• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why at school?

JustaShooter

So anymore answers?
I would have thought the answer was pretty clear: I carry everywhere it is legal to do so because I do not know when the unforseable event will happen that requires me to protect myself or my loved ones against the threat of severe bodily injury or even death.

What other answer could there be? Choosing to voluntarily disarm when not legally required to do so means that I may not be able to protect myself or my loved ones should the unthinkable happen. Why would anyone think that was a good idea?

casper

I would have thought the answer was pretty clear: I carry everywhere it is legal to do so because I do not know when the unforseable event will happen that requires me to protect myself or my loved ones against the threat of severe bodily injury or even death.

What other answer could there be? Choosing to voluntarily disarm when not legally required to do so means that I may not be able to protect myself or my loved ones should the unthinkable happen. Why would anyone think that was a good idea?
+1

F350

In Michigan you can leave the gun in the car while you run into the school. I think the persons question is a legitimate one. I think a well thought out answer would be a good idea, " because I can" falls well short of that. We have gun people asking this question as was the case here, not anti-gun people like someone implied. I know people, and have done so myself, who lock their weapons in the vehicle. So anymore answers?

How about just "Adam Lanza, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold"

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Because we never know when an event will take place. But I think a better question is "Why not"? Why can a person with a CPL (or anyone else) be deemed OK to carry everywhere else but a few select places?
If we can, for the sake of the argument, accept the ban on CC by CPL holders in a school, why is there no allowance for concealed carry with permission? So, even if a school wanted to have some staff or even visitors conceal their pistol, it is prohibited unless the CCer is hired as security pursuant to a contract requiring the person to carry a concealed firearm.

In closing my little diatribe, I believe that the exemption for people who are not LEOs acting in the course of their employment violates the equal protection clause, much like California's "assault weapon" (sic) registration scheme exemption for retired LEOs was found to be unconstitutional on equal protection grounds. Having been a reserve officer, an exemption for individuals who are civilians with no police powers and no legal requirement for firearm training beyond the CPL is ripe for a legal challenge on equal protection grounds.

Raggs

Because we never know when an event will take place. But I think a better question is "Why not"? Why can a person with a CPL (or anyone else) be deemed OK to carry everywhere else but a few select places?
If we can, for the sake of the argument, accept the ban on CC by CPL holders in a school, why is there no allowance for concealed carry with permission? So, even if a school wanted to have some staff or even visitors conceal their pistol, it is prohibited unless the CCer is hired as security pursuant to a contract requiring the person to carry a concealed firearm.

I agree with this, and the others who said because if we don't know where or when an attack will happen. Some well thought out answers, thanks folks!

Hevymetal

Quite a while back when my son was a senior in high school and I had to stop in and drop money off in the office for him. The school staff was aware of the legality but none to shy about ignoring that fact. After being verbally pummeled and threatened. The question was posed to ne by school officials as to why I just don't leave it in the vehicle when coming into the school.

My response was:

I am legally responsible for my firearm. Leaving it in a car in the hopes that noone (student or other) messes with my older model ford would be unwise, illogical and even reckless on my part.

When it's legally holstered on my side I know EXACTLY where it is. There is 0% chance of anyone "child" or otherpersons illegally, accidently or inadvertently acquiring, playing with or discharging it.

I am stopping in for 3 minutes or less to drop off cash for my kids graduation expenses then leaving to go back to work. Do you want the cash or not?

After which I placed the cash on the counter. They took it, I grabbed my receipt and then left.

Raggs

Gotta love blind sheeple.

So everyone who asks a question about carry is a "sheeple"? Is that because they have the audacity to ask a question? The person who asked me the question originally is totally gun friendly. Lets be careful of painting everyone with a wide brush stroke.

Raggs

Raggs, get off my back. Let me have my own opinions, PLEASE! Do you have to argue every time I post ? Verbally pummeled and threatened is different than asking a question, no ? (Lets be careful of painting everyone with a wide brush stroke) You know what you can do with that statement.

?