there. As far as now my son catches a bus and I plan on doing what I can to get this rule removed from their B.S. policy. Thank you for inquiring on the subject assuming I was paranoid and would not do it myself.

Last edited:

Logan 5

You sound paranoid, but then I also havn't seen a scanned copy of the booklet. THAT mattes an awful lot. And when you say...

My son goes to Head Start at a public school in Davison MI. Today he came home with a booklet in which it stated this,

I. Guns, firearms, and ammunition

A. Anyone, Parent, Child, Visitor, or employee, found to be in the possession of a firearm or ammunition during Head Start programming, or while on the property of any Head Start Facility, the following will occur:
1. 911 is called and a Police Report is filed.
2. Family is removed permanently from all Head Start services.

Special Note: If, as a result of Court ordered treatment, it is determined that re-entry into Head Start is recommended, Head Start staff, appropriate Professional and Building Managers, as applicable, will consider the request for re-entry.
It sounds like paranoia, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but the school, especially HeadStart cannot and likely will not do or say anything about what you have in your car or home unless it poses as a threat to them. If you walk into their school packing, yeah they're gonna have a problem with that. If you have a CPL and you're at work or at the store or at a gas station or even in your front yard, I seriously doubt they'll do anything. If it concerns you, ask them. You have that right.

You posted and asked for views. So I gave you my view. And that offends you?

OneForAll

You sound paranoid, but then I also havn't seen a scanned copy of the booklet. THAT mattes an awful lot. And when you say...

It sounds like paranoia, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but the school, especially HeadStart cannot and likely will not do or say anything about what you have in your car or home unless it poses as a threat to them. If you walk into their school packing, yeah they're gonna have a problem with that. If you have a CPL and you're at work or at the store or at a gas station or even in your front yard, I seriously doubt they'll do anything. If it concerns you, ask them. You have that right.

You posted and asked for views. So I gave you my view. And that offends you?

I asked if they could kick my kid out for having a firearm on the property, not a opinion (view as you put it). I never said anything about them kicking him out for me having my firearm at work, store, gas station, or even on my own property. Someone else brought that up. Read the thread minus my responses to you and find out exactly what I said. Sorry if you think I am offended, more annoyed at the whole situation and the fact that you seem to think I am paranoid and not taking care of the issue.

Last edited:

Logan 5

If you carry a firearm onto the school property then I think they have that option., even if you have a CPL. I think that should be covered on the CPL, but I could be wrong.

Jared

Dr Todd,

State and local LEO's do have FGFSZA exemption off duty if they are carrying a firearm that is owned by the government and as long as they are within department policy as per 18 USC 925(a)(1)

If they meet this requirement, then nothing in Chapter 44 of Title 18 applies to them (except for lautenburg domestic violence). If it's a personal gun owned by the state or local LEO, then your assessment would be correct.

Logan 5

I stand by what I said- If you carry a firearm onto the school property then I think they have that option, even if you have a CPL.

OneForAll

I stand by what I said- If you carry a firearm onto the school property then I think they have that option, even if you have a CPL.

I knew that already, but I still believe it infringes on my rights and plan to fight this as much as possible with out getting myself arrested or my kid removed from the program.

Logan 5

Ok, whichever. I don't think they'll do anything to you or your kid unless you step on school property armed. But you know that better than I do.

I wish you well.

OneForAll

Ok, whichever. I don't think they'll do anything to you or your kid unless you step on school property armed. But you know that better than I do.

I wish you well.

What? All I said is I knew that, (they could remove my kid if I go on the property) and I wanted to fight it because I believe what they are doing is wrong. Now you think I know better than you, lol..... I think my sarcasm meter is fixed because I caught that one. I wish you well too.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Dr Todd,

State and local LEO's do have FGFSZA exemption off duty if they are carrying a firearm that is owned by the government and as long as they are within department policy as per 18 USC 925(a)(1)

If they meet this requirement, then nothing in Chapter 44 of Title 18 applies to them (except for lautenburg domestic violence). If it's a personal gun owned by the state or local LEO, then your assessment would be correct.

Thanks Jarod...I only know this because an off-duty officer USED to volunteer at a school in Grand Rapids and ran into an issue a few years ago. I still can learn a few things here :D

Do local officers commonly carry a department-issued firearm when off duty? The local LEOs I know don't but don't know if that's just a local choice or something commonly done.

Back OT: OneForAll, I think you are handling this appropriately. If you do hear back from them, I'd really like to know how they respond.

Last edited: