• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advice, considering moving to Oregon or Washington, thank you.

alanspfdmo

Hi everyone,

I'm very thankful for this site and the wealth of info. from all of you, and to those who are on the front lines fighting to protect our constitutional rights!

I would like to ask a question and will appreciate all responses. I have lived in Missouri most of my life (51 years) and have worked for the same business (except for time served in the military) for 26 years. I'm ready for a change and considering a move to the Northwest and open to suggestions based on the following criteria:

1. Mild weather (no extreme cold or heat)
2. Fun, friendly and interesting place to live
3. Open carry friendly city/state
4. Good job market for customer service/sales
5. Year-round availability of local, fresh organic foods would be a plus.

I have never been to Oregon or Washington although they both sound like very nice places to live! I do have my conceal and carry (CCW) license issued by the state of Missouri. Not 100% positive, but it appears Washington will honor my license and Oregon may not. Any advice/suggestions on the best cities to live and why will be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

amlevin

The politics in both WA and OR suck. Too many libertards and "save the planet types".

At least in WA they don't suck as bad. Oregon is kind of like California with a little dilution of the CA stupidity. Those of us who have lived in WA State for a long time tend to view Oregon as a buffer zone between here and CA. Kind of like having another neighborhood between yours and a crime ridden gangland.

tombrewster421

Olympia or a bit south of there would be a good fit. Definitely need to be West of the Cascades for the truly mild weather you're looking for. Snow is pretty rare in this area as are temps over 90°. Lots of farmers in the area also.

Jeff Hayes

I would not move to WA or OR due to the politics and the direction I see it going. I moved to Eastern Washington 20 years ago to get away form the politics in California I am now thinking about moving to Idaho because of the politics on Washington. I would go to Wyoming or Montana if I could drag my bride that far away form the grand kids.

Have a look at Boise the winter weather is not that bad there, not as warm as west of the Cascades though.

Just my .02

acmariner99

Haters gonna hate - sure WA has its share of issues, but doesn't every state? The scenery here is goregous. It is MUCH better than a place I call Misery. I have lived in WA my entire life save the 5 years I was in Arizona for school. The weather is mild, but we do have earthquakes :)

The cost of living here is also going to be much higher than you are used to, especially in the urban counties. But, WA is one of the only states with no personal or business income tax (Oregon has no sales tax), but sales taxes and excise taxes are rather high in Washington (as is Oregon's income tax) so pick your poison there. Be prepared for both states to nickle and dime you to death on licenses, fees, etc.

Both WA and OR are Open Carry friendly states. Oregon has limited preemption which allows cities and counties to regulate unlicensed carry in public and in government owned buildings (cities like Portland say you cannot have a loaded weapon, including a loaded magazine without an Oregon CHL - Concealed Handgun License). Once you have the license, local laws no longer affect your ability to carry. Washington has unrestricted open carry statewide (no license required) and complete preemption, so no city to city OC laws like you see in Missouri. Seattle has tried to circumvent preemption but has failed on that front. Both states are Shall Issue for concealed carry, though WA requires a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) to carry loaded in a vehicle - just pop the mag out and you are good to go there. Oregon requires the pistol to be in plain sight or inaccessible in a vehicle where local law allows it if you don't have a Oregon CHL.

Idaho and Montana are good choices as well, but the weather swings a lot more from season to season.

MattinWA

Pop the mag out and clear the chamber, hope u dont carry revolver ^^^

From my non expert analysis of Oregon's laws, Portland can regulate who can open carry (permit vs no permit) not the (states preempted )legal definition of loaded verses unloaded-however true to anti gun form, they will sure try, legality be damned!!!!

and we are labeled "extremists"

Last edited:

bebop4one

I don't know if I'm truly qualified to offer advice as I'v only lived in WA for two months now. I did live in Clackamas OR for a year when I was 18 and I absolutely loved it. I can tell you that both states are beautiful. If you like the rain (I happen to love it) then WA is for you. There's so much to do here and the OC laws are awesome. Moving here is one of the best decisions I think I've ever made. Of course, ask me after a full winter has passed to see if I'm still crazy about it :D

badkarma

Snohomish County is the place you are looking for. Close enough to King county for jobs(there are plenty in your field) but you don't have to deal with much of the King County BS.

jhfc

Rain? Yeah, it does do that a bit.

I came from Orange County, where it was 75-85 and sunny many days out of the year.

If you don't like rain and grey skies, the wet side of the PNW is not for you.

Politics in the urban areas tend toward leftist, statist nonsense, as you would expect. The rest of the state seems to balance out the leftism.

Both states are some of the least religious as well. Depending on your perspective that could be a pro or a con. It's a def pro for me.

Makes for a weird mix at times.

jeeper1

Sequim and the eastern part of Clallam county is an excellent place to consider. It has all you mentioned except number 4. Even that is not bad as more businesses are coming to this area and many of the people, who aren't retired, here commute to points east.

You might want to check out for the
weather- the Sequim blue hole

The city and surrounding area- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequim,_Washington

The local newspapers- http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/
http://www.sequimgazette.com/

One of the recreational areas- http://www.olympicdiscoverytrail.com/

Of course there is the Olympic National Forest (where I go shooting) and the Olympic National Park.

This area is firearms friendly with a few gun shops here.

I OC everywhere I go except when I go to Costco (I lunch on the free samples) and the medical facilities (posted no guns) then I CC.

A lot of this area is farms so there is plenty of places to buy fresh organic food or you can grow you own.

kparker

"Snohomish County is the place you are looking for...."

Ahem. OR Pierce County!!!

As for as your MO permit, it's irrelevant once you're a resident. At that point you'll need a WA permit. We're shall-issue (as you already know) and there's no reason you can't apply if you're here visiting in advance of your move.

()pen(arry

As for as your MO permit, it's irrelevant once you're a resident. At that point you'll need a WA permit.

I don't understand this. What is irrelevant, and irrelevant to what? Are you telling him his Missouri-issued license to carry a concealed pistol is in any way, shape, or form less-entitling in the state of Washington than a Washington-issued license to carry a concealed pistol? If so, you are absolutely wrong, and making patently false claims, and spreading gross misinformation.

EMNofSeattle

Rain? Yeah, it does do that a bit.

I came from Orange County, where it was 75-85 and sunny many days out of the year.

If you don't like rain and grey skies, the wet side of the PNW is not for you.

Politics in the urban areas tend toward leftist, statist nonsense, as you would expect. The rest of the state seems to balance out the leftism.

Both states are some of the least religious as well. Depending on your perspective that could be a pro or a con. It's a def pro for me.

Makes for a weird mix at times.

not nessecarily... there's alot of leftists, but not people I would call "statists" and the Washington Supreme Court has been very steadfast in using the Washington Constitution to retain the rights that the US supreme court sold away during the drug war in the 1980s to mid 90s.

alot of business regulation, generous social programs... but when it comes to actual criminal offenses applicable to the general person Washington is one of the better states. just compare any statute in the Washington Criminal Code (RCW title 9A) to a similar provision in say Texas or California... our laws are very brief and to the point and there is fewer "victimless crime laws" here then in many other states...

Flight from Kalifornication may be a theme. Oregon and Washington are completely fornicated- completely! It is occurring in Idaho, particularly Sandpoint, Couer d' Alene and Boise.

not even close.... you must be out of your mind if you believe that, Washington laws and politics are nothing like California. there are some things there when it comes to welfare and social benefits maybe.... but Washington was a progressive state long before California turned liberal.

Last edited:

kparker

I don't understand this. What is irrelevant, and irrelevant to what? Are you telling him his Missouri-issued license to carry a concealed pistol is in any way, shape, or form less-entitling in the state of Washington than a Washington-issued license to carry a concealed pistol? If so, you are absolutely wrong, and making patently false claims, and spreading gross misinformation.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.073 (Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity) very clearly states:

"(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. "

Retraction and apology forthcoming?

EMNofSeattle

Missouri's concealed carry license also no longer meets the criteria for reciprocity under Washington law, Missouri now issues licenses to military members 18 to 20 thus like Texas and Florida they no longer meet reciprocity criteria.

the attorney general of WA only updates the list once a year, so MO is still on the list... but it's unclear wether an aggressive prosecutor can make the case stick against a MO resident with a carry license.

best bet? get a non-res WA CPL while you're up here, and if you do move here there is no obligation to tell the sheriff you changed address (plus the only way to do that is to apply for a replacement license and pay the fee)

Trigger Dr

If he is a non resident of Wa, and is visiting, his CPL is valid in Wa. If he has established residency in Wa, His Missouri CPL is not valid, and must have a WA CPL to carry concealed or loaded in a vehicle.

WA_G32

I moved to the Seattle side of WA from CA in 2007. Should have moved here 25 years ago. Shall issue carry permit also lets you bypass the handgun waiting period. We can have suppressors & AOW's..but not full auto, short barrel rifles or short barrel shotguns yet.

I moved to the central part of WA in 2010. Cost of living is cheaper and more sunny days. We do get snow but nothing major. WA is an outdoorsmans paradise. I do like the Seattle side for all the things to do but it has really bad traffic. East of the Cascades has a lot more Conservative folks.
One nice thing about WA is no humidity like the South & back East. It can get to 100° in the summers even on the Seattle side but not for days on end. The job market is definately bigger on the West side and over in Spokane. Seattle side has two Cabelas. Yakima just got one. And there is one on the border of WA & ID near Spokane.

The middle of the State where I am is a huge Ag area. Farmers markets galore. Lots of wineries..and some breweries. Tons of apples, asparagus, corn etc grown here. Housing is at ieast 20%-25% cheaper here compared to the Seattle area.

Last edited:

alanspfdmo

Thank you!

I sure do appreciate each and every one of you who responded to this post. I felt the pride you have for Washington with each reply. It really sounds like a great place to live plus all the wonderful people you represent that live there! If you happen to have anything else to add, please do because I will be checking back often.

Thank you again,
Alan