• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello all, Just moved to Wisconsin from Nevada.

sippycup

I am still trying to get used to the Wisconsin OC laws, and as soon as I find a steady job, I will be getting my Concealed Carry Permit. Nevada was a lot easier to figure out, as it applies to open carry. I have a S&W M&P .45 ACP that slides into a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my hip. My GF carries a compact XD in 9mm in a Blackhawk. I am a little apprehensive to OC here, until I memorize the no-no's in Wisco. I live about 20 minutes outside of Madison in a small village. Nice to meet you all, and I would enjoy an OC meet with my gf and a member or two from here. Also, any advice on indoor pistol ranges in the Madison area would be appreciated.

Dave, aka Sippycup.

sippycup

Welcome to Wisconsin and to OCDO-Wisconsin.

Which Wisconsin Open Carry laws are an issue, please? They're pretty much like other states prohibited places; schools, government, taverns, courthouses, ... Of course the devil is in the details, so here is the link URL to ALL Wisconsin statutes

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/prefaces/toc

In the state of Nevada, schools and some government buildings are off limits. Aside from that, private businesses cannot make it illegal to OC into their building. They can only ask you to leave, at which point refusal brings a trespassing charge. I am slightly unclear on carrying in a vehicle, as NV allowed the gun anywhere in the vehicle, except for concealed upon your person without a CCP. As I understand, in Wisconsin, the firearm must be openly visible from the outside of the vehicle. Is this correct?

Law abider

In the state of Nevada, schools and some government buildings are off limits. Aside from that, private businesses cannot make it illegal to OC into their building. They can only ask you to leave, at which point refusal brings a trespassing charge. I am slightly unclear on carrying in a vehicle, as NV allowed the gun anywhere in the vehicle, except for concealed upon your person without a CCP. As I understand, in Wisconsin, the firearm must be openly visible from the outside of the vehicle. Is this correct?

Welcome to the land of cheese heads! Just get a CCL and you'll be fine in a car/vehicle. Yes your gun must be seen at all times without a CCL, but you know how the cops are... "I didn't see it for a millionth second, so you are guilty of concealment sir"

sippycup

[/B]

Welcome to the land of cheese heads! Just get a CCL and you'll be fine in a car/vehicle. Yes your gun must be seen at all times without a CCL, but you know how the cops are... "I didn't see it for a millionth second, so you are guilty of concealment sir"

Exactly what I don't want to happen. Nevada made that much easier, and I don't want an issue with Wisco LEO's. Nevada was very open and accepting of OC, and I have some stories of just how accepting they were while I was there. I didn't have to worry about my sidearm wherever I went. CCL is on my list, but unfortunately, until I find employment, I cannot spare the application fee for myself and my significant other. The precedent alone, for visibility in a vehicle is enough for me to not OC in the meantime. I am a little saddened by this, as I don't feel free to OC the way I am used to.

Law abider

Exactly what I don't want to happen. Nevada made that much easier, and I don't want an issue with Wisco LEO's. Nevada was very open and accepting of OC, and I have some stories of just how accepting they were while I was there. I didn't have to worry about my sidearm wherever I went. CCL is on my list, but unfortunately, until I find employment, I cannot spare the application fee for myself and my significant other. The precedent alone, for visibility in a vehicle is enough for me to not OC in the meantime. I am a little saddened by this, as I don't feel free to OC the way I am used to.

You'll get used to it. There are many on our sub forum that have the working knowledge and experience, like Nightmare, more than me so they'll reply back. As far as I understand, Madison and Milwaukee leos may give you a hard time, esp Milwaukee leos. In my area Hudson.River Falls, Ellsworth Prescott I don't have a problem. I have a constitutional originalist leo buddy. I have not been stopped by an overzealous/ misinformed leo yet. But you never know!

chowda

Welcome to WI.
I hope you are renting ;) I'd steer clear if madison as it's a liberal/progressive cesspool. You can be as legal as a beagle, but still run into problems there because, well, it's madison and unless you're a liberal/progressive and/or protected minority class, you won't win.

Do you farm or something?

sippycup

Welcome to WI.
I hope you are renting ;) I'd steer clear if madison as it's a liberal/progressive cesspool. You can be as legal as a beagle, but still run into problems there because, well, it's madison and unless you're a liberal/progressive and/or protected minority class, you won't win.

I do not. I have in the past, but no longer. I just enjoy the small town life. I have very little interest in going to Madison regardless, unless I need groceries or supplies that I can't get here.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Welcome to WI.

Liar. I've open carried in Madison for 3 1/2 years without incident. Stop making things up.

MKEgal

Welcome aboard.
I second this:
Running Wolf said:
For WI OC check out: New to Open Carrying in WI if you haven't already.

You might also benefit from a free cc class from Wisconsin Carry.
Their class schedule is here: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/classes
There's a non-WCI class showing up in Madison,
and a WCI class in Brownsville (which is recommended - I've sat in on one of this instructor's classes & he's pretty good).
Or keep your eyes open as more classes are posted.
The WCI class is based on the state curriculum, & covers state laws extensively. (Also the basics that are required about safety, use of force, etc.)

sippycup

Thanks, MKE, and I think I have figured out why your location shows as "In front of my computer". After reading the troubles you had the second go round, the location of the laptop changes, as does your location.

Anyways, I may indeed have to check out the WCI class. Being that my S/O carries everywhere I do, and we are both very familiar with each others guns, she will be taking the class side by side with me. I want to know everything that she hears and sees as it refers to firearms, since we put each others' protection in our own hands daily, along with our 1 yr-old. Anything that I can learn with her, or fill in anything that may not be in the class, but applies to us personally will be a plus. As soon as the cash is available, there is little more important than a CCL class that I can think of. I appreciate the warm welcome, guys!

chowda

I do not. I have in the past, but no longer. I just enjoy the small town life.
:D Then also be sure to travel around WI as it's littered with small towns and is pretty nice. western wi along the mississippi is pretty neat. I prefer central/ne wisconsin. Where you live is sort of wide open and flat, sort of like how some places are out west. Enjoy the state and it's people.

chowda

Dress in all black, carry an ak on your back, heck put a mask on as it's your "right", then walk down state street. Then sit at the end of the street on the mall and take in the views. Let us know how that works out for you.

7om5hipp

Telling a man to where a mask...Not cool, you should never tell someone that they are to ugly to show their face...Hehe.

chowda

3 1/2 years. No negative incidents. Liar.
So you have walked up and down state street with an 'assault weapon' on your back with no problems? That's weird as I know someone that has tried to give out bible tracts and has met a lot of resistance, threatened violence and the madison PD forced that person to leave or else be arrested. I guess that person should have just dressed in black and had an ak, so it'd be no problems.....

Got any videos of you walking down state street or sitting at that place at the end of it with your fal? Or if ya want to go full on granola, how about watching the bands at the willy street fair with an ak? Be careful there though as that area has a lot of lesbian cops living there....probably 1/3 of the madison pd. Heck, have you and 10 of your black clad, 'assault weapon' adorned brethren walk around the square during farmers market. Heck I could make the logical (here) extension of that and wear masks and of course, fake grenade launchers. I mean, after all, this is all about you and your rights, no? Maybe you'll strike a lotto with a lawsuit or at the least, get some internet cred by being confronted by cops and scaring people. Now that's something to be proud of!

sippycup

I can understand 3.5 years of non-negative interaction while OC-ing, but it is all in how you carry yourself from my experience. You show up with camo/black on, and facepaint and a bandanna wrapped around your head, you will probably get screwed with. I have always made myself easy to approach, made my sidearm visible when I enter a private business, and kept a smile on my face. However, this has mostly been in the western states, like Utah, Nevada, Idaho. Wisco, and seemingly everything on this side of the Mississippi is a little less friendly, accepting, and/or used to seeing average people walk around while exercising their rights. I guess that is just one thing that must be given up when moving 2000 miles east. I kinda wish the people in this state had started exposing safe and conscientiously owned firearms to the sheeple sooner. By this point, it would be as "normal" as it is where I just moved from. I guess the facts are what they are, and this will just have to be something I get used to.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
So you have walked up and down state street with an 'assault weapon' on your back with no problems? That's weird as I know someone that has tried to give out bible tracts and has met a lot of resistance, threatened violence and the madison PD forced that person to leave or else be arrested. I guess that person should have just dressed in black and had an ak, so it'd be no problems.....

Got any videos of you walking down state street or sitting at that place at the end of it with your fal? Or if ya want to go full on granola, how about watching the bands at the willy street fair with an ak? Be careful there though as that area has a lot of lesbian cops living there....probably 1/3 of the madison pd. Heck, have you and 10 of your black clad, 'assault weapon' adorned brethren walk around the square during farmers market. Heck I could make the logical (here) extension of that and wear masks and of course, fake grenade launchers. I mean, after all, this is all about you and your rights, no? Maybe you'll strike a lotto with a lawsuit or at the least, get some internet cred by being confronted by cops and scaring people. Now that's something to be proud of!

All I did was state facts. Open carry, 3 1/2 years, in Madison. No negative interactions. And all you did was make stuff up.