• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mob of bikers surround SUV and get run over in NYC

davidmcbeth

Banned
we don't know what happened before that. even if someone brake checks you, you're not allowed to run them over (last time i checked anyway)[/QUOo

While not technically "legal", various local cultures take a dim view on break checking .. almost insuring one who does it will have this behavior immediately addressed

Brake check at your own risk is my motto. I'm sure if you do it to a cop, he would write up up for something.

OC for ME

One car length (your car's length) for every 10 MPH of travel. I try to use 25 feet cuz my truck is just shy of 25 feet long, with HD trailer hitch installed. This is the thumb-rule I use to mitigate the possibility of rear-ending another motorist, it has yet to fail me when adhered to.

Freedom1Man

While not technically "legal", various local cultures take a dim view on break checking .. almost insuring one who does it will have this behavior immediately addressed

Brake check at your own risk is my motto. I'm sure if you do it to a cop, he would write up up for something.

If someone is braking too fast for you then you're following too close.

Brace

Most drivers are reactionary and don't plan ahead which was also obviously the case here. The driver had three solid seconds in which the motorcycle was too close, which a responsible, active driver would have used to back off. He didn't hit the brakes until he saw the motorcycle brake light, which is passive behavior. Even then he wasted at least as much time and energy hitting the horn as he did hitting the brakes. Really, a person paying attention would have braked when they noticed the motorcycle in the same lane as them. These are all standard driver behaviors. It's really completely horrifying how many utterly incompetent habits the typical driver has, and most will never notice or admit to it because they have so many other idiot drivers to back them up in their laughable understanding of things.

The following are things that almost every driver does that should disqualify them from even being able to drive on public roads:

* Reactionary braking/unsafe following
* Tailgating to "encourage people to speed up"
* Looking for an opening before they will even put their turn signal on (generally accompanied by loud complaining about how "nobody will let them in")
* Initiating a turn and signaling afterwards as a formality
* Camping in people's blind spots
* Accelerating into red lights or stopped traffic
* Never checking for pedestrians in a crosswalk/not looking where they're turning; failing to yield to pedestrians when they have the right of way
* Going around blind corners while cutting into the cross-traffic lane
* Using a horn as a way of saying "I don't like that" rather than as a way of warning of impending accident
* Treating the horn as the only means of accident avoidance during an accident situation
* Putting themselves in traffic situations that would be instantly lethal if literally anything went wrong (passing a semi on the right in heavy but fast moving traffic or on a mountain pass with no guardrail)

It all comes down to the average driver being incapable of planning while on the road. They zone out and drive passively and reactively and don't realize that the only thing even making this possible is that roads and cars are as idiot proofed and safety focused as possible by professional engineers. There's data showing that the safer a vehicle is, the more likely a person is to drive unsafely and get in an accident. By all rights it seems like more people get in accidents every year and fatalities only drop because airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones and traffic barriers keep improving and improving to protect people from the consequences of their own decisions. Almost every time I cross the street to go to the grocery store, a car almost runs me over because they're not looking at where they're turning. Some of them notice me but just don't care, they just expect me to get out of their way. Often times when the people who aren't paying attention notice me, they only slow down slightly in anticipation of me getting out of the way, and then as soon as they think they're good they jam on the accelerator again. Pedestrians don't have crumple zones and neither do motorcycles. Drivers don't care; the roads are literally designed to indulge them, as a consequence making them into spoiled self-absorbed brats, and so everyone that inconveniences them takes the blame for the driver's own lunatic behavior. I honestly think everyone should be forced to ride a motorcycle until the age of 25 just because it would aid in some desperately needed natural selection. The US is so car-centric that you need a car to function in this country even though the vast majority of people are simply cognitively incapable of safe and effective driving.

In conclusion BAN CARS

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Interesting how recent events have quieted the spokesperson for the motorcycle "victims" ...

*No charges have been placed against the SUV driver
*Several of the mob of motorcycle riders have been arrested
*At least one NYPD officer has been arrested for his participation in the incident

What a difference a few days makes, eh?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
A number of posters have not tried to drive safely in Chicago drive-time traffic. A vacant car-length for safety will be filled by an idiot.

This is true. I drove A LOT during my years in San Francisco, where it's much the same.

There's a sweet spot between being too close, and leaving room for every idiot in traffic to get in front of you, but it depends on proactive driving and having a lightweight car (with good brakes!) to occupy safely.

My biggest gripes are people driving vehicles overlarge for their skills (I promise you, it doesn't impress driving an Escalade when you can barely handle a Civic), and people who refuse to get out of the left lane, even when the right lane is clear.

As for brake checking, there's a difference between, on the one hand, a brake check, which is a brief application of brakes, accompanied by a brief but rapid period of deceleration, designed to get the attention of an oblivious tailgater, and executed in such a way that even a non-reactive tailgater won't actually hit you, and, on the other hand, changing lanes directly in front of another driver for the sole purpose of immediately engine-braking and forcing that driver to stop (or actually risk hitting you).

Having been rear-ended by a tailgater who didn't drive within his and his vehicle's limits, I learned that you must drive for such people as well. This may mean a (safe, properly-executed) brake check if they persist in causing a dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Brace

Interesting how recent events have quieted the spokesperson for the motorcycle "victims" ...

*No charges have been placed against the SUV driver
*Several of the mob of motorcycle riders have been arrested
*At least one NYPD officer has been arrested for his participation in the incident

What a difference a few days makes, eh?

Arrests and charges aren't convictions. It's already known that the motorcyclists have been convicted in the court of public opinion. I've been busy studying for my Calc 2 exam and I've lost interest in this case as it's too ambiguous and most people have made up their minds already.

Bernymac

Arrests and charges aren't convictions. It's already known that the motorcyclists have been convicted in the court of public opinion. I've been busy studying for my Calc 2 exam and I've lost interest in this case as it's too ambiguous and most people have made up their minds already.

Yup, the videos are way too ambiguous!!!These motorcycle riders who happen to be riding along with other motorcycle riders are "family men" who didn't want any trouble. They didn't do anything wrong, they were just having fun and totally misunderstood. The family man who used his helmet to bash in the SUV window is just trying to get the attention of the driver. The beatdown was really just a tap, the SUV criminal just insisted on running into fists and feet of the family men.

The SUV driver, of course, has already been tried and convicted by the "family men" and is just carrying out the execution in front of the wife and the kid.

Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!

:uhoh:

Last edited:

carolina guy

One of the best reasons to invest at least $20 in a good dash cam...the Russians are WAAAAAY ahead of us on this, and they have a lot more instances of behavior like in the videos. Having driven there, I wished I had a cam on a couple occasions. ;)

carolina guy

Most drivers are reactionary and don't plan ahead which was also obviously the case here. The driver had three solid seconds in which the motorcycle was too close, which a responsible, active driver would have used to back off. He didn't hit the brakes until he saw the motorcycle brake light, which is passive behavior. Even then he wasted at least as much time and energy hitting the horn as he did hitting the brakes. Really, a person paying attention would have braked when they noticed the motorcycle in the same lane as them. These are all standard driver behaviors. It's really completely horrifying how many utterly incompetent habits the typical driver has, and most will never notice or admit to it because they have so many other idiot drivers to back them up in their laughable understanding of things.

The following are things that almost every driver does that should disqualify them from even being able to drive on public roads:

* Reactionary braking/unsafe following
* Tailgating to "encourage people to speed up"
* Looking for an opening before they will even put their turn signal on (generally accompanied by loud complaining about how "nobody will let them in")
* Initiating a turn and signaling afterwards as a formality
* Camping in people's blind spots
* Accelerating into red lights or stopped traffic
* Never checking for pedestrians in a crosswalk/not looking where they're turning; failing to yield to pedestrians when they have the right of way
* Going around blind corners while cutting into the cross-traffic lane
* Using a horn as a way of saying "I don't like that" rather than as a way of warning of impending accident
* Treating the horn as the only means of accident avoidance during an accident situation
* Putting themselves in traffic situations that would be instantly lethal if literally anything went wrong (passing a semi on the right in heavy but fast moving traffic or on a mountain pass with no guardrail)

It all comes down to the average driver being incapable of planning while on the road. They zone out and drive passively and reactively and don't realize that the only thing even making this possible is that roads and cars are as idiot proofed and safety focused as possible by professional engineers. There's data showing that the safer a vehicle is, the more likely a person is to drive unsafely and get in an accident. By all rights it seems like more people get in accidents every year and fatalities only drop because airbags and seatbelts and crumple zones and traffic barriers keep improving and improving to protect people from the consequences of their own decisions. Almost every time I cross the street to go to the grocery store, a car almost runs me over because they're not looking at where they're turning. Some of them notice me but just don't care, they just expect me to get out of their way. Often times when the people who aren't paying attention notice me, they only slow down slightly in anticipation of me getting out of the way, and then as soon as they think they're good they jam on the accelerator again. Pedestrians don't have crumple zones and neither do motorcycles. Drivers don't care; the roads are literally designed to indulge them, as a consequence making them into spoiled self-absorbed brats, and so everyone that inconveniences them takes the blame for the driver's own lunatic behavior. I honestly think everyone should be forced to ride a motorcycle until the age of 25 just because it would aid in some desperately needed natural selection. The US is so car-centric that you need a car to function in this country even though the vast majority of people are simply cognitively incapable of safe and effective driving.

In conclusion BAN CARS

Do we know that the driver was not distracted by other motorcycles circling his vehicle at that moment and prior to it?

HandyHamlet

Good point.

if you pull directly in front of someone and come to a hard stop, it's your fault when they hit you. Period.

Absolutely. Too bad that's not what the video shows. As we all can clearly see. The Squid did not come to a stop. Not even close. Not till after he was tagged. And this certainly was NOT some high speed altercation where the SUV idiot had no chance of slowing down.

How about less dramatics and a little honesty in this thread for a change?

Something happened between the Squid and the SUV. Only they know what happened. Road rage between two parties that escalated immediately when the SUV decided to mow people over. Twice.

But then again, this thread is not about honesty or facts. This is grown men fantasizing about running and gunning people down. And yet the Libtards are supposedly the scary ones.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Absolutely. Too bad that's not what the video shows. As we all can clearly see. The Squid did not come to a stop. Not even close. Not till after he was tagged.

Can you even see how circular this is? You're right, they didn't have time to come to a stop before the collision occurred. If they did, there couldn't have been a collision at all. Perhaps I should have said "attempt to come to a hard stop", but I think it's fairly evident what I meant.

And this certainly was NOT some high speed altercation where the SUV idiot had no chance of slowing down.

So, your position is that the "bump" was the SUV driver's fault? :lol:

Good one.

How about less dramatics and a little honesty in this thread for a change?

:rolleyes:

Speaking of dramatics:

Road rage between two parties that escalated immediately when the SUV decided to mow people over. Twice.

Is that what the video shows? :rolleyes:

But then again, this thread is not about honesty or facts.

You're right. Apparently, it's about supposing scenarios without any supporting evidence (prior incidents and "road rage").

This is grown men fantasizing about running and gunning people down. And yet the Libtards are supposedly the scary ones.

So, what, you resort to simple trolling?

Have another: :rolleyes:

Last edited: