• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Open Carry" the new ewww word in the gun community.

chowda

I see more people every day in different forums and blogs jumping on the "oc'er are trouble makers and not part of the 2nd Amend. movement."

My response was, "Got any examples?"

Your next post:
Don't give this guy any ideas...
OK, so that's your answer. No biggie as every person has their own role in the grand scheme of things.

chowda

I am not sure what ranges you have attended in "Central Wisconsin", but the larger ones I know of hold High Power shoots where ARs are the competitors' rifle of choice or it is common to see ARs, AKs and SKS rifles there target shooting.
Then that's great. I've gone to two and yes, they weren't large. I've never liked shooting at formal ranges as they have a tendency to be anal retentive about how one shoots. And the larger they are,the more anally constipated they are. But it's good that shooters at ranges are comfortable with sport utility rifles.

No idea where you got "Central Wisconsin" as I've not mentioned that in this thread but in case you've become infatuated with me and are two dimensionally following me, at least quote me right. I seriously doubt I'd capitalize central, and probably not wisconsin either. But I guess the little things are so boring in internet fights. Or maybe created and used as ammunition?

Last edited:

chowda

I will certainly back this statement up. At the outdoor range I use all summer in Oconto county, it is pretty rare to NOT see AR 15 or AK variants. The same with the outdoor ranges in SE Wisconsin.
Then that is wonderful. When I moved here, I chose not to be around green bay (I assume that's oconto?), madison, nor the milwaukee area. I chose a small town in central, oops, I mean Central Wisconsin.
Is it mandatory to think you're the subject of some plot to be a poster here or something?

Last edited:

chowda

Probably one of those ranges where guns are banned...
Good to see that those that come off as the most informed, are the least. My brother in law is a local here and he's a member of them, so I'm his guest and if anyone would ever ask, I just show them his membership cards.
But that' only happened once. They're small ranges, so I only go there when no one is there. During deer season though there are more people and that's when I had to show someone his card. :D
I mostly shoot on private land, but I guess that negates my experiences.....

I don't know how the larger ranges are where you or others are in the urban areas, but my experience (in another state) is if you go to the larger ranges during the weekdays during the day, it's a lot more open and if that's when the leos are shooting, you can BS with them, but on some ranges, they close off where they're shooting to others/walk-ins.

Yetiman

My brother in law is a local here and he's a member of them, so I'm his guest and if anyone would ever ask, I just show them his membership cards.
But that' only happened once. During deer season though there are more people and that's when I had to show someone his card. :D

So your one of those nefarious types who feels that playing by the rules is for other people....

They're small ranges, so I only go there when no one is there.

So how did you have all this interaction with other people at the range again ?

Yetiman

Then that is wonderful. When I moved here, I chose not to be around green bay (I assume that's oconto?), madison, nor the milwaukee area. I chose a small town in central, oops, I mean Central Wisconsin.
Is it mandatory to think you're the subject of some plot to be a poster here or something?

I just know that for the last two or three years I rarely make a trip to the range (and in the summer time that is several times a week on weekdays) where someone doesn't show up with an AR-15 or AK type rifle. It starts to stand out after a while. I don't actually own one myself, which makes it stand out even more to me.

The range I frequent the most is operated by the Oconto County forestry department, the county North of Brown County (where Green Bay is located). I have an annual pass which I paid for that has my name on it.

Last edited:

chowda

So your one of those nefarious types who feels that playing by the rules is for other people.
Don't know where/what you're getting at, but I'll answer that question/accusation.
I don't like crowds,
Unless I know the other person(s), I don't like shooting with other people,
I don't like shooting in lanes and/or off a bench,
I like to draw/bring weapon up and shoot, move and shoot, double tap, triple tap, multiple targets, moving targets, mag changes, etc.

Ranges are places that, due to a lot of people going there, they need to have rules and regiments of how things work. Smaller ranges, most of the time they're empty, so no need to wonder if you do some things, if someone will come waddling out of the clubhouse to scold you.

So how did you have all this interaction with other people at the range again ?
I go there to sight in scoped rifles and that's usually in the fall, so other people are there, getting ready for hunting season. I've found some people know what they are, but they don't know you can easily swap calibers with them. And most have never even touched one. ;)

Yetiman

Don't know where/what you're getting at, but I'll answer that question/accusation.

I got that from your statement:

My brother in law is a local here and he's a member of them, so I'm his guest and if anyone would ever ask, I just show them his membership cards.
But that' only happened once. During deer season though there are more people and that's when I had to show someone his card. :D

Where you are talking about getting around being a member in good standing, but still using a private range others are paying for the use and upkeep on and coming off as Mr. Slick for getting around their rules. It sure sounds like you are using his card to pass yourself off as him. If you were his guest he would be present ( :D )

Last edited:

chowda

Where you are talking about getting around being a member in good standing, but still using a private range others are paying for the use and upkeep on
lol....man I do love the internet. You just wander on and make your proclamations. Should I be more exact in what I am saying about where, what, how and why? People like you are why I rarely go to shooting ranges. Don't tell me, you're a reloader too. :lol:

chowda

It is all over the place.
Guess the person that stated it, then didn't respond to his proclamation, must have been too busy 'fighting' to give an example.

