Thread: Foolish man, possibly Brady center agent, will make capitol "gun free"

Foolish man, possibly Brady center agent, will make capitol "gun free"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMdf2Nwev1A

Rightful behavior? Sure. We live in a statist society. Under normal circumstances, no one would exercise their right to carry this weapon in this way in that place at that time. So why scare the sheeple half to death for no reason? He could have taken the holstered handgun and made it educational for the sheeple. Instead, carry will be banned in the "people's house". What a shame.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

They tried to pass a proposal to ban carry in the Roundhouse this last session. It went nowhere.

Any proposals will have to wait until next year when the next session begins. The guy who brought the last proposal is no longer with us, so it will have to be someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by AH.74 View Post
    They tried to pass a proposal to ban carry in the Roundhouse this last session. It went nowhere.

Any proposals will have to wait until next year when the next session begins. The guy who brought the last proposal is no longer with us, so it will have to be someone else.

Hopefully they'll forget about it by then. Or if not, make it a long gun ban only and get rid of some other prohibited places/rights restrictions in return.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Did I miss the sheeple being scared half to death? Did it happen really really fast? Are you sure you posted the right video?

I saw several examples of civil discussion with a lawfully armed resident, but again, must have missed whatever it is you consider to be foolish behavior.

Banned
    That video should be rate G ... nothing much .... except people hassling a lawful gun owner

I generally don't care for the 'I'm gonna strap on my AR15 and educate folks about the second amendment' videos, but I have to say, out of all the ones I've seen, this has to be about the most civil one yet. Not sure why you're getting worked up over it. I think those officers were extremely professional, and well versed in the law, hence no intimidation, asking for papers, or belittling the guy like I see in so many other videos.

Would I strap on an AR and walk around like that? No, but in don't like drawing a lot of unwanted attention to myself.

Marketing counts for something. This was not an artful marketing display. Your average Amerikan runs on emotion. The man cannot claim he was carrying for self defense in this situation. It was an in your face political statement and neutral people will be sympathetic to the anti's. Unless communities implement portions of the Swiss model here, urban long gun open carry will always be unsettling. Not so with a handgun.

He need not sell you on his "marketing" strategy, nor does he need to justify lawfully carrying any firearm(s) he chooses as solely for the purpose of self defense.

I believe that your fearful hand-wringing and any further attempts to disparage this peacefuly armed citizen's educational activity are misplaced here.

I support the rights of others to engage in many activities and by various methods regardless of my own personal preferences or the opinions of others.

Defend Liberty, not popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post

Defend Liberty, not popularity.
    Ok, but there is a hard way and an easier way. I support the neo nazi's right to hold up signs in public, but they don't make the best free speech poster-children.

The folks who go out with their rifle, handgun, camera and copies of state law and US Constitution, thinking they're actually going to educate others or change public opinion of guns are, in my opinion, no different than the bible-thumping, sign-holding groups you see on a street corner yelling "REPENT!" and "Jesus Saves!" at all the folks that walk or drive by. Are they doing anything illegal? Nope. Is it their right to do what they do? Yep. Are they being effective in changing minds or converting personal beliefs? Highly doubtful. Folks that already believe, aren't going to believe more, but probably won't be pushed the other way either. People who don't believe, or share the same views, probably aren't gonna be compelled to start believing, just because someone held a sign and bible on a street corner, any more than folks who don't feel comfortable with or even like guns will change their view because they saw some rifle-toting equivalent to the bible thumpers walking down the road with an AR15 and a copy of the constitution. I would even venture to say it may actually have the opposite effect. Folks on the fence may look at sign-toting bible thumpers as nut case extremists, and associate all Christians with them, or they may look at an AR15 toting, constitution-waving individual as some nut job, and assume all gun carriers are equally nutty. Heck, many within the gun community itself feel these AR15 toters are crazy.

That's just how I view things. I support both group's right to look nutty, but I don't feel either group has any real positive impact on changing public opinion.

i am so confused why the op from FL posted the video so that individuals from IN, NC, and saviant could chime in?

you'll forgive me i have to get ready for the government shut down!!
    Last edited by wabbit; 09-28-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Ok, but there is a hard way and an easier way. I support the neo nazi's right to hold up signs in public, but they don't make the best free speech poster-children.
    Free speech doesn't need your approval or poster children for that matter; it is a right to be defended - especially so when the message or the bearer is unpopular.

It's the same with the right to keep and bear arms.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    The great thing about our rights are that we don't need poster-children for them. They are RIGHTS. It doesn't matter what people think or what they believe, a right is a right is a right, and regardless of what certain people might feel, they will always be rights.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.