Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why at school?

Why at school?

I was asked a question while at a local sporting good establishment which I am going to pass on to the people here. Why carry a gun at a school and why not just leave if asked to? I don't think he meant this in a legal way.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I was asked a question while at a local sporting good establishment which I am going to pass on to the people here. Why carry a gun at a school and why not just leave if asked to? I don't think he meant this in a legal way.
    Yep, completely unnecessary. Nothing bad ever happens at a school.

Deleted.
    Last edited by casper; 09-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.

In Michigan I think both questions can have the same answer: because I carry everywhere it is legal for me to do so.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    That's the mind set of the sheeple. The police will protect us. Bah bah bah.
    and?
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

The government forcibly taxes us to pay for schools. As a best case scenario, they are our hired servants, as a worst case, armed robbers since the weight of the governments guns keeps them in operation.

Why in the hell would we disarm ourselves willingly when capable of safe and legal carry? More importantly, why in the hell would we disarm ourselves willingly for hired servants/armed robbers? Sure, certain issues such as crowds may make CC or a non gun weapon the superior choice (if laws allow/are being followed) but why disarm yourself?

Unless of course you want to go with "think of the children!" but then you have to disarm yourself everywhere a kid could be, and for what?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Re: Why at school?

As a parent of a younger child I would be much more secure in knowing that there was atleast several armed law-abiding citizens at my child's school. Why? I know the police are at best 5-10 minutes away. A lot can happen in 5-10 minutes or longer. Our Sheriff has made plans to post deputies at all school locations. His strongest opposition to date has come from where? THE SCHOOLS.

Delusonial approach to crime = post signs you know criminals won't obey! Then when something happens say "but we have signs, we don't know why this keeps happening?" Really? This is akin to the Banks leaving the money laying all over on the floor overnight, shades up, doors unlocked and posting a sign saying " NO THEFT!" :thumbdown:

Schools, movie theaters, churches, fairs, etc... that have no lawful carry policies are NUT MAGNETS because NUTS recognize policy after their own hearts.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-27-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

The best answer I have come across so far is:

"Because I'm not the one that get's to choose when I'm attacked"

Deleted.
    Last edited by casper; 09-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.

And what ?
    was hoping for an expansion on your answer
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Deleted.
    Last edited by casper; 09-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Deleted.
    Last edited by casper; 10-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.

My response wasn't what Raggs liked so I'm deleting my replies.
    That's silly...unless there's more to it.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Deleted.
    Last edited by casper; 10-04-2013 at 05:36 PM.

I would have replied with a question "where do all the most recent mass killer incidents happen?" Let the facts speak for themselves. Then have a list of all the times a gun carrier has reduced or actually stopped a mass killer.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    I would have replied with a question "where do all the most recent mass killer incidents happen?" Let the facts speak for themselves. Then have a list of all the times a gun carrier has reduced or actually stopped a mass killer.
    +1
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Answer: Because I am not Chinese.
    What. In. The. World? Racist much?
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Not racist just a fact.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

In addition, it's also not just about the school property itself. If the law is written such that you can't possess (let alone carry) a weapon somewhere, then you're also disarmed anywhere you might go before and after. Thus the prohibition effectively extends far beyond school property. This is the situation I'm dealing with here, but Michigan laws may be less ridiculous.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    In addition, it's also not just about the school property itself. If the law is written such that you can't possess (let alone carry) a weapon somewhere, then you're also disarmed anywhere you might go before and after. Thus the prohibition effectively extends far beyond school property. This is the situation I'm dealing with here, but Michigan laws may be less ridiculous.
    In Michigan you can leave the gun in the car while you run into the school. I think the persons question is a legitimate one. I think a well thought out answer would be a good idea, " because I can" falls well short of that. We have gun people asking this question as was the case here, not anti-gun people like someone implied. I know people, and have done so myself, who lock their weapons in the vehicle. So anymore answers?
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

So anymore answers?
    I would have thought the answer was pretty clear: I carry everywhere it is legal to do so because I do not know when the unforseable event will happen that requires me to protect myself or my loved ones against the threat of severe bodily injury or even death.

What other answer could there be? Choosing to voluntarily disarm when not legally required to do so means that I may not be able to protect myself or my loved ones should the unthinkable happen. Why would anyone think that was a good idea?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I would have thought the answer was pretty clear: I carry everywhere it is legal to do so because I do not know when the unforseable event will happen that requires me to protect myself or my loved ones against the threat of severe bodily injury or even death.

What other answer could there be? Choosing to voluntarily disarm when not legally required to do so means that I may not be able to protect myself or my loved ones should the unthinkable happen. Why would anyone think that was a good idea?
    +1

Why carry a gun at a school(?)
    So I have more options than just getting shot if an Adam Lanza, Eric Harris, or Dylan Klebold shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs
    why not just leave if asked to?
    For the same reason Rosa Parks, at the front of the bus, didn't leave when she was asked to.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

In Michigan you can leave the gun in the car while you run into the school. ...
    What about those people who walk/bike everywhere or take public transportation?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

In Michigan you can leave the gun in the car while you run into the school. I think the persons question is a legitimate one. I think a well thought out answer would be a good idea, " because I can" falls well short of that. We have gun people asking this question as was the case here, not anti-gun people like someone implied. I know people, and have done so myself, who lock their weapons in the vehicle. So anymore answers?

How about just "Adam Lanza, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold"
    Last edited by F350; 10-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast