• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search due to nearby criminal activity

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Skidmark... your fake quote cloud will not give you license to argue facts of law that are not HERE.

The report should have read: "The search incident to arrest turned up a piece of paper that had a white powdery substance similar in appearance to heroin, which was seized for analysis to determine if additional charges would/could be filed."

The cop did a Terry pat down,,, in his own words.
He can not dig in pockets to find other things.

The suspect was not ID'd,,, Yet!

I am dissapointed in your understanding of Terry.
Walking with my head tucked into my shoulder to hide my identity
may make a cop suspicious that I may be up to no good, but
that is a long way from the Reasonable Articulible Suspicion,
that I have committed a "Specific Crime",
am committing it,
or will commit it, pretty soon, or in the future...

BTW, Anybody tell me, regardless of the other points of law in this case.
Besides the other things that may have been illegally found in this guys pockets...

Did the cops, or anyone else ever find the one thing that counted??
The "Robbed"! TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How the h**l did I get that completely bass akwards?

I've been going alomg with my head telling me that the guy was accused by the gas station folks of being the robber. Thus the obstinancy of what I have been posting.

I'm going to think up an alibi for that. Might take me a while.

In the mean time, when I get the stiry screwed up would someone please tell me in no uncertain terms that while I may have a point of law correct it does noot apply to the facts.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No such critter as a stupid question.

stay safe.

:uhoh:"why don't you just pay the $50.00 for a permit?":uhoh:

What we really need to do is quantify the degree of stupidity:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...ron-imbecile-and-idiot-mean-different-things/

the words moron, imbecile, and idiot mean different things. In psychology, an idiot has the least intelligence on the IQ scale (this now is equivalent to someone who is mentally retarded or the more politically correct “mentally challenged”); an imbecile is not quite as dumb as an idiot and is now considered equivalent to moderate retardation; a moron is then the highest level of intelligence for someone who is mentally retarded, thus considered as being mildly mentally retarded.

Having "the stupidz" has nothing to do with IQ score, although often the term we use to describe someone with "the stupidz" does reference IQ score - or the lack thereof.

not intelligent : having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things
: not sensible or logical
: not able to think normally
Full Definition of STUPID
a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting

Or as someone once said, "not able to pour pee out of a boot if the directions were written on the heel."

There are stupid questions. There are also stupid answers. Occassionally they match up in perfect harmony. But not often.

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was talking to my wife about the whole permit thing and she asked, "Why don't you get a permit, just in case the cops talk to you?"

Put it in terms she can understand. The purpose of make-up is to disguise, to any degree, the appearance of one's face. There is a government interest for security that people do not intentionally disguise their faces! Before one possesses the means to do so, they should have to go through a permitting process, be fingerprinted, and carry around official approval. Now, where is her lipstick permit?

ron73440

Put it in terms she can understand. The purpose of make-up is to disguise, to any degree, the appearance of one's face. There is a government interest for security that people do not intentionally disguise their faces! Before one possesses the means to do so, they should have to go through a permitting process, be fingerprinted, and carry around official approval. Now, where is her lipstick permit?

It's been resolved, she doesn't understand, but she supports me.

I was just giving an example of a stupid question.

OC for ME

Uh, a question by its very nature cannot be "stupid."

The source of the question submitted, and subsequently, the source of the answer to the question submitted may then be subject to a subjective classification of intellectual ability.

There is no such critter as a stupid question.

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It's been resolved, she doesn't understand, but she supports me.

I was just giving an example of a stupid question.

Figured, I was also putting it out there for an analogy in many other similar situations.