• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oct 1st law change

salesguy

I have been reading about the new concealed carry laws allowing carry into bars, restaurants which is exciting. What I don't understand how this impacts OC? I could be wrong but I'm under the current law OC is illegal in bars but will that be changing as well?

gary737

Nothing changes regarding OC.

I disagree.

If you have a CHP, you can OC into a bar. The way I read the law, all it states is that you have to have a CHP. No mention on mode of carry. There are a couple restrictions in the law where it specifically states CC, but not with regards to bars.

Last edited:

REDFIVE48

I disagree.

If you have a CHP, you can OC into a bar. The way I read the law, all it states is that you have to have a CHP. No mention on mode of carry. There are a couple restrictions in the law where it specifically states CC, but not with regards to bars.

This is how I read the law also, it is funerals and parades that are now also legal for carry with a CHP but only concealed.

Medic1210

I disagree.

Ok, well come Tuesday, feel free to test out your interpretation of the law and be a test case.

Medic1210

Easy enough to read, if it doesn't mention mode of carry then it doesn't restrict it.

You guys aren't looking at the big picture. HB937, as it relates to restaurants, movie theaters, etc is an amendment to NCGS 14-269.3(b) where prior to now it said it was unlawful to carry in those places. The big picture you need to see is 14-269.3(b) is a subsection of NCGS 14.269 which is entitled "Carrying Concealed Weapons". That is the statute that covers concealed weapons specifically, and says its illegal... except in the circumstances listed under 14-269(a1), specifically as it applies to most us us, 14-269(a1)(2). They did not write a complete new statute saying folks could carry in a restaurant, they simply made an amendment saying it didn't apply to those who are "carrying the concealed handgun in accordance with the scope of the concealed handgun permit as set out in G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

Since the statute that has been amended to allow restaurant carry is a subsection of 14-269, it in fact does specifically apply to concealed carry, not open carry. Again, if you feel your interpretation is solid, feel free to test it out and let us know how it goes for you.

Last edited:

REDFIVE48

You guys aren't looking at the big picture. HB937, as it relates to restaurants, movie theaters, etc is an amendment to NCGS 14-269.3(b) where prior to now it said it was unlawful to carry in those places. The big picture you need to see is 14-269.3(b) is a subsection of NCGS 14.269 which is entitled "Carrying Concealed Weapons". That is the statute that covers concealed weapons specifically, and says its illegal... except in the circumstances listed under 14-269(a1), specifically as it applies to most us us, 14-269(a1)(2). They did not write a complete new statute saying folks could carry in a restaurant, they simply made an amendment saying it didn't apply to those who are "carrying the concealed handgun in accordance with the scope of the concealed handgun permit as set out in G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

Since the statute that has been amended to allow restaurant carry is a subsection of 14-269, it in fact does specifically apply to concealed carry, not open carry. Again, if you feel your interpretation is solid, feel free to test it out and let us know how it goes for you.

I think your logic is flawed because if you are considering 14-269.3(b) to only be related to concealed carry since that is 14-269, then it wouldn't be illegal to open carry in those establishments currently would it? Did you really mean that 14-269.1 thru .8 are all related to concealed carry of a firearm only?

the actual amended statement is:
SECTION 3. G.S. 14-269.3(b) reads as rewritten:
(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

very different to how the amendedment to parade carry goes:
G.S. 14-277.2 is amended by adding a new subsection to read:
"(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, . . ."

Medic1210

I think your logic is flawed because if you are considering 14-269.3(b) to only be related to concealed carry since that is 14-269, then it wouldn't be illegal to open carry in those establishments currently would it? Did you really mean that 14-269.1 thru .8 are all related to concealed carry of a firearm only?

the actual amended statement is:
SECTION 3. G.S. 14-269.3(b) reads as rewritten:
(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

The very last line of what you quoted should make it clear that it is referring to concealed handguns. Or do you think that means you could still OC since the sign clearly says no concealed handguns?

Here's a link to a long discussion we had over at NCGO a couple weeks ago. Specifically, there was confusion regarding campus carry and whether or not private colleges could ban folks with CHP from keeping a firearm in their car because two of the three subsections (i)(j)(k) specifically (i) and (j) specifically mention the right of a private institution to post against guns, while (k) makes it sound like none of the above applied to CHP holders.

Well, to get an official clarification, Representative Jacqueline Schaffer, the primary sponsor of the new bill was asked for clarification. Here is the part regarding that specific question, and her response.

