• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia OC laws - under 21

Poisoned

Okay, humor me. I did search threads first and couldn't find an answer exactly. I'm also having some issues interpreting the VA laws and codes, obviously they're pointing out what I can't do, more than what I can.

I'm 20, I do not own a handgun right now, and I'm unsure on the transferring legalities - can anyone sell me a handgun, or does it have to be a parent/relative? I keep hearing a lot of conflicting information (lord don't get me started on the man at the gun store! lol) from a lot of self-proclaimed experts and my head is about to explode.

And aside from who can legally sell/transfer a handgun to me... What is the process of having it transferred to ME? Because I honestly don't want the gun legally owned by anyone else after they've purchased it from the shop for me.

I mostly want to carry on my own property, I'm alone most of the time and after having things outdoors broken into, vandalized, and stolen, Tuesday I went to walk back inside my house to find two men taking everything that wasn't bolted down (I ducked and called police, waited outside and hoped that they weren't hurting any of the many animals I have in there, both were arrested).

I don't know that I would really want to carry anywhere else, being a small female I'm sure if I OC'd around this neighborhood I'd be picked out immediately. But it wasn't a good feeling having to sit back and wait on police to come pull two strangers out of my house, wondering if they were sickos hurting my pets - as I had seen them opening their cages through the windows..

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked before, I just couldn't find it - so I registered to ask.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Any private party seller may sell you a handgun (assuming you aren't a convicted felon :)), and you may OC the same as everybody else.

No worries.

I'm not going to provide cites because it's difficult to cite laws which don't exist, such as any in Virginia addressing the carry of handguns for 18-21 year olds. (I.e. there are none.)

As for the process of buying private party, there really isn't one. Find someone who wants to sell you a gun. Check http://www.vaguntrader.com. Meet up, buy the gun. Cash & carry.

No special procedure needed. You don't even need to keep records, although it might be a good idea, depending on your perspective.

Last edited:

hafnhaf

Welcome to the forum! You may buy a gun from a private party, but not a licensed dealer. You may open carry in VA, but you must be 21 to get a concealed carry permit.

TFred

What is the process of having it transferred to ME? Because I honestly don't want the gun legally owned by anyone else after they've purchased it from the shop for me.
You're sort of stuck here with this one, since there is no gun registration in Virginia. The last "paper trail" for any gun purchased from a licensed dealer is going to be to that person who purchased it. The Federal Government has graciously removed the option for you to leave a paper trail for your purchase, since a licensed dealer may not sell you a handgun.

So, your private sale will have no "official" paper trail, only what you and/or the seller choose to keep on your own.

There simply is no "transfer to YOU" process for this situation. ETA: But that is NOT the same as the original purchaser still legally owning the gun. They are just the end of the paper trail...

TFred

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Rereading that last bit sounds like the OP is describing a straw purchase.

Poisoned, note that it is a Federal FELONY for an individual to make a gun purchase from an FFL (i.e. shop) which is intended for another buyer (a so-called "straw purchase").

You are not legally permitted to have somebody buy a gun for you. You'll have to find someone who wants to sell you a gun they already own.

Sound like a pointless distinction? Welcome to gun laws (especially the Federal ones).

Note that "genuine" gifts are OK, so you could get someone in your family to gift you a gun, and in that case they could go to an FFL to buy the gun.

Last edited:

Thundar

Any private party seller may sell you a handgun (assuming you aren't a convicted felon :)), and you may OC the same as everybody else.

No worries.

I'm not going to provide cites because it's difficult to cite laws which don't exist, such as any in Virginia addressing the carry of handguns for 18-21 year olds. (I.e. there are none.)

As for the process of buying private party, there really isn't one. Find someone who wants to sell you a gun. Check http://www.vaguntrader.com. Meet up, buy the gun. Cash & carry.

No special procedure needed. You don't even need to keep records, although it might be a good idea, depending on your perspective.

Let me tweek this just a little bit.

If both you and the seller are residents of Virginia, any private party seller may sell you a handgun that does not have a threaded barrell.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Anyone over eighteen who is not crazy, an illegal immigrant, a convicted felon, etc., can both own and possess a firearm in Virginia, and the process for purchasing any item of personal property in Virginia from a private seller is to give money in exchange for the item.

I recommend the use of my bill of sale form that's posted somewhere around here, or which I'll send you if you pm an email address to me.

ProShooter's absolutely right, training is essential, and bad training is dangerous. I recommend you pay ProShooter some money and get good training.

papa bear

most of what these guys say is right on. though there is debt on the "straw purchase" business. some say you can't buy for another, others say you can't buy for someone whom can't legally own a gun.

example would be if your parents was buying to give the gun to you.

now know,you might get hassled because you might not look old enough. just know your rights and stick to them

bbMurphy

Another point to consider

Although Virginia doesn't have a law restricting the purchase of ammunition, there is a federal law which states that you must be at least 21 to purchase ammunition for a handgun and 18 for a rifle or shotgun. Many stores restrict the purchase of all ammunition for those under 21. :(