• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Open Carry" the new ewww word in the gun community.

anmut

Obama's divide and conquer is working - and it wasn't even his idea! I see more people every day in different forums and blogs jumping on the "oc'er are trouble makers and not part of the 2nd Amend. movement."

The way I see it - OC is in real danger of being made illegal in areas where the nanny moms yell loud enough. I try to remind people that cops don't choose to carry concealed, so why should I? However many people are beginning to use my most hated words when it comes to guns - "need." As in - "why do guys need to carry openly if you have concealed carry" "Why do guys feel the need to carry rifles instead of pistols."

It's a dangerously dividing subject that we need to come together on or the gun-grabbers are going to get their way!

protias

Don't believe the lies. I read an article yesterday (and now I can't find it :cuss:) that OC is growing.

b0neZ

Ask them to point out the part in the Bill of Needs (make sure to use that phrase) where it says you have to carry in a certain way.

Last edited:

pkbites

And to think that at one time in this country open carry was the only way to go. People who concealed their weapons were considered cowards who were hiding their intentions and could not be trusted.

Today it is the soccer mom types who are the cowards. They don't like to know your intention is to protect yourself without the need for a government entity. They don't want to have to think about bad things that can happen in life and your openly carried weapon forces them to think about those things. How dare you!:rolleyes:

Franky

And to think that at one time in this country open carry was the only way to go. People who concealed their weapons were considered cowards who were hiding their intentions and could not be trusted.

Today it is the soccer mom types who are the cowards. They don't like to know your intention is to protect yourself without the need for a government entity. They don't want to have to think about bad things that can happen in life and your openly carried weapon forces them to think about those things. How dare you!:rolleyes:

Like to pick on women do ya? I know some moms of soccer who OC.

jhfc

Yes, my girlfriend is a soccer mom, most definitely pro RKBA and working up to OCing.

But as they say, stereotypes are wrong to apply to individuals but very often have merit across groups.

chowda

I see more people every day in different forums and blogs jumping on the "oc'er are trouble makers and not part of the 2nd Amend. movement."
Got any examples?

The way I see it - OC is in real danger of being made illegal in areas where the nanny moms yell loud enough.
Speaking for me, I've never heard that. But in appleton this weekend, those putting on their public meeting, have requested that there be no "political statements", so ******** should leave their long guns at home, but they also said people should leave their chickens at home too.

Wow, what used to be a normal family outing has now turned into a political event.
So who's winning the PR?

Moms and "the children" have always been used as a tool to con people, or indoctrinate those not yet fully programmed to react accordingly.
And while they are shopping for granola labelled ****, a few nutbags show up carrying (in their eyes) "military assault weapons".
Wow, I'd guess 90% of the us have never served in the military and have been sitting around watching american idol or buddha only knows what.
Oops, my bad, they should accept you.

I try to remind people that cops don't choose to carry concealed, so why should I?
Silly. I've never seen a cop anywhere in the us that walked around with his ar carbine on his back. Come to think of it, neither their 870. Nor any 700 from their custom shop.
Is this what you're talking about or are you just trying to be some internet hero?

Oh, and leos wear markings, designating themselves as who they are. So, with the gathering in appleton this weekend, shall we all see a a few people with "military assault weapons" waddling around? Be sure to dress in black, head to toe, and if ya can, sew in a couple of home made "police" or "atf" or "inspector" or .... on yourself.

Wow, I wonder what people will think then.......

chowda

And to think that at one time in this country open carry was the only way to go.
Do you do drugs? Have you ever carried a sidearm in your daily life? It's an annoyance and ironically, open carry of pistols makes it a little more comfortable. Or are you talking about walking around with a rifle, into a restaurant, into a grocery store, to see a concert in a public place? Do you know how much of a PITFA toting around a long gun is?

I'm all for open carry, but people that lug around long guns--for demonstration purposes only--are as good to the gun community as shakedown jesse jackson or sharpie are for race relations/understanding. Conjobs (dems/rinos) using dumbasses acting out usually get what they want. Or even if they don't get their desired ends, dumbasses walking around in public with long guns will turn a shade more people against those evil "guns".

Interceptor_Knight

Oh, and leos wear markings, designating themselves as who they are. So, with the gathering in appleton this weekend, shall we all see a a few people with "military assault weapons" waddling around? Be sure to dress in black, head to toe, and if ya can, sew in a couple of home made "police" or "atf" or "inspector" or .... on yourself.
More with the projection of your stereotypical prejudices... Give it a break.....
Wow, what used to be a normal family outing has now turned into a political event.

Soon, people will accept that OC is "normal" and your chicken little (anti-carry) act will have been for naught...

MKEgal

pkbites said:
And to think that at one time in this country open carry was the only way to go.
chowda said:
Have you ever carried a sidearm in your daily life?
LOL! Still pretending to be new, huh?
You know perfectly well that he does. (Just like many of the rest of us.)

chowda said:
I'm all for open carry, but...
The conjunction "but" negates the idea which was expressed before.
("On the contrary, on the other hand, with the exception of..." merriam-webster.com)
So those who say "I'm supportive of gay marriage, but I don't want to see them holding hands" really are not supportive of equal rights.
Similarly, those who say "I support the Second Amendment, but open carry shouldn't be allowed, it scares people" really do not support the Second Amendment.
I don't like butters.
Butters are detrimental to 2A rights, since they're willing to throw us under the bus if only the sheeple will leave them alone, let them have their cc-only status with gov't registration.
Basically, they don't want a right, they only want a privilege.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Obama's divide and conquer is working - and it wasn't even his idea! I see more people every day in different forums and blogs jumping on the "oc'er are trouble makers and not part of the 2nd Amend. movement."

Who gives a crap what the tacticool crowd thinks? Sounds like a bunch of projection anyway.

Last edited:

chowda

Soon, people will accept that OC is "normal" and
If you are talking about open carrying of pistols on your belt, then yes, it could easily become acceptable as heck, even cops do that and they implicitly are respectable.
If you are talking about people wandering around public places with 'assault rifles/shotguns' while people shop or watch entertainment with their family, you are way mistaken. Buffoonery like that will do nothing but drive people away from not only open carry, but concealed carry and of course, fulfill all the negative stereotypes of gunowners as being insecure, out of touch males that lack social skills.

I've been to shooting ranges in WI a few times and when I was there, the people there had no idea about an AR. They knew what one was, but that's about it. I was telling a few guys there about what a wonderful firearm platform it is and how the 308 is such a good cartridge for deer hunting and one guy stated with a nod that he prefers a 243. I told him that I also like a 243 and (by showing him), just pop out two pins, then stick on another upper and you now have a 243. Or 7mm-08. Or....and the .223 AR even has a greater caliber selection to choose from.
He was floored. He had no idea as he knew nothing about ARs. I offered to let him shoot it--he declined, but was OK with just holding it and looking through the scope. I knew I had converted him, but he did have his pride. I also converted his son and a few others standing by, watching. I guess I just went to where he and his family shopped, then stood there in black holding my AR to convert him......

chowda

LOL! Still pretending to be new, huh?
Actually no, I'm on the back side of middle aged. Haven't been new for quite a few decades.

The conjunction "but" negates the idea which was expressed before.
It does? Wow, OK, I'm all for ending violence, but if someone assaults me.....OK, you got me. I guess I'm for violence.

I don't care who bangs who, but just don't ask me to accept it. They can do whatever they want, as long as they leave me and my family alone.
But for some reason, activists are never like that. They just want to keep pushing, pushing, getting in people's faces...which usually get's the contrary response to acceptance and tolerance.
So how did the general population view the teachers after their 'rightful demonstrations' in madison?

chowda

Who gives a crap what the tacticool crowd thinks?
I'd like to say, I don't give a crap about them, but unfortunatly their acting out could very well remove/restrict the rights of a lot of firearms owners in WI. We've got a good thing here and it'd be a shame if a handful of people running around and/or hanging out in public urban places with 'assault weapons' ruins it for the normal gun owners. But I guess it's all about those individuals in the first place.

Franky

That's your opinion. Maybe we should wear bright orange clothing. Will that be ok? It would block mass hysteria. Winter is coming!
[/I]

If you is a deer hunter blaze orange is the uniform of the day. You wont even have to ask permission.

Over 700,000 peeps wearing blaze orange carrying hi poz for nine days in November is mass hysteria.:D

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

I've been to shooting ranges in WI a few times and when I was there, the people there had no idea about an AR. They knew what one was, but that's about it...
I am not sure what ranges you have attended in "Central Wisconsin", but the larger ones I know of hold High Power shoots where ARs are the competitors' rifle of choice or it is common to see ARs, AKs and SKS rifles there target shooting.

Yetiman

I am not sure what ranges you have attended in "Central Wisconsin", but the larger ones I know of hold High Power shoots where ARs are the competitors' rifle of choice or it is common to see ARs, AKs and SKS rifles there target shooting.

I will certainly back this statement up. At the outdoor range I use all summer in Oconto county, it is pretty rare to NOT see AR 15 or AK variants. The same with the outdoor ranges in SE Wisconsin.

protias

Probably one of those ranges where guns are banned...