Thread: Olympus $16 digital recorder

Olympus $16 digital recorder

I saw this refurb Olympus 2 GB digital recorder on groupon today for $16 on sale until 10/1. It has decent reviews on Amazon. There are many threads on here about using a recorder for encounters while open carrying a handgun. This could be an opportunity for those of us on a limited budget.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-olym...voice-recorder

I much prefer to have something that can record and store the data where a wrongdoer cant get it. Any smartphone can be setup to store a voice recording "in the cloud" and even if whoever is giving you grief smashes the phone the data is retrievable. With these pocket recorders id be worried that if there is incriminating data on it the wrongdoer will simply sieze it and dispose of the evidence!

For someone with nothing, good is good enough.

I have a phone that is way smarter than I will ever be. Much of that is because I have zero interest in learning how to do some of the tricks you mention.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Heads up on this one!

This model does not have any way to digitally transfer the audio file to a computer. It's "stuck" on the device. The only way to get it onto a computer is to use a line to line cable from the recorder's output to a computer sound card input. Not your best system.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    This model does not have any way to digitally transfer the audio file to a computer. It's "stuck" on the device. The only way to get it onto a computer is to use a line to line cable from the recorder's output to a computer sound card input. Not your best system.

TFred
    Still, on a tight budget, it's better than nothing. I gave one of those to one of our members a while back.