Thread: How's that "gun show loophole" working out for ya?

How's that "gun show loophole" working out for ya?

Mythbuster from RTD:

Gun dealers work with police to prevent illegal sales

Sorry Lamont, No Gun For You!

"A three-time felon has been charged with attempting to illegally purchase a semiautomatic pistol at a Virginia gun show in a case that authorities say illustrates how firearm dealers cooperate with police to prevent guns from falling into the wrong hands."

TFred

Internet Purchases

I have purchase a sidearm and a rifle via the internet, both times it was mailed to a local dealer who then did the BG check. My question is, why do the antis keep claiming that one can order via the internet without a BG? I can see maybe finding a private seller in the same state, which isn't any different than the so-called gun show loophole.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I have purchase a sidearm and a rifle via the internet, both times it was mailed to a local dealer who then did the BG check. My question is, why do the antis keep claiming that one can order via the internet without a BG? I can see maybe finding a private seller in the same state, which isn't any different than the so-called gun show loophole.
    When you have a [eta: liberal] agenda to promote, facts are little more than speed bumps to be ignored or avoided altogether.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 09-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Banned
    And why can't this "three-time" felon be allowed to own?

Heck, they let him out .. he's on the street...he can strangle someone if he wants...

So dangerous he cannot own a gun? Then he's to dangerous to be out !

Here's the sound bite version of that for you:

"Any person too dangerous to be walking around with a gun is also too dangerous to be walking around WITHOUT a gun."

TFred

ETA: A prospect altogether rejected by the liberal gun-grabbers, because to them, it's always the gun's fault...
    Last edited by TFred; 09-25-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Here's the sound bite version of that for you:

"Any person too dangerous to be walking around with a gun is also too dangerous to be walking around WITHOUT a gun."

TFred

ETA: A prospect altogether rejected by the liberal gun-grabbers, because to them, it's always the gun's fault...
    Hey, its the short short version ! Greeeeat !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHsDivVNDJI

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    My question is, why do the antis keep claiming that one can order via the internet without a BG?
    Unfortunately, there are more than enough ignorant people who will believe that lie without question. That makes the lie a very effective and potentially successful means to enact legislation to "fix" a non-existent problem, thereby advancing their real objective of making gun ownership difficult, expensive and risky from the standpoint of having to navigate an increasingly arcane and incomprehensible regulatory maze to avoid jail. Their hope is that gun owners will just give up.

Look at what's been done with class 3/title 2 hardware like full auto guns, suppressors, etc. The expense, hassle, and regulatory burden of acquisition and ownership has taken many people who might otherwise like to own such hardware out of the picture. The antis wold like to do the same thing to all guns. Any lie, exaggeration, twisting of facts or fabrication of statistics that helps bring about that end is perfectly acceptable to them.

Even if what the antis say is true, guns from private sales, without background checks do not account for enough guns getting onto the street to justify the disproportionate response from the government. That is, if you want to use their own language against them when it comes to other things, like say voter ID.

This article:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ocon/guns.html

goes into some detail about how guns make it to the street. Nowhere in there does it include "private sales", unless of course you consider criminal sales, like straw purchases, corrupt FFL and theft as a "private sale".