• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop shoots at man for trying to hand over his drivers license

Brace

I'm surprised by the swiftness and magnitude of the police department's response. I also want to know what driver's ed class teaches people to get out of their car, because whoever instructs it should be fired as well.

FreeInAZ

When people get pulled over, many get nervious. The citizen pulled a bone head move no doubt. However- if you're a peace officer you have to have some common sense. The officer had the radio in his car (talk show turned up very loud). This may of made his commands confusing to the driver, maybe even obscurring them completety. I speculate this stupid officer assumed the stop would go like this: I pull over driver with radio loud enough so I don't miss my show. Walk up - grab license, proof of insurance, registration then stroll back to cruiser continue to sip coffe, munch on donut, tweet about stuff to his buddies, take sweet time 15-20+ minutes writing ticket while listening to his talk show. Sweet.

He got surprised - his reaction - shoot first - think later....

In every job there are nit wits. Luckily this EX officer didn't kill the driver for disobeying a traffic signal. :eek:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

don't blame the cop one bit

Really? Wow - let's say you're walking the dog/cat/alligator one evening (pre-dusk - have lots of light) a guy walking towards you puts his hand in his pocket. You draw and fire! Turns out he was getting his wallet that has a address in it he's trying to find. You think you're only going to get off with losing your job? Doubt it, most likely be charged with attempted murder!

Last edited:

7om5hipp

I see both at fault, granted the cop is at worse fault for firing without clear reason. The driver should never have gotten out of his truck and approached the officer; the officer is already nervous because he has pulled someone over and has no idea if the person is the type to attack. So when you see a person exit the vehicle and approach while reaching to your pocket he will react. Should he have fired, no. The most he should have done was draw his weapon and have the person stop. At least that is what I would have done, or rather like to think I would have done. What would you have done, there is the possibility that something could happen and you are suddenly faced with someone walking towards you with his or her hand going to their pants.

As for the sniff and peek, why be worried if you are not doing anything illegal. That is my thought on the matter, so long as I have nothing to hide there is no reason for them to search my vehicle and if they do so without my consent my kids will have their college paid for.

FreeInAZ

@7o. Would you let a cop walk up and start fondling your wife's boobs? No? Why not? If she's not hiding stuff between them, why should you or her care? :cool:

Point is - this is still the U.S.A. and citizen's should be free to go about their lives without worrying about illegal searches.

Last edited:

notalawyer

Only watched the video, did nor read any of the supporting information.

But I'm going to say that the Cop had an ND and is trying to cover his incompetence by saying he intentionally fired at the driver.

Am I right?

BTW, good termination. I would not trust that officer on my department whether he is incompetent then lies about it or simply overreacts.

XD40sc

He's probably working as a thug cop on some small town force today.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Exiting and securing your vehicle prevents extra-legal sniff and peek searches.

Yup. This is, IMO, the real reason cops hate drivers getting out. (It's not like being a cop is actually half as dangerous a job as they pretend.)

I've always been afraid the wrong cop would shoot you for trying this. Now we know. :banghead:

onus

Police in America today have taken the position that every single person is out to kill them and that police can shoot to kill when there is not a single indication of danger.

Unfortunately prosecutors and judges and juries have permitted this.

This cop should be fired and then sent to jail. He should also be charged with an additional misdemeanor for missing a stationary target at 10 feet.

ScottFree

Police in America today have taken the position that every single person is out to kill them and that police can shoot to kill when there is not a single indication of danger.

Unfortunately prosecutors and judges and juries have permitted this.

This cop should be fired and then sent to jail. He should also be charged with an additional misdemeanor for missing a stationary target at 10 feet.

That last bit made me lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

--snipped--
Gross over generalization.

This thread has some indications of LEO bashing - we don't need to go there.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gross over generalization.

This thread has some indications of LEO bashing - we don't need to go there.

Maybe soon we may have documented enough to make such a generalization appropriate?

With this particular cop, it seems on the button and he is not under arrest; leading me to the conclusion that the PD in this instance seems not to mind the actions of this guy inappropriate.

It it were you or me, we would be seeing a judge real soon for a bond hearing, right?

eye95

I recommend looking again. Every jurisdiction I have looked for it, I have found a crime you would be committing if you fail to follow the lawful orders of a police officer who has lawfully detained you. It could be as obvious as "failure to follow a lawful order" or less obvious as "obstruction," but I'd bet money that the law is there.

You will get zero sympathy from me if you run afoul of such a law if you break it simply because you cannot find it.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have made thousands of traffic stops and have had hundreds of drivers get out of the vehicles and start coming back towards the cruiser.

I never shot one and only drew my weapon on a few that were acting very suspicious. Or I had some other reason to believe that the driver might be dangerous

I didn't see any thing in the dash cam footage that said shoot.

As some stated I also think maybe he had an unintentional discharge and tried to cover it up.

If he did shoot on purpose I would like to know why.

Any ways he really messed up.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You will get zero sympathy from me if you run afoul of such a law if you break it simply because you cannot find it.

eye95 espouses yet another form of apologia for the state: the morally bankrupt (and logically absurd) maxim "ignorance of the law is no excuse".