Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 93

Thread: OT: Tenino man mistaken for bank robber at Timberland Bank in Tumwater

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    766

    OT: Tenino man mistaken for bank robber at Timberland Bank in Tumwater

    I have been a customer at this bank and make it a point to never OC there because I always felt the staff were "Chicken Littles". I'm cancelling my account in the next week or two.

    http://www.theolympian.com/2013/09/2...nk-robber.html

    Excerpt

    By JEREMY PAWLOSKI Staff writer

    Employees at the Timberland Bank on Trosper Road in Tumwater treated Thomas Budsberg like a bank robber during a recent visit to the branch - even tripping an alarm that resulted in police drawing guns and handcuffing the 59-year-old man.

    "I thought they were going to shoot me," Budsberg said of his ordeal the afternoon of Sept. 16. "I have trouble sleeping at night too."

    Budsberg and a companion were released by police after realizing he had not robbed the bank, and was not a bank robbery suspect. The case of mistaken identity left Budsberg shaken. He said he is afraid to return to Tumwater after the incident.

    Timberland Bank CEO Michael Sand said he believes employees did nothing wrong during the encounter. Sand said employees at the bank were on alert for Budsberg, because had come into the bank in August, took some brochures, and left.

  2. #2
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Brent View Post
    I have been a customer at this bank and make it a point to never OC there because I always felt the staff were "Chicken Littles". I'm cancelling my account in the next week or two.
    Appears as if the victim will be doing so as well:
    He added that he has a property loan through Timberland Bank, but that he normally goes to a branch in Olympia to conduct his business. He said he won't be conducting bank business at the Tuwmater branch anymore. And as soon as he pays off his loan "I'm going to drop them," he added.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897
    Heck, I'd refinance the loan with someone else. Take that income away from them. Those bank employees should be sued for the harassment and anguish.

  4. #4
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpuma View Post
    Heck, I'd refinance the loan with someone else. Take that income away from them.
    Sometimes, that just isn't possible or financially prudent (read: too expensive). But if the terms were comparable I'd be inclined to do so, sure.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    This guy should sue, I'm sure he could find some legal basis.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762
    Lt. Jay Mason of the Tumwater Police Department said that bank alarms should only be tripped if there is a bank robbery or an employee believes a bank robbery is imminent.


    Or if the teller is stricken with a case of AQUS (Acute Quivering Uterus Syndrome) and doesn't know what else to do.

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    It's not just the banks fault. Don't forget the costumed agents who were all to eager to draw guns on innocent people.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Regular Member Logan 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    690
    I had a very similar problem with Zions First National Bank in Castle Dale Utah back in spring of 1995.
    Call their bluff- contact the federales and pitch a fit.
    You know, folks like the Federal Reserve and the Comptroller of the Currency.
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

    Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

    I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    the guy is stopping business with that BRANCH .. not the bank.

    seems not to be that upset

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    It's not just the banks fault. Don't forget the costumed agents who were all to eager to draw guns on innocent people.
    Let's try a simple mental exercise. You're a cop in Tumwater. You get a call that this bank hit their holdup alarm. They state this guy matches the description of a known bank robber from Tacoma. This is all the information you have when you locate him. What approach would you use?

    Monday morning quarterbacking is all well and good, when you have the information available to you, but when you're approaching a suspect and know only what you're given AT THAT MOMENT, it's a little different. If I had that call, I would've reacted exactly the same. I would be responsible for the safety of not only the potential suspect and myself, but anyone else in the vicinity- gas station employees, customers, passersby, etc. If he'd been a Bad Guy and, upon seeing the cops, come out of his car guns ablazin', then what? Would this approach have been too low-key for you?
    "There is NO timer in a gunfight, but there IS another guy with a gun, and he's probably in a hurry!"- from someone who bothered to go and check

  11. #11
    Regular Member Bill45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    160
    What has this whole thread have to do with Open Carry?

    Drop the subject and move on.

    This thread needs to be moved to some other forum, like the Mistaken Identity At a Bank forum.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill45 View Post
    What has this whole thread have to do with Open Carry?

    Drop the subject and move on.

    This thread needs to be moved to some other forum, like the Mistaken Identity At a Bank forum.
    I get mistakened for other people all the time. I always hear "there's that freaking A**pole". I guess I just have a face that is familiar to a lot of others.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Let's try a simple mental exercise. You're a cop in Tumwater. You get a call that this bank hit their holdup alarm. They state this guy matches the description of a known bank robber from Tacoma. This is all the information you have when you locate him. What approach would you use?

    Monday morning quarterbacking is all well and good, when you have the information available to you, but when you're approaching a suspect and know only what you're given AT THAT MOMENT, it's a little different. If I had that call, I would've reacted exactly the same. I would be responsible for the safety of not only the potential suspect and myself, but anyone else in the vicinity- gas station employees, customers, passersby, etc. If he'd been a Bad Guy and, upon seeing the cops, come out of his car guns ablazin', then what? Would this approach have been too low-key for you?
    So what? Now you can point guns at people because they match a vague description?

    Quit being an apologist.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Slightly right of center
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    So what? Now you can point guns at people because they match a vague description?
    Quit being an apologist.
    I think Stoked has a legitimate point. Was the cop supposed to introduce himself, shake the guy's hand and ask how he could help? No, he was supposed to do exactly what he did. Bank robberies are exactly the situation where we want the police there, with an aggressive attitude and an unholstered firearm.

    Look, we all get it that you don't like being pushed around - neither do I - but they're not always automatically at fault when a mistake gets made. This time someone at the bank made the mistake, not the cops.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Dave_pro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Let's try a simple mental exercise. You're a cop in Tumwater. You get a call that this bank hit their holdup alarm. They state this guy matches the description of a known bank robber from Tacoma. This is all the information you have when you locate him. What approach would you use?

    Monday morning quarterbacking is all well and good, when you have the information available to you, but when you're approaching a suspect and know only what you're given AT THAT MOMENT, it's a little different. If I had that call, I would've reacted exactly the same. I would be responsible for the safety of not only the potential suspect and myself, but anyone else in the vicinity- gas station employees, customers, passersby, etc. If he'd been a Bad Guy and, upon seeing the cops, come out of his car guns ablazin', then what? Would this approach have been too low-key for you?
    Apologist.

    SCOTUS has ruled that LEO have no duty to protect an individual citizen.

    LEO are responsible for following and enforcing COTUS and BOR.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 09-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Dave_pro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Flopsweat View Post
    This time someone at the bank made the mistake, not the cops.
    Ahh the old "it's the other guy's fault" excuse. WINNING!

    And it wasn't a mistake. Nothing about it was a mistake. It was 100% intentional -- on the part of bank employees and LEO. The bank employes intended this to happen, the LEO involved intended this to happen -- imho.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 09-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    was not mistaken ID ... it was no id at all IMO... and
    its a false report.

    guy who reported it should be in jail
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.

  18. #18
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    was not mistaken ID ... it was mistaken characterization just because the guy was carrying ... and
    its a false report.

    guy who reported it should be in jail
    "Carrying" what? Nothing in the story mentioned he had a gun, only the cops had guns (just the way it should be).
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  19. #19
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    "Carrying" what? Nothing in the story mentioned he had a gun, only the cops had guns (just the way it should be).
    I am hoping your parenthetical is in sarcasm, but I am wanting to make sure. Well, Is it? or is it not?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    So what? Now you can point guns at people because they match a vague description?

    Quit being an apologist.
    A, you apparently don't want to answer my question; and

    B, what's an apologist? My wife keeps telling me I need to apologize, usually when she's in the wrong, lol.
    "There is NO timer in a gunfight, but there IS another guy with a gun, and he's probably in a hurry!"- from someone who bothered to go and check

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Ahh the old "it's the other guy's fault" excuse. WINNING!

    And it wasn't a mistake. Nothing about it was a mistake. It was 100% intentional -- on the part of bank employees and LEO. The bank employes intended this to happen, the LEO involved intended this to happen -- imho.
    Sure glad you added that IMHO...Because it sounds a lot like paranoid conspiracy theory- the bank whackos and the cops picked some dude to grab at gunpoint...why, exactly?
    "There is NO timer in a gunfight, but there IS another guy with a gun, and he's probably in a hurry!"- from someone who bothered to go and check

  22. #22
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I am hoping your parenthetical is in sarcasm, but I am wanting to make sure. Well, Is it? or is it not?
    Call me CPT. Sarcastic!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Slightly right of center
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Ahh the old "it's the other guy's fault" excuse. WINNING!
    And it wasn't a mistake. Nothing about it was a mistake. It was 100% intentional -- on the part of bank employees and LEO. The bank employes intended this to happen, the LEO involved intended this to happen -- imho.
    I'm not making excuses for anyone. And could you tell me specifically what lead you to the conclusion that it was intentional?

  24. #24
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Flopsweat View Post
    I think Stoked has a legitimate point. Was the cop supposed to introduce himself, shake the guy's hand and ask how he could help? No, he was supposed to do exactly what he did. Bank robberies are exactly the situation where we want the police there, with an aggressive attitude and an unholstered firearm.

    Look, we all get it that you don't like being pushed around - neither do I - but they're not always automatically at fault when a mistake gets made. This time someone at the bank made the mistake, not the cops.
    So, what crime what the guy witnesses almost committing? What proof is there that he was about to commit a crime?
    He was not even at the bank when he was arrested, so how did the cop do the 'right thing' by arresting the guy further down the road?
    The proper response at that distance (no longer at the bank) would have been to have a "stop and talk", not a "move and die."

    AGAIN he was NOT at the bank for at WORST trespassing, NOT bank robbery.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  25. #25
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    So, what crime what the guy witnesses almost committing? What proof is there that he was about to commit a crime?
    He was not even at the bank when he was arrested, so how did the cop do the 'right thing' by arresting the guy further down the road?
    The proper response at that distance (no longer at the bank) would have been to have a "stop and talk", not a "move and die."

    AGAIN he was NOT at the bank for at WORST trespassing, NOT bank robbery.
    +1 Notice the avoidance if non cops could do the same thing?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •