• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oct 1st law change

gary737

What do you mean, new wording? The bill that was passed and signed into law is the only wording there is, and it will not change. Anything written or published that is different from the actual bill is an interpretation. To change one word in the bill would require house and senate votes and a new governor signature. In other words, it ain't happening this year.

If you go to the NC Attorney Generals website, there you can printout the COMPLETE North Carolina Firearms Laws, not just the changes as in House Bill 937. Currently the website has the laws that does NOT include the recent House Bill 937 changes that take effect on Oct. 1st.

gary737

This one will be for the courts to decide, I agree with Medic on this. It will be interesting to see where the courts take it, there will be arrests, it is only a matter of time.

I lived in PA for 23 years, which is an open carry state. The only requirement to open carry in the city of Philadelphia is that you have to have a current CCP (Conceal Carry Permit). Some Philadelphia police detained OC'ers because they said that you had to conceal carry because of the requirement to have a CCP. I have a copy of the Philadelphia Police Training policy that states that open carry in Philadelphia is allowed with a CCP, but the Democrat Mayor wants to intimidate people so they won't open carry. It went to court after the police kept harassing the same person day after day for open carry even though they stopped and released him several times prior. The court ruled that the police and the city violated this persons rights and were handed a hefty judgement in favor for the individual.

Last edited:

gary737

..... They did not write a complete new statute saying folks could carry in a restaurant, they simply made an amendment saying it didn't apply to those who are "carrying the concealed handgun in accordance with the scope of the concealed handgun permit as set out in G.S. 14-415.11(c)."...

The part in quotes. Where did you get that wording or is that your own wording?

Last edited:

solus

Once I find a copy of the "North Carolina Firearms Laws" put out by the Attorney General, with the new wording (NOT interpretation) included, I plan on it.

as was explained at a doj briefing on the 5th of sept, this document was in the works with appropriate changes, but without any ecd provided. my 'guess' it wont be posted on ag's or sheriff assoc site until the first.

ipse

solus

I wouldn't think so.

There are many threads here where the various business corporate offices have stated that they follow the laws in the state where their restaurants or stores reside.

really, you are that naive to actually believe the rethoric...let's see...oh ya, the starbucks saga comes to mind...how'd that concept work out for everybody...carriers, starbucks, helping promote oc...

ipse

papa bear

really, you are that naive to actually believe the rethoric...let's see...oh ya, the starbucks saga comes to mind...how'd that concept work out for everybody...carriers, starbucks, helping promote oc...

ipse

the Starbucks decision was not brought by OCers , but by pressure from the antis (Americans). if you will also notice they have not told you can't carry in their stores. they just didn't want to make an issue of it

just to remind you guys there are no bars in NC. this covers restaurants that serve and consume on property

it is my belief that this does not cover OC. thanks to that so called "pro-gun" group that wants you to disarm before you go to their meet and greet:banghead:. OC is left out in the cold

being right here next to VA, where you have a lot more freedom. it is very frustrating not to be allowed to carry

WalkingWolf

It is not just being left out in the cold, the leadership of that group wants to eliminate OC. It's all about the money, same for SBX, they think they can play both sides of the issue.

American Patriot

I lived in PA for 23 years, which is an open carry state. The only requirement to open carry in the city of Philadelphia is that you have to have a current CCP (Conceal Carry Permit). Some Philadelphia police detained OC'ers because they said that you had to conceal carry because of the requirement to have a CCP. I have a copy of the Philadelphia Police Training policy that states that open carry in Philadelphia is allowed with a CCP, but the Democrat Mayor wants to intimidate people so they won't open carry. It went to court after the police kept harassing the same person day after day for open carry even though they stopped and released him several times prior. The court ruled that the police and the city violated this persons rights and were handed a hefty judgement in favor for the individual.

This is not PA. Here in NC the CHP has no relationship to OC. OC is a completely separate issue. Posting your lack of understanding is going to influence someone to get themselves in conflict with the law should they follow your advise.

We have different laws for commercial and private vehicles although they both use the same highways. The same applies to carrying arms, different laws for OC and CC. OC is permitted in the NC Constitution, i.e. "Right to keep and bear arms" whereas conceal carry is permitted in law statutes, i.e. CHP.

Jamesm760

The only problem is, how many folks actually carry those cards? I fear a majority of average gun owners are going to continue eating where they or their family wants, despite a no-gun sign.

Of course that just means the rest of us have to step up our game and pick up the slack. In other words, don't just give the manager/owner a card one time and never go back. That may be the only one they ever see. If you make it a point to post every place on the local gun forum, and everyone inundates the business with a card on a regular basis, it will make them see that their bottom line just may be affected after all. Just please, remember to represent us well by dressing neatly and being extremely polite with your interaction.

What?? we have a dresscode now?? May I please know what you consider acceptable? Flip-flops, shorts and tank top OK? Business casual? Casual friday? :lol:

gary737

You guys aren't looking at the big picture. HB937, as it relates to restaurants, movie theaters, etc is an amendment to NCGS 14-269.3(b) where prior to now it said it was unlawful to carry in those places. The big picture you need to see is 14-269.3(b) is a subsection of NCGS 14.269 which is entitled "Carrying Concealed Weapons". That is the statute that covers concealed weapons specifically, .....

Medic,

Can you point me to the section that prevents me from OC'ing into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed? Thanks.

gary737

This is not PA. Here in NC the CHP has no relationship to OC. OC is a completely separate issue. Posting your lack of understanding is going to influence someone to get themselves in conflict with the law should they follow your advise.

We have different laws for commercial and private vehicles although they both use the same highways. The same applies to carrying arms, different laws for OC and CC. OC is permitted in the NC Constitution, i.e. "Right to keep and bear arms" whereas conceal carry is permitted in law statutes, i.e. CHP.

Patriot,

Anyone that follows the advice on any forum without doing their own research, only has themselves to blame.

I do understand that OP and CC are mostly two different issues. Where is the section that prevents open carrying (handguns) weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

All I was pointing out was my experience in PA with regards to where OC and CC overlap. Several laws in NC, such as the recent castle doctrin, are taken from what other states have done. Maybe this is another example.

Last edited:

Medic1210

Medic,

Can you point me to the section that prevents me from OC'ing into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed? Thanks.

Sure. NCGS 14-269.3 states

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Medic1210

The part in quotes. Where did you get that wording or is that your own wording?

That is quoted from 14-269 (a1)(2) and is in reference to carrying concealed, and references the statute that covers the scope of the CHP (14-415.11). The scope of the CHP states the person may only carry a handgun concealed. Again, the CHP has nothing to do with OC. This is clearly covered in 14-415.11. And before anyone references subsection (c3) of that law regarding state owned rest stops etc, it specifically mentions open carry, because you may openly carry 'any firearm' while you may only conceal a handgun with a CHP. This should also serve as more proof regarding the intent of HB937, since as mentioned, one may openly carry ANY firearm in NC where not specifically prohibited, yet, HB937 amends the restaurant carry law by specifically stating only a handgun, and only with a CHP. If the new law covered OC, there would be no reason to specifically mention handgun and CHP requirement.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

:lol: That is funny, I don't care who you are... :lol:

+1 :lol:

PA's open carry is the same as here, with the exception of carry in a vehicle, which requires the License To Carry Firearms (LTCF).

Philly is the ONLY city in PA to require this; the CCP is in fact the LTCF issued by PA, or that of a state that has reciprocity.

A note here of stupidity: Waterguns are illegal in Philadelphia, as is my M1911 as long as I have a muzzle compensator on it, and of course all "assault or para-military weapons".

Love NC!

gary737

Medic,

In post #8 of this thread, you posted the following quote.

Medic1210 said:
Since the statute that has been amended to allow restaurant carry is a subsection of 14-269, it in fact does specifically apply to concealed carry, not open carry (emphases added). Again, if you feel your interpretation is solid, feel free to test it out and let us know how it goes for you.

Then I asked where is the statute that prohibits OC and into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. And you responded with the following post;

Sure. NCGS 14-269.3 states

(a)It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

So in the first quote you said NCGS 14-269 specifically applies to CC only. How can you than use a statute in that same section to apply to OC?

If that is the case, NCGS 14-269 covers both CC and OC, than the exemption in the change would seem to allow OC in any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed with a CHP.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

What is a CHP in North Carolina?

Is a CHP required for open carry outside restricted locations?

Does the law mention lawful open carry with a CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT?

Open Carry without a court ruling at your own risk. Me I just go to restaurants that do not serve alcohol, but please be a test case, I will be behind you in spirit all the way. As medic pointed out, a CHP has nothing to with open carry in North Carolina.

Plus I will add that I will be damned if I would spend $150 plus just so I could eat in Applebees, or TGIF someplace I do not even care for. IMO such a person is a fool.

Last edited:

gary737

.......Plus I will add that I will be damned if I would spend $150 plus just so I could eat in Applebees, or TGIF someplace I do not even care for. IMO such a person is a fool.

I didn't get a CHP to allow me to eat at a restaurant, remember preciously with the CHP you still couldn't carry in these. I got it to allow me to conceal. I guess you never wear a coat?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I didn't get a CHP to allow me to eat at a restaurant, remember preciously with the CHP you still couldn't carry in these. I got it to allow me to conceal. I guess you never wear a coat?

You can't openly wear a handgun with a coat on? I stand firm in my statement, anybody who gets a CHP to open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a fool.

There is another word for people who can't figure out how to buckle a gun belt around a coat...