• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Rock Island.

7om5hipp

I really like the look of the 1911, but I don't have the funds to spend that much money on one, and I don't really see a point in spending that much when I will only be using it for protection and carry, nothing else.

So my question is this, does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the Rock Island 1911s?

Brian D.

The fit, finish. etc. both inside and out has improved noticeably with the Rock islands since the first batch came into the U.S. In my limited, second hand experience, the ones made nowadays run pretty well most of the time. Apparently they offer good customer support for the ones that have problems.

darkside

I own a Rock Island G i spec 1911a1 fs. I have owned it for about 2 years and it has worked great so far(knock wood). I paid just about $470 for it new. The customer service is great. The support is out of Nevada so there is fast turn around if you need it. I carry my 1911 everyday and love it. I also hear that you get two mags now instead of one.

darkside

and there are loads of parts out there for upgrading and customizing. most can be done at home with minimal tools and experience.:dude:

moonie

We have 3 RIA 1911's in the family. I have no reservations in them and use one for daily carry (a compact). I have owned others, a Springfield, a Kimber and a Taurus. I'd trust any of them with my life.

Raggs

I really like the look of the 1911, but I don't have the funds to spend that much money on one, and I don't really see a point in spending that much when I will only be using it for protection and carry, nothing else.

So my question is this, does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the Rock Island 1911s?

only? seems the most important reason to have a firearm.
Rocks are good, I have a TCM that is a nice pistol. The warranty and service are awesome, so I have heard. ask questions here about them as well. http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Bernymac

Rock Island Armory have an almost cult following. Very affordable and very reliable. Get them while the prices are still low.

WalkingWolf

Rock Island uses a cast frame, which some people claim are not as strong as forged frames. I have a cast frame 1911, and it has worked flawlessly for years, but I do not shoot +P in it.

Mattimusmaximus

I own a rock island 1911 .45 for two years it's backed by armscor and they will and have replaced any part for life if its stamped made in the Philippines if I have done my history right there made on the old colt machinery I have a compact version and absolutely am attached to this firearm.. It does what I need it to and in my shooting history have only had a jam when i used steel casings never had a jam otherwise..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

7om5hipp

By only I meant I would not be using it for sport shooting or anything like that, to me it is more important to provide protection for myself and my family then to shoot a target in front of a crowd. Not that I am against that, I think shooters of that skill are amazing.

bunnspecial

A good friend of mine has a relatively new one.

He had an occasional failure to feed when the gun was relatively new. The manual advises a 500 round break in, and after doing that he has had no trouble at all with it.

It seems to me like a good gun for a good price. I've liked his so much that I'm thinking about buying one in 38 super.

7om5hipp

I am thinking of something along that size for the wife, she has been slowly getting into firearms. Grew up in a house where the brothers got the guns and got to go shooting, girls were not allowed to. She shoots the Nagant and is a pretty good shot, and even fired my Mosin so I have been breaking her in slowly. Slowly working on getting her to OC.

Raggs

I own a rock island 1911 .45 for two years it's backed by armscor and they will and have replaced any part for life if its stamped made in the Philippines if I have done my history right there made on the old colt machinery I have a compact version and absolutely am attached to this firearm.. It does what I need it to and in my shooting history have only had a jam when i used steel casings never had a jam otherwise..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

From what I have read this is not true, being built on Colt machines. However Armscor did receive ISO 9001 certification before Colt. And I have seen pictures that show a RIA with a much smaller roll mark on it,

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Another good option is the Metro Arms American Classic II. I got it for $500, and it has a nice drilled/adjustable trigger, and a nice looking hammer. I carry it just about every day as my "dress" gun. I have a poly gun for outdoor type activities.