• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just had a gun pointed at me

independence

A fellow employee who I was meeting for the first time came to my office this morning. We have an extremely relaxed firearms policy at work, and I was CCing. He noted the ammo on my desk and we talked firearms for a couple of minutes before he suddenly exclaims that he carries a pistol and pulls it from concealment. He removes the mag in a rather hurried and "watch this" manner. While I'm deciding if this is cool or not, he quickly turns the muzzle directly at me at point blank range and racks the slide to *remove a chambered round!

I am very angry with him but even more angry with myself for not calling him on it. Instead, I foolishly restrained myself in some twisted version of politeness. I would place the emoticon of banging one's head against a wall here, but it would not even to begin to suffice. Later, during our conversation I discovered that he is former member of the military with many years of elite service. I have only been into firearms for a short time, but I was trained from the beginning on the four rules of gun safety.

I don't know what else to say. I wish I could tell you that this is the first time anything like this has ever happened, but it isn't. Why are people so stupid, even with military training? Why am I such a gutless coward that I can't even make myself do or say something in response in such a situation? Apparently, I don't value my own life enough...

Both times this has happened, it was after the person in question learned that I was a firearms enthusiast because of something I said, etc. I'm starting to rethink things now: There may be a downside to discussing my interest in firearms with others. I can now say accurately, that I have only ever had "good guys" point guns at me, and statistically, my chances of be killed by a "good guy" at this point may be higher than getting killed by a "bad guy". Also, I was CCing both times, but by others knowing that I have an interest in firearms and potentially carry daily, it about the same as OC. I OC a lot when not at work, but is this going to attract more "hey, look at this" situations? What if the next time I end up shooting somebody, because I thought they were about to shoot me? In today's situation, he had a laptop with him and I saw the desktop which had a picture of his little baby daughter. All I could think of is, "What if I had shot him dead and this little girl was fatherless?"

For the future:
First off, I am removing the ammo from my desk as we speak. Secondly, next time this happens, at the very least I am going to jump out of the way of the muzzle as fast as I can. Please give your two cents on how you would have handled the situation. I figure I will also get a lot of reprimands for my stupidity in how I (didn't) handled the situation. I deserve them. Very angry with myself. What exactly is this an indication of? I fear, it may be an indication of a non-confrontational and sheep mindset. That's a mindset I purport to detest.

*The reason he (recklessly) removed a round from his pistol was to compare it to a round on my desk.

Last edited:

7om5hipp

Others might hate on you for not doing anything, but I would have been scared myself. Having military training myself I can tell you that at no point during training or practice do you ever point a muzzle at anyone, even with it being unloaded. As for my reaction, I think it might be the same reaction I have when someone jumps out of somewhere and tries to scare me, I ready myself to defend myself. If a firearm is pointed at me I am sure that my reaction would be to draw my own fully loaded one and return the favor.

I know many might think that makes me act like a bad ass...But I am not, I just react in ways to defend myself and how I was taught.

Maverick9

Bat his gun hand to the side and hit him in the side of the head with your desk stapler...well, just a suggestion. :)

7om5hipp

I just can't believe he would rack the slide while it was pointed, my mother has a small .22 and she racked the slide to chamber a round and it fired. Random things happen randomly.

stealthyeliminator

A fellow employee who I was meeting for the first time came to my office this morning. We have an extremely relaxed firearms policy at work, and I was CCing. He noted the ammo on my desk and we talked firearms for a couple of minutes before he suddenly exclaims that he carries a pistol and pulls it from concealment. He removes the mag in a rather hurried and "watch this" manner. While I'm deciding if this is cool or not, he quickly turns the muzzle directly at me at point blank range and racks the slide to *remove a chambered round!

I am very angry with him but even more angry with myself for not calling him on it. Instead, I foolishly restrained myself in some twisted version of politeness. I would place the emoticon of banging one's head against a wall here, but it would not even to begin to suffice. Later, during our conversation I discovered that he is former member of the military with many years of elite service. I have only been into firearms for a short time, but I was trained from the beginning on the four rules of gun safety.

I don't know what else to say. I wish I could tell you that this is the first time anything like this has ever happened, but it isn't. Why are people so stupid, even with military training? Why am I such a gutless coward that I can't even make myself do or say something in response in such a situation? Apparently, I don't value my own life enough...

Both times this has happened, it was after the person in question learned that I was a firearms enthusiast because of something I said, etc. I'm starting to rethink things now: There may be a downside to discussing my interest in firearms with others. I can now say accurately, that I have only ever had "good guys" point guns at me, and statistically, my chances of be killed by a "good guy" at this point may be higher than getting killed by a "bad guy". Also, I was CCing both times, but by others knowing that I have an interest in firearms and potentially carry daily, it about the same as OC. I OC a lot when not at work, but is this going to attract more "hey, look at this" situations? What if the next time I end up shooting somebody, because I thought they were about to shoot me? In today's situation, he had a laptop with him and I saw the desktop which had a picture of his little baby daughter. All I could think of is, "What if I had shot him dead and this little girl was fatherless?"

For the future:
First off, I am removing the ammo from my desk as we speak. Secondly, next time this happens, at the very least I am going to jump out of the way of the muzzle as fast as I can. Please give your two cents on how you would have handled the situation. I figure I will also get a lot of reprimands for my stupidity in how I (didn't) handled the situation. I deserve them. Very angry with myself. What exactly is this an indication of? I fear, it may be an indication of a non-confrontational and sheep mindset. That's a mindset I purport to detest.

*The reason he (recklessly) removed a round from his pistol was to compare it to a round on my desk.

Sounds a bit like me - very non-confrontational. What I might (try) to do after this happened is bite the bullet and talk to the person about it. Just tell them conversationally, rather than confrontationally, that you aren't trying to be confrontational or anything, but that it really bothered you when he took out his pistol in your office because you believe that the pistol was pointed at you, even if it was briefly. Personally, I'd just leave it at that. It isn't accusatory or confrontational, so there is really nothing for him to be defensive about. If he's a reasonable person he'll think through what happened and judge himself on what he did. If he's reasonable, he'll come to the simple conclusion that he made a mistake, and hopefully try to refrain from making it again. If he's a reasonable person, he may or may not even apologize for the incident. If he isn't reasonable, though, being accusatory or confrontational is certainly not going to generate a more positive outcome, IMO.

eye95

I get swept a dozen or more times a day. Some customers (must be noobs) point the handgun at me, gesturing like they are pointing a finger. Must be funny to watch me duck and weave as I instinctively avoid being muzzled.

dalivia

just had a gun pointed at me

Cant begin to imagine how scary that was for you, and as a disabled veteran myself I can tell you how utterly disgusted I am with your co-worker. If I was in your position I would catch your co-worker on a day he's not waving his gun around and tell him that his actions on that day were not cool, I would also remind him that as a former military member he should know better then to do something so stupid. However you decide to handle this is definitely a good course to take but do not let this situation go without telling him.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I get swept a dozen or more times a day. Some customers (must be noobs) point the handgun at me, gesturing like they are pointing a finger. Must be funny to watch me duck and weave as I instinctively avoid being muzzled.

I would recommend you do not do that anymore. You may hurt yourself with all that duck and weaving.

Of course, you may already be suffering brain damage from such repetitive motions...

Last edited:

samkent

Bat his gun hand to the side and hit him in the side of the head with your desk stapler...well, just a suggestion.
Might that by itself cause an AD?
Bad JU JU.

independence

I just can't believe he would rack the slide while it was pointed, my mother has a small .22 and she racked the slide to chamber a round and it fired. Random things happen randomly.

Thanks for your comment. It should be mentioned, however, that this may be flawed thinking on your part regarding gun safety. "It fired", indicates that the gun is a living entity which can fire at will -- or at least at "random", per your comment on randomness. In fact, guns do not fire at random and always involve human negligence of some kind. Before you react, calm yourself. I'm not hating on your mother. Everyone makes mistakes. I know people with 20 years of experience who are experts/instructors in firearms and have had negligent discharges. But the fact remains that your mother likely was negligent in some way. Perhaps she had her trigger finger in the trigger guard when racking the slide. Hard to say.

The only reason I am commenting on it is for your own safety. Those who have the mindset that guns fire themselves or more likely to experience a negligent discharge.

I hope your mother wasn't hurt and kudos to her for being prepared to defend herself and those she loves.

independence

Bat his gun hand to the side and hit him in the side of the head with your desk stapler...well, just a suggestion. :)

Might that by itself cause an AD?
Bad JU JU.

An AD from the stapler???

Reminds me of a scene from the Get Smart movie.
<o>

Unfortunately, things happened so fast that I am not 100% sure that his finger was not in the trigger guard. If his trigger finger discipline was anything like his muzzle control then batting the gun away indeed could have resulted in an ND.

samkent

Here's a way to get your point across to him in a 'guy' fashion.

For the next couple weeks when you see him 'around' look hard and ask 'Where's your gun?' 'We don't want a repeat of last time'.
It should sink in.

Maverick9

Unfortunately, things happened so fast that I am not 100% sure that his finger was not in the trigger guard. If his trigger finger discipline was anything like his muzzle control then batting the gun away indeed could have resulted in an ND.

Yeah, and you'd probably have gotten the blame for it 'He hit my gun and made it go off...'. :(

paramedic70002

Just a thought, if it was obvious that he was being unsafe versus trying to kill you, you might be better off risking the ND instead of a sudden movement which might startle him and cause an ND.

Medic1210

Nobody here should hound you too much. You recognize the problem, and know you need to address it. Move on, but plan your response in case there is a next time.

If it were me, it would have been clearly evident he screwed up by the look on my face and the tone of my voice when I asked, Dude, really?!?

He of all people should know better. On a side note, where the heck do you work with such relaxed gun policy?

arentol

Military training is kind of strange.... What they teach you is to always keep your gun pointed downrange on a range where downrange is completely obvious and consistent. The armorer will also ream you a new one of you point it at him when drawing or returning a firearm. Then there is the rest of the time when doing field training or actually being in a combat zone... During these times the firearm is almost always with you so you get used to treating it fairly casually. So when you get out you tend to have a relaxed attitude towards firearms that would surprise most civilians.

Many police suffer from a similar affect in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2