• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop shoots at man for trying to hand over his drivers license

davidmcbeth

Banned
You pay for your stupidity by either getting a ticket, or if you tell the officer where your papers are, by getting ordered out of the vehicle and, when you open your trunk, by giving the officer a free peek into your trunk.

BTW, this is the first of your bluster that I have ever believed. Why? Because it would be a stupid thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

You're stupid. I have a blanket that covers all but those papers. Cop will get a sneak peek at my blanket. Went to look under my blanket? Hope you like broken fingers ! (trunk slam)

Firearms Iinstuctor

Over the years I stopped several drivers who have had their Driver license in their baggage in the trunk. Put me a little more on alert when the driver retrieved them.

Allowed me a look into their trunk and as they dug through their baggage to get them.

I ran into people like David all the time who thought they were smarter then I, most of the time it didn't work out to well for them. There is always very legal and ethical ways of dealing with them.

If I had a legal reason to reach into the trunk because of something I saw and he would slam the trunk on my hand or arm off to jail he would go.

Last edited:

OC for ME

The question asked remains unanswered it seems. Is there a law, in any state, that prohibits a citizen from exiting their vehicle when lawfully (presumed) stopped by a cop? Ordering the citizen to get back into their car, by the cop, must be supported by statute to constitute a lawful order I would think[SUP][SUB]1[/SUB][/SUP].

[SUP]1[/SUP]Might beat the rap but not the ride, or being shot for that matter.

eye95

Over the years I stopped several drivers who have had their Driver license in their baggage in the trunk. Put me a little more on alert when the driver retrieved them.

Allowed me a look into their trunk and as they dug through their baggage to get them.

I ran into people like David all the time who thought they were smarter then I, most of the time it didn't work out to well for them. There is always very legal and ethical ways of dealing with them.

If I had a legal reason to reach into the trunk because of something I saw and he would slam the trunk on my hand or arm off to jail he would go.

That guy needs a dose of reality. However, I don't believe he'd do anything like that, except in his imagination while still in his mom's basement.

eye95

The question asked remains unanswered it seems. Is there a law, in any state, that prohibits a citizen from exiting their vehicle when lawfully (presumed) stopped by a cop? Ordering the citizen to get back into their car, by the cop, must be supported by statute to constitute a lawful order I would think...

I know of no such law. Just common sense. Whenever I have been stopped (every time because I did something wrong, so every stop was legitimate), by the time the cop got to my window, it was down, my hands were on the top of the wheel, in plain view, and my license and insurance were already in my hands. I have never gotten a ticket.

When the cop is doing his job, and I have actually done something wrong, I react entirely differently than when I have done nothing wrong, and the cop is overstepping his bounds.

Kopis

this sucks, but why the hell would a driver get out of a car and approach an officer? ive been told since i was like 3 to not approach an officer ever during a stop. Roll your windows down, take the key out and put the interior lights on, sit with your hands on the wheel and advise the officer of any moves you are going to make like get an insurance card or wallet.

DocWalker

this sucks, but why the hell would a driver get out of a car and approach an officer? ive been told since i was like 3 to not approach an officer ever during a stop. Roll your windows down, take the key out and put the interior lights on, sit with your hands on the wheel and advise the officer of any moves you are going to make like get an insurance card or wallet.

Good to see our public school system is training people to be good little surfs...

That being said I had a friend get pulled over for swerving, when he stopped he jumped out of his car. The cop yelled at him to get back into his car and he refused. It turns out a wasp or bee flew into his opened window(while the cop was behind him) and he swerved a little trying to get away from it; his is deathly allergic to bee's and has a perscribed sting kit. Once the cop learned what happened the cop helped him by clearing his car of the bee and he let him go. My friend was thankful and the cop got a laugh but a different cop might have shot him....my friend not the bee.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good to see our public school system is training people to be good little surfs...

That being said I had a friend get pulled over for swerving, when he stopped he jumped out of his car. The cop yelled at him to get back into his car and he refused. It turns out a wasp or bee flew into his opened window(while the cop was behind him) and he swerved a little trying to get away from it; his is deathly allergic to bee's and has a perscribed sting kit. Once the cop learned what happened the cop helped him by clearing his car of the bee and he let him go. My friend was thankful and the cop got a laugh but a different cop might have shot him....my friend not the bee.
Many years ago when I was a teenager, we were headed for the beach when my dad started beating at the front of his shorts - he thought a hot ember from his pipe had landed there.

Nope - was a wasp that apparently had bounced off of the side mirror, flew up the leg of his shorts and stung him THERE :eek:

My dad spent the first couple of days just sitting in the cool salt water and walking very carefully :uhoh: