• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where do you draw the line?

Gil223

You and I seem to be on the same page about ownership of anything, practical or not, as long as we do not violate another's Rights (i.e.: blasting speakers late at night). So I retract what I said, as I obviously misunderstood where you were headed, and seem to have completely missed the second part of the last sentence in the post I originally responded to. If you believe I am not being sincere, please follow the link I provided for the OP, and consider the fact that I would buy at least one of these if I had the money:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/3...-military-vehicles-to-aid-hunt-for-criminals/ (plus, it makes for a great conversation starter:))
I don't doubt your sincerity at all, but I followed the link anyway out of curiosity. I have to laugh at the way these departments justify the acquisition of MRAPS,
The Observer writes the sheriff’s office will now use it to serve warrants on wanted men.
and Davis County Utah also acquired one in the past year. WARRANT SERVICE?? A knock on the door, and a posse of LEOs has been all that was needed for the last couple of hundred years, but suddenly we need a heavily armored vehicle? And, why is the federal government so quick to give up a $535,000 - $600,000+ fighting vehicle for only the transportation costs? (I seem to recall hearing somewhere that this program is being run though the DHS - which immediately makes it suspect in my mind) Even at an average cost of $5,560 a LEA can buy enough portable ballistic shields (which incur no additional operational, maintenance or repair costs) to outfit 10 "warrant serving" officers for roughly the same cost as the transportation cost of the (otherwise "free") 14-ton MRAP.

Sheriff, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, and don't tell me a warrant needs an armored vehicle in order to be properly served. Bounty hunters don't have MRAPS... if it weren't for the fact that it would be very difficult to maintain the necessary "element of surprise", bounty hunters and "Bail Enforcement Officers" (2¢ difference?) would probably LOVE to have an MRAP! The MRAPs are on loan to civilian LEA's in preparation for that ambiguous "tomorrow". Pax...

rushcreek2

Any holstered handgun can be CONCEALED, or DISPLAYED depending upon the perspective of OTHER persons in proximity.

More specifically expressed - I "display" if you will, when , and wherever I deem it to be appropriate. Generally, I choose where I go - WHEN I go there - and to what extent my holstered handgun is going to displayed depending upon the conditions.

If I don't want you to see my holstered handgun - you won't. If ...I do - you WILL.

That is the tactical advantage of carrying a handgun.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
(snip) suddenly we need a heavily armored vehicle? And, why is the federal government so quick to give up a $535,000 - $600,000+ fighting vehicle for only the transportation costs? (I seem to recall hearing somewhere that this program is being run though the DHS - which immediately makes it suspect in my mind) Even at an average cost of $5,560 a LEA can buy enough portable ballistic shields (which incur no additional operational, maintenance or repair costs) to outfit 10 "warrant serving" officers for roughly the same cost as the transportation cost of the (otherwise "free") 14-ton MRAP.

Sheriff, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, and don't tell me a warrant needs an armored vehicle in order to be properly served. Bounty hunters don't have MRAPS... if it weren't for the fact that it would be very difficult to maintain the necessary "element of surprise", bounty hunters and "Bail Enforcement Officers" (2¢ difference?) would probably LOVE to have an MRAP! The MRAPs are on loan to civilian LEA's in preparation for that ambiguous "tomorrow". Pax...

The programs supplying these items to local PDs have been prolific. "The Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO), the agency that oversees the Pentagon giveaways, boasted that fiscal year 2011 was the most productive in its history . . ." They deployed $500 million worth of property in 2011, which is "several hundred million dollars" more than previous years. And the department's stated goal is to keep increasing that number.*

Ostensibly it's all for the "war on drugs" of course. . . .

* - Rise of the Warrior Cop - Radley Balko, 2013

stealthyeliminator

I am developing my opinions on open carry and have already learned a lot but need a clearer picture on some things. One of the things I've found in the past when developing a position on an issue, is to test the boundaries. It may seem fruitless to some to have an extreme or hypothetical example, but I believe it helps draw the line and reveal the root issues when we can express our opinion on an extreme example or one with complicating factors.

I agree.

I am pro-OC, but have been thinking about to what extreme I would take that, and figured that many of you who developed your opinions long ago would have something to offer in this regard. I have listed some specific OC issues below that I am considering and would appreciate your opinion on.

I'll be glad to give you my opinion - and I won't even call you a troll for asking.

NOTE: Some of the things listed below are illegal in various jurisdictions. But that is not the debate angle I am looking for. I'm looking to find out what you think should ideally be legal in your opinion. I say this to avoid responses like this: "Dude, if you are going to OC [in such-and-so way/place] you are going to go to jail." I'm not wanting to discuss the current legal situation, but more your personal worldview on what you think should be legal ideally.

I believe I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

What type of pistol?
It's probably safe to say all of us (except the trolls) are in favor of the right to OC a pistol. How far would you take that? Would you be okay with someone OCing an AK-47 pistol slung over the shoulder or in a scabbard? (Think Embody.) Why or why not?

Yes, I would, as long as it was carried in a manner that doesn't pose an immediate threat to me other others around the carrier I don't care what they carry. I believe that essentially the only justification one can have for intervening with another's actions is when the actor is infringing on an equally applied right of another individual. Unless you're doing something that threatens me, my life, my liberty, etc. then I do not have any moral grounds on which to justify stopping you from doing whatever it is that you're doing. That can be carrying a knife, carrying a gun, carrying a hand grenade, wearing lipstick, walking like a duck, quacking like a duck, kissing another man, giving yourself a wedgie, etc. It may be morally reprehensible, but it doesn't justify me intervening.

What locations?
I've seen many on this forum say that they believe in no restrictions on where you can carry. How far would you take that? Would you be okay with someone OCing in federal court? What about to the White House as a visitor? Why? Is there any place you can think of that you think should be banned? Why?

Back to the rights issue - anyone with private property, or anyone legitimately put in control of a private property, can make their own rules, and any visitors have a moral obligation to follow those rules or leave. So, basically, no restrictions "in public," but on private property, whatever restrictions the property owner comes up with are legitimate. If they say no guns what-so-ever, and you've been made known of the rules, you have a moral obligation to refrain from carrying a gun onto their property. This isn't principle that can carry over to so called "public property" when the acquisition of the property was illegitimate. It doesn't actually belong to "the public", it belongs to the poor sap that the government stole it from. So, the government does not own public property, and cannot legitimately make rules for it as a private property own could legitimately do on their own property.

What type of long gun (for states that don't allow OC of a pistol)?
OCDO doesn't allow discussion of long gun OC except in states where pistol OC is illegal. In regards to those states, is there a place you would draw the line as far as firearm type? What about carrying fully automatic rifles in public? Why?

No restrictions on fire mode, because me carrying a fully automatic weapon in a safe manner doesn't legitimately threaten you any more than a simi automatic rifle, or a fully automatic pistol, or a simi automatic pistol, or a single action pistol, or a rubber band pistol. Unless I threaten you with it, you don't have any right to intervene with my carrying, and if I do threaten you with it then you have every right to intervene no matter what type of weapon it is.

Ownership of large arms
Should the average citizen be allowed to own a shoulder mounted missile launcher? Should they be allowed to carry it in public? (LOL.) Why?

Yes. Because the principles on which intervention and use of force are founded offer no justification for the intervention against someone carrying such a weapon as long as they are not actively threatening someone with it and are transporting it in a safe manner which does not put those around the carrier at risk.

Mixing it up
Say I get a traffic ticket and have to go to court for it. Would you be okay with me carrying a AK-47 pistol slung over my shoulder in court? Should a citizen be allowed to own a tank and drive it down the road through town? If the president is in town and will be walking from his limo into a hotel, should a person have the legal right to place themselves on top of the roof of a nearby building OCing as long as they are not actually aiming a gun at the president? (Oh great, now I've flagged the NSA.) In this instance, is the citizen innocent until proven guilty, or should the Secret Service have the right to ban them from going armed on top of a nearby building? NOTE: I am not advocating that anyone do such a thing nor am I planning any such thing. I am asking because I am trying to develop an opinion on where the boundaries between personal rights and government control should be drawn.

In these sort of hypothetical situations, more changes from the current state of things are needed than just what is being discussed, in order for the changes being discussed to make sense.

Instead of giving an incomplete answer in order to remain brief, I will decline to answer these questions right now.

Much could be said on this subject - and much has been said on this subject. But the best answers are those contained in entire books on the subject of liberty and individual rights. It's not easy to condense those concepts down into a forum-sized post. At least, not for me.

I will say that, I think things go much deeper than gun rights. I don't advocate gun rights so that I can carry a gun. I advocate gun rights because it's liberty. Liberty is the goal, and private ownership and bearing of arms is the best method we have to ensure our liberty. Maybe someday that won't be the case. Maybe someday we can minimize the threat to liberty without having to even own a firearm. But, I don't think that time has come. And so, we fight for gun rights because we fight for liberty. Gun rights are essential to the protection of all liberty.

I realize that many here will react to this post emotionally and assume that I am trolling, a spy for the gun haters, etc. That is not the case. These are the questions that are dancing around in my head and I am trying to make sense of them. The reason I chose to put them here, is because I have seen some very intelligent and articulate advocates of freedom on this forum who may be able to help me make some sense of some of these blurry lines. Thanks.

I am glad you asked. Hopefully my answers are at least a little bit helpful. If nothing else, maybe some food for thought.

independence

stealthyeliminator,

Your post was very helpful. Thank you. I appreciate the detail very much.

I think I'm starting to see the issue of what arms should be allowed to be possessed or carried more clearly, so thanks.

At first, I was confused by your opinions on public/private property. Seeing your avatar, I did a little research on the views of anarchists on this subject and educated myself enough to understand your points better.

All in all, I would say that this thread was educational for me and I thank everyone. I still have some questions but I have a lot less questions thank I did and for that I thank you.

-independence

since9

Campaign Veteran
Where we draw the line should be a personal thing. In other words, I have full authority to draw my own lines, but limited or no authority with respect to the lines of another.

My lines are thus: OC everywhere it's legal to do so AND doing so won't cause undo concern for others. In other words, just because it's my right to OC to a play at the fine arts center doesn't mean that it's beneficial for me to do so. In other words, I respect the expectations of others to enjoy the performance without being distracted by or worried about why some guy is carrying a firearm. In times like that, I CC.

stealthyeliminator

I think it's awesome that you took the initiative to research my views further - that's really cool. Do be careful researching "anarchism" though because "anarchism" can cover a very wide spectrum. As far as the "left" and "right" are, within anarchism there could be said to be a scale at least that large. Some "anarchists" would even reject that my view qualifies as anarchism. Libertarianism is certainly a term I'd associate with, but again, within libertarianism there is room for differing views, and I would sit in the group that advocates for the eventual abolishment of traditional governmental entities - hence where the self-association with anarchism comes from. I'm glad you found my post helpful. I wish you well in your search for the truth of the matter.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
1. What a clever idea - the decorative tank...much better than a lawn jockey. ......

2. You cannot buy one at the Dollar Tree, or even WalMart, and there is no "Tanks-R-Us" retail chain.................

3. [/B]The only place a tank is practical is the battlefield,

At this point in time there is no practical need for tanks, or other war-specific weapons in the hands of Joe Average. But, tomorrow... who knows. :rolleyes: Pax...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIMLER-FER...c12868&item=200970152040&pt=Military_Vehicles
1962 DAIMLER FERRET SCOUT CAR MK 1/2 - STREET LEGAL & TITLED- RUNS GOOD

1. I think so too. How about a small "tank"

2. You can get tanks, personnel carriers, and quite a few other armored vehicles on the good ole' internet.

3. I think they go well anywhere. There is no practical need for that Rhino revolver either, but I want one.

Gil223

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIMLER-FER...c12868&item=200970152040&pt=Military_Vehicles

1. I think so too. How about a small "tank" (Something like a 1952 Hudson Hornet?)

2. You can get tanks, personnel carriers, and quite a few other armored vehicles on the good ole' internet. (I made the mistake of buying a motorcycle off the internet once - I will never do that again unless I can inspect it prior to purchase)

3. I think they go well anywhere. There is no practical need for that Rhino revolver either, but I want one.
(The only practical purpose for a Chiappa Rhino would be taking top prize in a "Fugliest Gun" contest. I thought the only person that would buy a Rhino would be Stevie Wonder. It is undoubtedly the ugliest handgun ever produced... followed closely by the impractical, yet amazingly ugly, "Double Tap" pistol. Both guns must have been designed by out of work designers of women's shoes!) Pax...

P.S. The Daimler is cute... but cute won't get you repair parts at the Auto Zone or O'Reilly's, and Daimler dealers are few and far between.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

(The only practical purpose for a Chiappa Rhino would be taking top prize in a "Fugliest Gun" contest. I thought the only person that would buy a Rhino would be Stevie Wonder. It is undoubtedly the ugliest handgun ever produced... followed closely by the impractical, yet amazingly ugly, "Double Tap" pistol. Both guns must have been designed by out of work designers of women's shoes!) Pax...

P.S. The Daimler is cute... but cute won't get you repair parts at the Auto Zone or O'Reilly's, and Daimler dealers are few and far between.

The Rhino makes sense.

If you want ugly look at a Dardick.

Rusty Young Man

1. I think so too. How about a small "tank"

2. You can get tanks, personnel carriers, and quite a few other armored vehicles on the good ole' internet.

At this point, I really wish I was a billionaire. I would buy a few of these and a few Abrahms tanks, donate them to several groups to be raffled off to freedom-loving, Rights-defending, LACs that understand the original intent of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

You know, just in case the "War on drugs" isn't the reason for ARMORED VEHICLES serving out warrants on the streets of America.

Last edited:

eye95

The Rhino actually makes a lot of sense. Aligning the initial trajectory of the bullet with the line of the arm means that recoil will be straight back instead of creating a torque and lifting the hand, forcing a reset of the level of the gun.

The only question is whether that benefit is worth that additional engineering and the increased probability of a malfunction due to the more complicated firing system. Oh, and the cost.

But the concept makes a LOT of sense.

BTW, stop the hatin' on Dayton. Chiappa assembles Rhinos here in Dayton. We sold a few at the counter, but the lack of popularity (mainly due to price) means that they are not worth maintaining in stock. We will order them for customer convenience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
At the time 2A was written and included into the BoR, individual "arms" were rifles, pistols, shotguns, edged and pointed weapons, and impact weapons. They had no crystal ball with which they could foresee motorized, crew-served weapons or the airborne weapons of the future.

They had no crystal ball? They knew the major advances within the previous 100 yrs of their time period and likely could comprehend the next advances. Not rocket science,

davidmcbeth

Banned

I agree with 2A being absolute (wait for it)........ BUT, realistically, very little "of military value is available to us" (assuming that "us" is Joe Average - a working-class wage earner).

Well, you could own a tank if you wanted to ... right? You just want a nicer car, nicer house. Everyone has their own priorities. Some are willing to sacrifice to own fancy cars, fancy houses, expensive vacations, etc...so a tank? Its not like its going to lose value quickly.

So now you are claiming an afordability aspect to the 2nd amendment -- but it does not say "arms the avg joe" can afford"....does it?

And worried about liberals? They are unarmed. They are no concern to me. And guberment goons? Not worried about them either.

eye95

At the time 2A was written and included into the BoR, individual "arms" were rifles, pistols, shotguns, edged and pointed weapons, and impact weapons. They had no crystal ball with which they could foresee motorized, crew-served weapons or the airborne weapons of the future. Does that mean the BoR needs to be rewritten or even amended? No!...

Not only that, but if you research the history Right to Bear Arms (and the Duty!), you will find that it always referred to individually carried arms that had a civilian purpose, but (in a pinch) could be used as one's personal militia weapon. The 2A is clearly referring to such "bearable" arms--which include those that you listed, and today's analogs: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, knives, clubs, etc.

Unfortunately, folks are only actively fighting for the RKBFA, instead of the RKBA.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Regardless of whether or not the bill of rights enumerates the right to keep weapons other than ones that can be carried and used personally, I still believe it is a right and I believe that our 'founding fathers' would agree. I don't have cites or access to a computer, nor the time at the moment to find cites with tomorrow being a work day, but its my understanding that this issue - that people would lock onto the bill of rights as the holy grail of rights protection and lose consideration for many rights not enumerated - was a major debate point when considering the adoption of a bill of rights in the first place. Those that argued for it essentially believed that there would be no way that people could fall into a trap of believing that unless an act or state of being is constituinally protected that it isn't the right of an individual to take that action or remain in that state of being.

Furthermore, exclusive monopoly to certain weapons by federally authorized armed forces didn't happen until much after our founding fathers time. As it's been pointed out, that doesn't mean their position failed to consider the existence of more destructive weaponry. They all knew about powerful war machines capable of mass devastation. Catapults, trubechetes, cannons and rockets all come to mind. Do you think civilians did not personally own cannons and maintain possession of them in their homes? Cause, they did.

Last edited:

eye95

The fundamental right is the right of self-defense, not the RKBA. The RKBA comes solely from the 2A and State analogs. Therefore, the history and the meaning of the 2A is significant to the enumerated Right, not so much the GGONIYP Right.

<o>

JoeSparky

Centurion
The fundamental right is the right of self-defense, not the RKBA. The RKBA comes solely from the 2A and State analogs. Therefore, the history and the meaning of the 2A is significant to the enumerated Right, not so much the GGONIYP Right.

<o>

OK, I'll bite.... what does GGONIYP stand for?