Thread: Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office: Pastor shot, killed during church service.

Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office: Pastor shot, killed during church service.

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) -A pastor was shot and killed during a church service on Friday night in Calcasieu. According to Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kim Myers, it happened around 8:20 p.m. at the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center at 307 Deshotel Lane in Lake Charles. Myers said Pastor Ronald J. Harris Sr. was shot "as he was preaching." Woodrow Karey, 53, of Lake Charles, is accused of walking into the church and shooting Harris. Myers said Harris, of Lake Charles, was pronounced dead at the scene. Karey fled on foot, Myers said, but called the Sheriff's Office and surrendered without incident."

http://www.kplctv.com/story/23554172...hurch-ceremony
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Very sad story... what does it have to do with open carrying a properly holstered handgun in Louisiana?

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Very sad story... what does it have to do with open carrying a properly holstered handgun in Louisiana?
    I only found this out the other day, but apparently crime reports are considered on-topic.

If the pastor had been properly armed (OC or CC), and practiced good SA... he might be alive. Seems relevant to me.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    If the pastor had been properly armed (OC or CC), and practiced good SA... he might be alive. Seems relevant to me.
    I would think that him carrying while giving a sermon may have issues with his religious beliefs. I know of no minister or priest that carries while giving mass.

Even in the worst of neighborhoods.

I know of no priests that carry .... except Dirty Father Harry

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I know of no minister or priest that carries while giving mass.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Your small world observation provides no information.

I would think that him carrying while giving a sermon may have issues with his religious beliefs. I know of no minister or priest that carries while giving mass.

i know a few pastors that carry and quite a few worshipers that carry that could have intervened

as far as belief goes, if you are a christian, Jesus told us to be armed.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    i know a few pastors that carry and quite a few worshipers that carry that could have intervened

as far as belief goes, if you are a christian, Jesus told us to be armed.
    This^^^

Count me among the armed worshipers, and I know of others (including one pastor) who are also always armed.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

In Louisiana you can't CC in a church unless you have a CHP, gotten permission of the leader or board for the church, gone through some sort of tactical shooting class which has not been defined by the State yet but apparently it's up to the church to decide what equals tactical training, renew that tactical training every year, the church leadership has to inform the membership that there are now church members packing heat and publish it so anyone not wanting to worship around those evil guns can object.
    Open Carry is apparently legal without jumping through all of the hoops but I don't personally know anyone who OCs at church.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Your small world observation provides no information.
    Only of my observations of course ....

And absence of evidence? What? You made no sense there ... a vacuum is something, right?

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Save the link and keep it for a "Why do you need a gun in a church?" questions.

A Nation of Cowards

Since our absolute, natural right of self defense comes from God/creator, that makes no sense at all, whatever your religion. I think it an act of abject cowardice not to be prepared to defend oneself and one's friends.

A Nation of Cowards http://jim.com/cowards.htm
    Although difficult for modern man to fathom, it was once widely believed that life was a gift from God, that to not defend that life when offered violence was to hold God's gift in contempt, to be a coward and to breach one's duty to one's community. A sermon given in Philadelphia in 1747 unequivocally equated the failure to defend oneself with suicide:

He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one that hath no
    authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense,
    incurs the Guilt of self murder since God hath enjoined him to seek
    the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature
    to defend itself.
    Last edited by MamaLiberty; 09-29-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-defense by Charl van Wyk, founder GOSA

Saint James Church massacre was a massacre perpetrated on St James Church in Kenilworth, Cape Town on 25 July 1993 by four cadres of the Azanian People's Liberation Army (APLA). 11 members of the congregation were killed and 58 wounded.

The attack occurred during the Sunday evening service. Sichumiso Nonxuba, Bassie Mkhumbuzi, Gcinikhaya Makoma and Tobela Mlambisa approached the church in a vehicle stolen by Mlambisa and Makoma beforehand. Nonxuba, who commanded the unit, and Makoma entered the church armed with M26 hand grenades and R4 assault rifles. They threw the grenades and then opened fire on the congregation, killing 11 and wounding 58.[2] One member of the congregation, Charl van Wyk, who wrote a book about the event (Shooting Back), returned fire with a .38 special revolver, wounding one of the attackers. At this point they fled the church. Mkhumbuzi had been ordered to throw four petrol bombs into the church following the shooting, but abandoned this intention as all four fled in the vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charl_van_Wyk

Charl van Wyk has been a gracious correspondent.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-29-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Only of my observations of course ....

And absence of evidence? What? You made no sense there ... a vacuum is something, right?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence

Maybe that will clear it up for you just a little.

Also, see: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Of course, if you've never seen Wikipedia before.........it probably doesn't exist, right?
    Last edited by Superlite27; 09-29-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sraacke View Post
    In Louisiana you can't CC in a church unless you have a CHP, gotten permission of the leader or board for the church, gone through some sort of tactical shooting class which has not been defined by the State yet but apparently it's up to the church to decide what equals tactical training, renew that tactical training every year, the church leadership has to inform the membership that there are now church members packing heat and publish it so anyone not wanting to worship around those evil guns can object.
    Open Carry is apparently legal without jumping through all of the hoops but I don't personally know anyone who OCs at church.
    And I thought it was bad in Ohio having to get a CHL and permission to carry in church. Wow. Just... wow.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sraacke View Post
    Keep in mind that by going into a church you're dealing with the naked "concealed handgun" of RS 40:1379.3, rather than the "intentional concealment" standard generally applicable under 14:95. You're under something like Bias (though with "carry and conceal") instead of Fluker.

There is a reliable way around that, but I can't talk about it on this forum.

Come to find out , if the pastor would have kept his "gun" holstered , he wouldn't have gotten shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterdave View Post
    Come to find out , if the pastor would have kept his "gun" holstered , he wouldn't have gotten shot.
    What??? Do you have a link you can post to clue the rest of us in on this new info?
    www.laopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterdave View Post
    I was expecting this. Most people that get shot in such a fashion aren't innocent.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

He's referring to his pecker steve... apparently he was caught with the shooter's wife according to an earlier post.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

AAaahhhh..... Thanks Speedy. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge. Say No More. Say No More.
    www.laopencarry.org