Quote:
As the primary sponsor of H937, could you please provide your views on Section 2 regarding firearms on educational property. There has been confusion among gun owners on internet discussion boards about the amendments to §14-269.2. Below are observations and specific questions regarding §14-269.2(k) and its relationship to other laws.

OPTIONS FOR NON-PUBLIC SCHOOLS
§14-269.2(i) and §14-269.2(j) contain statements that the exceptions contained in the subsections are only available if a non-public school "has not specifically prohibited the possession of a handgun pursuant to this subsection." §14-269.2(k) does NOT contain such a statement.
QUESTION #4
Is there a particular significance to the fact that (i) and (j) explicitly recognize a non-public school's option to prohibit guns while (k) does not?

NO
Sections (i) and (j) were drafted by one person in the Legislative Drafting Division, while section (k) was drafted by another person.

That is likely the reason concealed handgun isn't specifically mentioned under restaurant carry while it is under parade carry.

Again, if you feel strongly enough about your interpretation, please feel free to test it out. You may get lucky and not have issues. After all, every news outlet has reported Guns allowed in Bars under new law so much, maybe folks will just assume OC is covered. Then again, you may end up with legal issues. Your call.

Medic1210

Here is a link to a summary written by staff legal analysts and attorneys for the NC General Assembly

Here is the summary for section 3

Section 3 authorizes a person with a concealed carry permit to carry a concealed handgun at assemblies where an admission fee is charged and any establishment that serves alcohol unless the person in control of the premises has posted a notice prohibiting carrying a concealed handgun on the premises.

If folks still want to read it differently, by all means, feel free. It's your money, time, background, etc...

WalkingWolf

This one will be for the courts to decide, I agree with Medic on this. It will be interesting to see where the courts take it, there will be arrests, it is only a matter of time.

Medic1210

Also, something to remember if you decide to be a test case... The punishment for violation of 14-415.11 have now been increased in severity. What once would only be an infraction, is now a Class 2 misdemeanor, and what once was a Class 2 is now a Class 1.

While I'm not sure the penalty for carrying openly would be the same as carrying concealed illegally, it's still something you have to consider.

By far the most economical route to go would be to email Jacqueline Schaffer directly and ask her.

Last edited:

solus

i believe what you will actually see is a proliferation of business doors having signs on them prohibiting any type of carry!

now you are even worse off then before the statute passed except at parades etc.

ipse

gary737

Ok, well come Tuesday, feel free to test out your interpretation of the law and be a test case.

Once I find a copy of the "North Carolina Firearms Laws" put out by the Attorney General, with the new wording (NOT interpretation) included, I plan on it.

Last edited:

gary737

i believe what you will actually see is a proliferation of business doors having signs on them prohibiting any type of carry!

now you are even worse off then before the statute passed except at parades etc.

ipse

I wouldn't think so.

There are many threads here where the various business corporate offices have stated that they follow the laws in the state where their restaurants or stores reside.

Last edited:

Medic1210

Once I find a copy of the "North Carolina Firearms Laws" put out by the Attorney General, with the new wording (NOT interpretation) included, I plan on it.

What do you mean, new wording? The bill that was passed and signed into law is the only wording there is, and it will not change. Anything written or published that is different from the actual bill is an interpretation. To change one word in the bill would require house and senate votes and a new governor signature. In other words, it ain't happening this year.

Brian D.

If our somewhat similar experiences here in Ohio are anything to judge by, you may see a bit of what you describe as a knee-jerk, short term effect. I'd guess it won't last long. Keep those "No Guns = No Money" wallet cards at the ready, and be prepared to bring a few business owners up to speed.

Last edited:

Medic1210

If our somewhat similar experiences here in Ohio are anything to judge by, you may see a bit of what you describe as a knee-jerk, short term effect. I'd guess it won't last long. Keep those "No Guns = No Money" wallet cards at the ready, and be prepared to bring a few business owners up to speed.

The only problem is, how many folks actually carry those cards? I fear a majority of average gun owners are going to continue eating where they or their family wants, despite a no-gun sign.

Of course that just means the rest of us have to step up our game and pick up the slack. In other words, don't just give the manager/owner a card one time and never go back. That may be the only one they ever see. If you make it a point to post every place on the local gun forum, and everyone inundates the business with a card on a regular basis, it will make them see that their bottom line just may be affected after all. Just please, remember to represent us well by dressing neatly and being extremely polite with your interaction.