Thread: Question about Rock Island.

Question about Rock Island.

I really like the look of the 1911, but I don't have the funds to spend that much money on one, and I don't really see a point in spending that much when I will only be using it for protection and carry, nothing else.

So my question is this, does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the Rock Island 1911s?

The fit, finish. etc. both inside and out has improved noticeably with the Rock islands since the first batch came into the U.S. In my limited, second hand experience, the ones made nowadays run pretty well most of the time. Apparently they offer good customer support for the ones that have problems.

I am just trying to find a decent priced and functioning 9mm or .45.

I own a Rock Island G i spec 1911a1 fs. I have owned it for about 2 years and it has worked great so far(knock wood). I paid just about $470 for it new. The customer service is great. The support is out of Nevada so there is fast turn around if you need it. I carry my 1911 everyday and love it. I also hear that you get two mags now instead of one.
    "Good does not always triumph over evil unless good is very very careful" -L. McCoy MD

I was looking at the GI ones not to long ago, they look nice.

and there are loads of parts out there for upgrading and customizing. most can be done at home with minimal tools and experience.
    "Good does not always triumph over evil unless good is very very careful" -L. McCoy MD

We have 3 RIA 1911's in the family. I have no reservations in them and use one for daily carry (a compact). I have owned others, a Springfield, a Kimber and a Taurus. I'd trust any of them with my life.
    We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 7om5hipp View Post
    I really like the look of the 1911, but I don't have the funds to spend that much money on one, and I don't really see a point in spending that much when I will only be using it for protection and carry, nothing else.

So my question is this, does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the Rock Island 1911s?
    only? seems the most important reason to have a firearm.
    Rocks are good, I have a TCM that is a nice pistol. The warranty and service are awesome, so I have heard. ask questions here about them as well. http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Rock Island Armory have an almost cult following. Very affordable and very reliable. Get them while the prices are still low.

Love mine. I have the FS TAC 9mm and it eats anything I feed it. I am finding myself carrying it more than my XDSC.

Dumb question -- can you get an RIA without the billboard on the side? or remove it?

Rock Island uses a cast frame, which some people claim are not as strong as forged frames. I have a cast frame 1911, and it has worked flawlessly for years, but I do not shoot +P in it.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Question about Rock Island.

I own a rock island 1911 .45 for two years it's backed by armscor and they will and have replaced any part for life if its stamped made in the Philippines if I have done my history right there made on the old colt machinery I have a compact version and absolutely am attached to this firearm.. It does what I need it to and in my shooting history have only had a jam when i used steel casings never had a jam otherwise..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Quote Originally Posted by jhfc View Post
    Dumb question -- can you get an RIA without the billboard on the side? or remove it?
    Find a used one from a couple years back.

By only I meant I would not be using it for sport shooting or anything like that, to me it is more important to provide protection for myself and my family then to shoot a target in front of a crowd. Not that I am against that, I think shooters of that skill are amazing.

A good friend of mine has a relatively new one.

He had an occasional failure to feed when the gun was relatively new. The manual advises a 500 round break in, and after doing that he has had no trouble at all with it.

It seems to me like a good gun for a good price. I've liked his so much that I'm thinking about buying one in 38 super.

I am thinking of something along that size for the wife, she has been slowly getting into firearms. Grew up in a house where the brothers got the guns and got to go shooting, girls were not allowed to. She shoots the Nagant and is a pretty good shot, and even fired my Mosin so I have been breaking her in slowly. Slowly working on getting her to OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattimusmaximus View Post
    I own a rock island 1911 .45 for two years it's backed by armscor and they will and have replaced any part for life if its stamped made in the Philippines if I have done my history right there made on the old colt machinery I have a compact version and absolutely am attached to this firearm.. It does what I need it to and in my shooting history have only had a jam when i used steel casings never had a jam otherwise..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-
    From what I have read this is not true, being built on Colt machines. However Armscor did receive ISO 9001 certification before Colt. And I have seen pictures that show a RIA with a much smaller roll mark on it,
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Another good option is the Metro Arms American Classic II. I got it for $500, and it has a nice drilled/adjustable trigger, and a nice looking hammer. I carry it just about every day as my "dress" gun. I have a poly gun for outdoor type activities.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com