But, from your link, so you think it's a good way to represent the firearms community by walking around four different schools toting a shotgun?
Luv that kids sense of style, black shotgun, black backpack, black shirt. Don't tell me, black pants too? :lol: Representing us, keeping it classy all the way! I guess the only thing that was missing is during interviews with the media, him playing with his crotch. :banana:

Gee I don't know why anyone would have any concern over that stuff.....

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Then that's great. I've gone to two and yes, they weren't large. I've never liked shooting at formal ranges as they have a tendency to be anal retentive about how one shoots. And the larger they are,the more anally constipated they are. But it's good that shooters at ranges are comfortable with sport utility rifles.

No idea where you got "Central Wisconsin" as I've not mentioned that in this thread but in case you've become infatuated with me and are two dimensionally following me, at least quote me right. I seriously doubt I'd capitalize central, and probably not wisconsin either. But I guess the little things are so boring in internet fights. Or maybe created and used as ammunition?

Yes, the "formal" ranges tend to be very specific about how people use their firearms on the range -- it's a matter of safety. The range I use most often -- the NRA Range in Virginia -- always has RSOs observing every shooter. Since the level of shooting expertise among the people in the lanes varies greatly, it is the role of the RSO to observe and correct all unsafe behavior.

Contrast that with some of the "informal" ranges I have been to, where I have observed many unsafe actions by the shooters.

You may consider professional ranges and their RSOs to be anal retentive. I consider that shooting is a serious and potentially dangerous situation and that all of the safety rules have to be strictly observed.

Yetiman

lol....man I do love the internet. You just wander on and make your proclamations. Should I be more exact in what I am saying about where, what, how and why? People like you are why I rarely go to shooting ranges. Don't tell me, you're a reloader too. :lol:

All I have done is read what you post and have and point out what doesn't make sense to me. When called out on what you write, you spin off to try and change the subject.

At the range I have very little to say to other people unless they do something blatantly unsafe or put me in danger, or if they engage me in a conversation.

What would it matter to the subject if I were a reloader? Oh wait, a reloader would understand following rules or bad things would happen. Maybe that's it. (90% of my shooting at ranges is rimfire, which also doesn't matter).

You probably don't have a good front rest. (Doesn't have any bearing on the conversation here, I'm just playing along)

Last edited:

chowda

You may consider professional ranges and their RSOs to be anal retentive. I consider that shooting is a serious and potentially dangerous situation and that all of the safety rules have to be strictly observed.
I agree. That's why I rarely go to ranges and why whenever I shoot with others on 'informal' ranges, it's only with people I know. If others are there when I show up, I'll wait until they're done and leave before I go out there.

chowda

What would it matter to the subject if I were a reloader?
That's a stereotype of mine that they are very much into the correct protocol and details. But you've sort of gotta be that way to be one. :D

You probably don't have a good front rest. (Doesn't have any bearing on the conversation here, I'm just playing along)
Don't have a good nights rest either. It's 11 pm on a sunday and I've gotta get up for work in 5 hours, so I vote for my version.

pkbites

Have you ever carried a sidearm in your daily life? It's an annoyance and ironically, open carry of pistols makes it a little more comfortable. Or are you talking about walking around with a rifle, into a restaurant, into a grocery store, to see a concert in a public place? Do you know how much of a PITFA toting around a long gun is?

I carry a pistol every waking moment of my life. At least 8 hours a day it's open carry.

And my previous post was talking about history. What do you think the origins of laws against concealed carry were?

XDUser

But as they say, stereotypes are wrong to apply to individuals but very often have merit across groups.

Almost never log into the forums but I wanted to quote that line. Really enjoy seeing that someone else thinks that way too.
Gun groups need to stop fighting with each other as that only hurts gun rights, but in every group you have the smart people, the silly people and the retards.

anmut

Guess the person that stated it, then didn't respond to his proclamation, must have been too busy 'fighting' to give an example.

But, from your link, so you think it's a good way to represent the firearms community by walking around four different schools toting a shotgun?
Luv that kids sense of style, black shotgun, black backpack, black shirt. Don't tell me, black pants too? :lol: Representing us, keeping it classy all the way! I guess the only thing that was missing is during interviews with the media, him playing with his crotch. :banana:

Gee I don't know why anyone would have any concern over that stuff.....

Hey troll - I stated it, you just didn't read it. GO TO WWW.THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM AND READ THE COMMENTS ON ANY OF THE OPEN CARRY POSTS.