• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Situational Awareness

Esanders2008

So I had a strange encounter yesterday. My wife and I were leaving our apartment to walk to a local restaurant to meet a friend. As we left the apartment, I noticed a man dart out from behind a vehicle about 45 ft to my 2:00 position.

He says, "Hey man!" and starts approaching us. I didn't feel comfortable with this, and I didn't know the guy. (I know several of my neighbors, and had never seen this guy before.) As he approached, I told him that I "wasn't interested."

He keeps approaching us and says "Oh you aren't interested? You afraid of people?" I respond with "I just don't like people I don't know approaching me like that."

He continues to walk up behind us, and says, "Oh you'll get over that."

I finally stop walking and turn around and tell him to leave us alone. He cuts across the the parking lot and approaches a waiting truck. He then turned around and began to yell at us and approach us again, telling us to not "give him that crazy look."

At this point, I reached behind my back, where I had my glock concealed IWB, and I saw Courtney reaching into her purse for her .38. (we never had to actually draw)

In a very loud voice that would wake the dead, I commanded him to STOP! LEAVE US ALONE. GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE AWAY!

The man yelled back at me, "what are you reaching for?!"

I simply continued my commands, and eventually, after yelling at us in Spanish, he got in the truck and drove away.

One thing I did notice was the driver of the truck was very calm. He didn't look at me with the "stank eye", he didn't yell, and he obviously didn't want to be involved at all. He even drove away calmly.

Personally I think we handled the situation very well, but if there was anything we could have done differently, we would like to know.

MamaLiberty

I commanded him to STOP! LEAVE US ALONE. GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE AWAY!

You obviously did ok, since the situation was defused and the potential attacker did go away. Personally, I would have said "Stop! Leave us/me alone. I have a gun and I know how to use it." That's all. I would have kept my hand near my gun and watched him until he did go away, or I was forced to draw, whichever.

In the three potential attacks I've experienced, the presence of my OC gun - and once my grip on that gun after lifting the retention strap - caused the would be bad guys to run like hell. I didn't have to tell them I had a gun... they could see it. I only actually had to shoot once... http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846 That attacker ignored the gun in my hand, pointed straight at him. So you just never know.

The potential for a continued attack is greater, obviously, if they cannot see it... but in that case there should be no problem with clearly warning them that you DO. And then you just have to hope they take the hint.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
So I had a strange encounter yesterday. My wife and I were leaving our apartment to walk to a local restaurant to meet a friend. As we left the apartment, I noticed a man dart out from behind a vehicle about 45 ft to my 2:00 position.

He says, "Hey man!" and starts approaching us. I didn't feel comfortable with this, and I didn't know the guy. (I know several of my neighbors, and had never seen this guy before.) As he approached, I told him that I "wasn't interested."

He keeps approaching us and says "Oh you aren't interested? You afraid of people?" I respond with "I just don't like people I don't know approaching me like that."

He continues to walk up behind us, and says, "Oh you'll get over that."

I finally stop walking and turn around and tell him to leave us alone. He cuts across the the parking lot and approaches a waiting truck. He then turned around and began to yell at us and approach us again, telling us to not "give him that crazy look."

At this point, I reached behind my back, where I had my glock concealed IWB, and I saw Courtney reaching into her purse for her .38. (we never had to actually draw)

In a very loud voice that would wake the dead, I commanded him to STOP! LEAVE US ALONE. GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE AWAY!

The man yelled back at me, "what are you reaching for?!"

I simply continued my commands, and eventually, after yelling at us in Spanish, he got in the truck and drove away.

One thing I did notice was the driver of the truck was very calm. He didn't look at me with the "stank eye", he didn't yell, and he obviously didn't want to be involved at all. He even drove away calmly.

Personally I think we handled the situation very well, but if there was anything we could have done differently, we would like to know.

Seems to me that you did just fine... but did you make a report to the police? If he's approaching you, chances are good that he's approaching others. Did you get the license plate info to pass on to the police?

wrearick

Heck, my adrenaline was flowing just reading the story, I didn't think about a license plate either. don't know if taking out a cell phone and begining to tape the encounter would have made a difference or not. .......

"Hey man, what cha doin?"

"I am recording this incident so when you fail to heed my warnings and I am forced to defend myself I will have evidence to prove why I felt it necessary to use deadly force."

(said from someone who has not been in such a position before and thinks I could say that much coherently without my voice cracking):p

Esanders2008

Heck, my adrenaline was flowing just reading the story, I didn't think about a license plate either. don't know if taking out a cell phone and begining to tape the encounter would have made a difference or not. .......

"Hey man, what cha doin?"

"I am recording this incident so when you fail to heed my warnings and I am forced to defend myself I will have evidence to prove why I felt it necessary to use deadly force."

(said from someone who has not been in such a position before and thinks I could say that much coherently without my voice cracking):p

I really need to get a recorder... BUT I was lucky. There were two gentlemen working on a car nearby that saw the whole thing. I talked to them afterwards and they agreed that there are too many crazies out.

Sir Diealotz

Good deal IMO.

Perhaps have your smart phone or ??? convenient to record in case needed i.e. Get a picture or video of the vehicle and plate as they leave.

wrearick

I really need to get a recorder... BUT I was lucky. There were two gentlemen working on a car nearby that saw the whole thing. I talked to them afterwards and they agreed that there are too many crazies out.

if you have a smart phone there is an app for that. I have voice recorder and video recorder on my main page where I can start them in a hurry if need be.

Rusty Young Man

Glad to hear your experience went nowhere crime-wise, but you should file a report, as others have already mentioned. You never know who this nutjob may target next, or what he would do to the next person. Plus, you have two third-party witnesses that can also file reports on this guy. Sadly, you can't always count on credible/honest witnesses, or any witnesses, being present. A minimum of a video and/or audio recorder is a MUST-HAVE when out and about seeing as antis, statists and gun-grabbers have been known to make politicians look like Honest Abe by comparison. Reading some of these threads, I hate to admit that a couple have B action movie potential.

I am a poor university student, so my funds are quite limited as is without having to go through expensive litigation to deal with a lying hoplophobe's twisted accusations against me (probability low, but possibility exists, as evidenced by threads here on OCDO). A recorder is just a low-cost kind of insurance, and a lot easier to carry around than an adult (same reason I carry a 1911 instead of a cop).:lol: Even a $200 purchase of a very high-quality video recorder will seem cheap compared to learning about the entire drawn-out legal process firsthand.

I can personally vouch for the Veho Muvi Pro Micro, which costs about $40 if bought used from Amazon:
(http://www.amazon.com/Veho-Muvi-Pro...UTF8&qid=1374886330&sr=8-2&keywords=muvi+veho)
I've ordered a second (limited funds force me to assemble my carry get-up piecemeal). Just recommend buying a class 10 8gb Micro SD card for higher transfer speeds and smoother recordings.

I have FreeInAZ to thank for answering my questions about it after I'd narrowed the Video/Audio recorder candidates to three. He or Bikenut (if memory serves me right) could probably also point you to some decent, highly-affordable recorders.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
So I had a strange encounter yesterday. My wife and I were leaving our apartment to walk

1. At this point, I reached behind my back, where I had my glock concealed IWB, and I saw Courtney reaching into her purse for her .38. (we never had to actually draw)

2. In a very loud voice that would wake the dead, I commanded him to STOP! LEAVE US ALONE. GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE AWAY!

3. I simply continued my commands, and eventually, after yelling at us in Spanish, he got in the truck and drove away.

4. Personally I think we handled the situation very well, but if there was anything we could have done differently, we would like to know.

1. I have been in situations like this with my Sweet Baboo. When we get to where I am moving to the weapon, her job is commo first, ie.911. She stays on the line and gives running commentary.

2. This is great. Command voice is a great tool.

3. see 2

4. You both did great as no one was injured.

I didn't even want to take my eyes of the guy. My phone has a voice recorder too

This is good tactics. Eyes on the threat. You did well, Grasshopper!

Esanders2008

Glad to hear your experience went nowhere crime-wise, but you should file a report, as others have already mentioned. You never know who this nutjob may target next, or what he would do to the next person. Plus, you have two third-party witnesses that can also file reports on this guy. Sadly, you can't always count on credible/honest witnesses, or any witnesses, being present. A minimum of a video and/or audio recorder is a MUST-HAVE when out and about seeing as antis, statists and gun-grabbers have been known to make politicians look like Honest Abe by comparison. Reading some of these threads, I hate to admit that a couple have B action movie potential.

I am a poor university student, so my funds are quite limited as is without having to go through expensive litigation to deal with a lying hoplophobe's twisted accusations against me (probability low, but possibility exists, as evidenced by threads here on OCDO). A recorder is just a low-cost kind of insurance, and a lot easier to carry around than an adult (same reason I carry a 1911 instead of a cop).:lol: Even a $200 purchase of a very high-quality video recorder will seem cheap compared to learning about the entire drawn-out legal process firsthand.

I can personally vouch for the Veho Muvi Pro Micro, which costs about $40 if bought used from Amazon:
(http://www.amazon.com/Veho-Muvi-Pro...UTF8&qid=1374886330&sr=8-2&keywords=muvi+veho)
I've ordered a second (limited funds force me to assemble my carry get-up piecemeal). Just recommend buying a class 10 8gb Micro SD card for higher transfer speeds and smoother recordings.

I have FreeInAZ to thank for answering my questions about it after I'd narrowed the Video/Audio recorder candidates to three. He or Bikenut (if memory serves me right) could probably also point you to some decent, highly-affordable recorders.

I'm a university student too, and my funds are also limited. I will take a look at that recorder though. :)

Esanders2008

1. I have been in situations like this with my Sweet Baboo. When we get to where I am moving to the weapon, her job is commo first, ie.911. She stays on the line and gives running commentary.

2. This is great. Command voice is a great tool.

3. see 2

4. You both did great as no one was injured.

This is good tactics. Eyes on the threat. You did well, Grasshopper!

Thank you!

Esanders2008

You should have, and still should report the incident to the police.

The first person to call the police is the victim, everyone after that has some explaining to do.

What exactly do you say? That has always been one of my weak points. I don't want to say too much and maybe get myself in trouble.

Rusty Young Man

That's actually a really great tactic. One provides suppressive fire (or the threat thereof) while the other calls in reinforcements. I'm short a spousal unit, and my friends don't carry, so I guess I have an excuse to go looking for a pro-2A spousal unit (as if that's necessary :lol:).

Maverick9

What you did wrong...

While leaving your apartment... 1) He knows where you live;

You were approached, but your life was not threatened, but reached for your gun... 2) by some definitions you brandished

You engaged the person in conversation... 3) You have no way to identify him because you didn't divide up the SA tasks with your partner correctly. She should be operating the cell phone and the camera. If the guy got violent you WANT 911 on the line to hear it go down.

He ran over to a truck where a friend was waiting...4) But you did not get a license number or any way to identify the truck or the driver

He was driven off and you went to the restaurant...5) But did not call in a report to the police

Though you had witnesses...6) I bet you did not get their names or any contact information (something you'd normally do for a car accident, right?)

You reached for your firearms... 7) He and his friend, knowing where you live, now know you have firearms probably worth stealing.

By not calling it in to the cops... 8) The guy could have called them and said 'I was just walking down the street and two people who live in Apartment building XYZ came out and threatened me with their guns'.

Other than that, you did good. No injuries, no robbery.

Last edited: