• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smartphone app for audio recording to the cloud

JustaShooter

I'm trying to find a good smartphone app for recording audio to the cloud. Right now, I'm using an iPhone but could be switching platforms at my next renewal so an app with support for iPhone and Android would be preferable. All I can seem to find are for recording both audio and video (Bambuser, Qik). I plan on having my phone in my shirt pocket, mic up, to record audio and see no point in sending a bunch of video of the inside of my pocket up to the cloud & eating into my monthly bandwidth. The audio-only apps seem to all be focused on local storage of the recordings and I really want to have the option of automatic uploads to a private account in the cloud.

Yes, I know there are inexpensive dedicated audio recorders out there, but they don't automatically upload to the cloud and besides, I carry enough stuff around with me as it is and want to reduce, not increase, my EDC.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

JustaShooter

OK, to help those who are having trouble reading and comprehending my original post, I've highlighted the section that says all I can find are apps that record both audio and video and I don't want that - I want audio only to save bandwidth. If I'm mistaken, and one of the referenced apps can do that with a setting I've not been able to find, then please let me know.

Motofixxer

Cop recorder 2 records audio discreetly but not to the cloud till you stop recording. As far as I know anyway. The other option is to encrypt your device then it can't be touched. And be sure to put a lock on your screen.

MattinWA

Galaxy s4 can sinc any new files to the cloud, as u create them. So using the standard voice memo or video recorder can be set to upload, say a video, as soon as it can... (ie active 4g or strong network signal.)

MattinWA

Cop recorder 2 records audio discreetly but not to the cloud till you stop recording. As far as I know anyway. The other option is to encrypt your device then it can't be touched. And be sure to put a lock on your screen.

Encrypted files and lock screens dont work when the m.o. to destroy data evidence is with the use of large magnets.

JustaShooter

Encrypted files and lock screens dont work when the m.o. to destroy data evidence is with the use of large magnets.

There is no magnetic storage inside of any smartphone I am familiar with. It is all flash memory and once written you must use the electronics of the flash module to erase or alter the contents.

I worry more about the ability of law enforcement agencies to plug my phone into a device and pull content from it without needing to decrypt it. As I understand it, Apple can do this (and currently have a backlog of requests from LEOs to perform that task for them) and if they can, then it probably won't be long till your average law enforcement agency can likewise do so.

JustaShooter

I can only find Cop Recorder 2 on Android, and it looks like Cop Recorder for iPhone (not sure if it is the same app or not) has been replaced by OpenWatch. Says it uploads a low-resolution video stream live and then the high resolution version is synced once you are done recording. Lot of reviews saying it is buggy, but looks like it is worth a try.

Last edited: