• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart bans all guns ?

EMNofSeattle

They do it in Virginia every day. :p

well in Michigan you need specific permission to carry in a liqour licensed establishment unless you have a CPL, then you may carry openly in such a place without specific permission. apparently the grocery store qualfiies as a "liqour licensed establishment" because they sell beer/wine

so what he means is, will a manager give that specific permission to someone to carry in the store without a license....? probably not. having to approve something is much different then simply allowing it to happen.

Evil Creamsicle

well in Michigan you need specific permission to carry in a liqour licensed establishment unless you have a CPL, then you may carry openly in such a place without specific permission. apparently the grocery store qualfiies as a "liqour licensed establishment" because they sell beer/wine

so what he means is, will a manager give that specific permission to someone to carry in the store without a license....? probably not. having to approve something is much different then simply allowing it to happen.

I think he was just teasing us Michiganders.

Golden Eagle

750.234d
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Or casper get a license from another state (if you think you have a good lawyer) and you don't need to ask. ;)

FreeInAZ

MI law does NOT recognize non-resident permit issued by other states. He could get an AZ permit in the mail. Still wouldn't do him any good in MI. Only he can fight this - it's his choice. The good news is: he can still open carry in a lot of places, so he's not completely screwed. His Gun Board seems to be sticking to their guns (pun intended) so they must think they have some reason that will stand up to review by the courts, or their just dicks and don't care if they have to pay (with our tax dollars) for wrongfully denying him. :eek: :confused:

Golden Eagle

MI law does NOT recognize non-resident permit issued by other states. He could get an AZ permit in the mail. Still wouldn't do him any good in MI. Only he can fight this - it's his choice. The good news is: he can still open carry in a lot of places, so he's not completely screwed. His Gun Board seems to be sticking to their guns (pun intended) so they must think they have some reason that will stand up to review by the courts, or their just dicks and don't care if they have to pay (with our tax dollars) for wrongfully denying him. :eek: :confused:

Understood but we have argued in the past that an out of state license could be used to OC in places like wallmart.
I'm not seriously suggesting it but it might be good fallback if he accidentally goes to a place with a liquor license.

22Luke36

Does 750.234d not say as follows : (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Would that not allow an out of stater to carry lawfully? If not, why not?

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Does 750.234d not say as follows : (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Well sure it should, however MI LEA's / DA's may not agree. This subject has been raised here many times over the last few years, and the MI lawyers who participate and other very knowledgable OCers seem to agree a non-resident permit from another state held by a MI resident who does not also hold a valid MI permit will lead to legal troubles. Honestly do you really think the powers in charge of the permission slip program in MI would let their racket be side-stepped so easily? We are talking about a multi-million dollar revenue stream for them. ;)

xmanhockey7

An out of stater, yes. Michigan resident with no Michigan CPL and a non-resident from say Florida is serious gray area. I had a non-resident permit 2 years before I turned 21. Never used it to carry in places listed under 750.234d., but did like the fact if I somehow made a mistake I had some legal defense.

22Luke36

Well sure it should, however MI LEA's / DA's may not agree. This subject has been raised here many times over the last few years, and the MI lawyers who participate and other very knowledgable OCers seem to agree a non-resident permit from another state held by a MI resident who does not also hold a valid MI permit will lead to legal troubles. Honestly do you really think the powers in charge of the permission slip program in MI would let their racket be side-stepped so easily? We are talking about a multi-million dollar revenue stream for them. ;)

Where is the "Like" button?

Golden Eagle

To open carry lawfully, yes. 750.234d is not about concealed carry.

28.432a is about CC and says " (h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol."

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I never ask. I just carry. However, I do have a CPL so I am not affected by the presence of alcohol in most places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moderator privilege don't you know.

From the Moderator's Manual (revised edition 2013):

Chapter VII, sub-heading (d) = Moderators can drop their choice words of wisdom anywhere and it does keep the ball rolling :lol:

Consider too that he did sum up the thread succinctly with, "I never ask. I just carry."