• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florence Walmart

Buttonc22

well today i had my first confrontation to day about open carry. I walked into Walmart to return something. i was standing in line at the customer service line when the Greeter came up to me and asked if it was a real gun. I proceed to tell him it was and at that point he told me i needed a permit and i need to leave. I told him i was open carrying so i didn't. Next he told me i needed to follow him we were going to talk to a manager, i said ok and we went and found two CSM's. When we found them, i told them i was open carrying and they told them him i was fine and went i on my way.

ps1mhd

On your way out did you see someone coming in OC w/ spare mags and a 1911?
I was there today and passed someone OCing going out as I was going in.
Couldn't tell maybe a Glock?
I am there all the time without a word said by workers.
In the parking lot someone said to the group he was with "Oh look there ( talking about me) you see its legal to open carry in Kentucky" and something else I couldn't hear all sounded positive.

Mike

Buttonc22

On your way out did you see someone coming in OC w/ spare mags and a 1911?
I was there today and passed someone OCing going out as I was going in.
Couldn't tell maybe a Glock?
I am there all the time without a word said by workers.
In the parking lot someone said to the group he was with "Oh look there ( talking about me) you see its legal to open carry in Kentucky" and something else I couldn't hear all sounded positive.

Mike

Yea i saw you and that was me. I went back later and that is when i had problems

Christian

neuroblades

I've noticed a running theme with Wal Mart and issue with those of us that OC, when there is an issue. It seems that most of these "encounters" are due to greeters trying to act as Police for WM.

Last edited:

self preservation

well today i had my first confrontation to day about open carry. I walked into Walmart to return something. i was standing in line at the customer service line when the Greeter came up to me and asked if it was a real gun. I proceed to tell him it was and at that point he told me i needed a permit and i need to leave. I told him i was open carrying so i didn't. Next he told me i needed to follow him we were going to talk to a manager, i said ok and we went and found two CSM's. When we found them, i told them i was open carrying and they told them him i was fine and went i on my way.

Not so sure that I would have honored this request. Did you have a recorder running? Did you get his name?

Last edited:

Buttonc22

Not so sure that I would have honored this request. Did you have a recorder running? Did you get his name?[/QUOTE

He was fairly old so to not make a bigger deal than it was i followed him, and i forgot to get his name but i have seen him there any times so i will get it next time i see him.

rs3604

i just started to OC and have wondered about these things.was in wal-mart in somerset the other day and saw a guy OCing a C9 and yesterday I went in and the lady in sporting looked right at the gun and said nothing and i don't think anyone else even noticed. Seems a lot of people in KY OC but down my way I don't really ever see it. the guy in wally world was the first time in the 8 months I've lived here that i saw someone OC.

rs3604

That is some good points gutshot,I have often thought of the replies i would use if asked those kinds of questions.

Maverick9

A greeter, I thought, was an extremely low level employee, basically a 'gift' to the elderly or retired people that Walmart employs. Might be worth finding out if they 'represent' the store, can give out a 'you're trespassing' notice or what.

Yeah, OP, I'd be interested in any info you find out on this person, not because I care about the individual, but what it is that is giving them this level of empowerment such that they think they can tell a paying customer to obey them. They're not like Loss Management individuals who are security and can do this (I think).

Glad you got it straightened out. I think I'd still contact Walmart Corporate and let them know this guy was acting like a policeman and basically threatening you without cause or color of law.

self preservation

A greeter, I thought, was an extremely low level employee, basically a 'gift' to the elderly or retired people that Walmart employs. Might be worth finding out if they 'represent' the store, can give out a 'you're trespassing' notice or what.

Yeah, OP, I'd be interested in any info you find out on this person, not because I care about the individual, but what it is that is giving them this level of empowerment such that they think they can tell a paying customer to obey them. They're not like Loss Management individuals who are security and can do this (I think).

Glad you got it straightened out. I think I'd still contact Walmart Corporate and let them know this guy was acting like a policeman and basically threatening you without cause or color of law.

I think's that you be think'n all wrong! I don't know of any Law Enforcement agency that can legally detain you and order you to follow their orders just because they say so.....so I don't believe just because a person is a Wal-Mart "detective" that they could do it either. Now, if you're asked to leave that's a diferent story. But as far as a Wal-Mart employee coming to me and saying "you need to follow me or else", I'll take my chances with the "or else." As far as where people like this greeter get's their empowerment....the same place that a lot of LEO's get theirs from...from compliant folks who don't question their authority and just do what their told.

Maverick9

I think's that you be think'n all wrong! I don't know of any Law Enforcement agency that can legally detain you and order you to follow their orders just because they say so.....so I don't believe just because a person is a Wal-Mart "detective" that they could do it either. Now, if you're asked to leave that's a diferent story. But as far as a Wal-Mart employee coming to me and saying "you need to follow me or else", I'll take my chances with the "or else." As far as where people like this greeter get's their empowerment....the same place that a lot of LEO's get theirs from...from compliant folks who don't question their authority and just do what their told.

And, you'd be a readin' my reply wrong. I didn't say 'legally'. I think Walmart used to allow their loss management folks to SAY that (follow me). But a greeter? No way.

self preservation

And, you'd be a readin' my reply wrong. I didn't say 'legally'. I think Walmart used to allow their loss management folks to SAY that (follow me). But a greeter? No way.

I see. You are talking about what the company allows. Company rules. Company policy. Personally, I don't care what Wal-Mart allows their folks to say. Be it a part time janitor or Sam Walton himself. If I have done nothing wrong and the law is not on their side they will only get hurt feelings from me.

Maverick9

I see. You are talking about what the company allows. Company rules. Company policy. Personally, I don't care what Wal-Mart allows their folks to say. Be it a part time janitor or Sam Walton himself. If I have done nothing wrong and the law is not on their side they will only get hurt feelings from me.

Yeah, me too. I'd just tell them to get lost, but maybe in a more gracious way.