• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My annual, no carry 10/5/13 to 11/16/13 rant

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's that time of year again....Bow and muzzle loader season when only CHP holders are allowed to defend themselves with a handgun. Us barbarians have to use a can opener or something.

P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P P4P

BTW, Unlike CHP Holders who are disarmed, we aren't defenseless....but we are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore.
bash-head.gif
SmileyGoBoom.gif
archery-095.gif

Marco

It's that time of year again....Bow and muzzle loader season when only CHP holders are allowed to defend themselves with a handgun. Us barbarians have to use a can opener or something.

BTW, Unlike CHP Holders who are disarmed, we aren't defenseless....but we are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore.
bash-head.gif
SmileyGoBoom.gif
archery-095.gif

Excerpts from a recent email with VCDL Pres. regarding a lack of volunteers from this area:

Me:I think a good start would be to try and get some regs removed for hunters ie... Remove: No handgun carry except during firearms season without a chp
The complaint I hear most is vcdl supports chp holders first and foremost and any other gun owners get include by default. But let it be an issue that doesn't benefit chp holders and the issue gets put on the back burner

VCDL Pres: We have priorities, like any other organization. Hunting is not a priority for us. However, we have gone to bat for hunters many times (and with much gratefulness from some hunting groups who needed the help.)

Me:But it's not about hunting or hunters, it's about leveling the playing field, much like the restaurant bill did.
Why should non chp holders be denied the right to bear arms during bow/ml season while chp holders aren't, or the right to carry inside the GA.
For some reason you see this as a hunting issue.

VCDL Pres.:
Open carry is always going to be fully protected and enhanced by VCDL whenever we can. We are also pushing for Constitutional Carry. But concealed carry is very important to our members and it is a priority.

fact-OC or CC isn't fully protected for those that don't wish to cave and get a gov't permission slip to carry.

While I have the utmost respect for Phil I totally disagree with him on this issue.

The entire emails aren't include but nothing was taken out of context.. Grapeshot and others were CC'd by me during the email exchange.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Excerpts from a recent email with VCDL Pres. regarding a lack of volunteers from this area:

Me:I think a good start would be to try and get some regs removed for hunters ie... Remove: No handgun carry except during firearms season without a chp
The complaint I hear most is vcdl supports chp holders first and foremost and any other gun owners get include by default. But let it be an issue that doesn't benefit chp holders and the issue gets put on the back burner

VCDL Pres: We have priorities, like any other organization. Hunting is not a priority for us. However, we have gone to bat for hunters many times (and with much gratefulness from some hunting groups who needed the help.)

Me:But it's not about hunting or hunters, it's about leveling the playing field, much like the restaurant bill did.
Why should non chp holders be denied the right to bear arms during bow/ml season while chp holders aren't, or the right to carry inside the GA.

VCDL Pres.:
Open carry is always going to be fully protected and enhanced by VCDL whenever we can. We are also pushing for Constitutional Carry. But concealed carry is very important to our members and it is a priority.

fact-OC or CC isn't fully protected for those that don't wish to cave and get a gov't permission slip to carry.

While I have the utmost respect for Phil I totally disagree with him on this issue.

The entire emails aren't include but nothing was taken out of context.. Grapeshot and others were CC'd by me during the email exchange.

Thanks Marco. I couldn't have said it any better.

Of course, it isn't all VCDL There's no reason for them to take up the hunting issue because Lee Ware is playing Dick Saslaw in the Agriculture committee and nothing passes out Kirby Burch doesn't like.

Of course Kirby stated in front of witnesses, that he not only started VCDL and "Gave it to Phil"...but that he authored the Shall issued bill.

lee-2.jpg

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not even going to bother answering that stupid question.
Why are you on an Open carry board?

mpguy

Re: My annual, no carry 10/5 to 11/16 rant

Why not just get the permit $50 is nothing.

It's the point that matters. You/we shouldn't have to. Yes it's nothing money wise. I'd like to think values>money.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Even if it's free, I'm still not getting a permit.

Ron, his comment is a prime example of people that are willing to turn Va. into a permit state. I don't have any patience with them.

I've followed your states Lobby closely, get their alerts and have donated to it. They've done a miraculous job getting rid of the draconian laws that NC had while at the same time, certain factions here are in favor of implementing them.

The old saying "You don't know what you had until it's gone" has a lot of meaning in this state.:mad:

I'm going to send Grass Roots of North Carolina the $50.00 I'm NOT going to pay for a permit here. Hopefully they continue their no compromise agenda even now that they've had major victories.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So, where do these hunting regs apply?

For me, I know they apply in the entire Jefferson National forest (and others), which is a massive personal inconvenience, and an affront to Jefferson's name and legacy.

Where else do these laws apply?

Of course, I'm aware that much of the rural area of the state is a National Forest (pretty much everywhere around me is).

Regardless, this is my #1 issue with gun rights in Virginia. That the VCDL continues to focus on CC irrelevancies – and ignore this – is changing my opinion of them day by day. I have not renewed my membership since I became aware of this issue.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

VCDL Pres.:

Thank you for being willing to have this conversation with the folks you know in VCDL. Once you get out of the cities and suburbs, rural carry in the National Forests and while hunting is significantly restricted. Plenty of folks I know don't spend much time out shopping or dining out in the burbs, but spend plenty of time hiking the woods for fun or hunting. Unless they choose to be part of the pay to play CHP crowd like so many suburbanites, their right to carry a sidearm for personal defense is utterly denied and VCDL doesn't mean much to them since so little discussion or effort seems to be spent on rural carry where many of us live, work, and hang out.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Why not just get the permit $50 is nothing.

1. Principle.

2. Then I couldn't enjoy a beer.

3. Then I would be subsidizing the state, in effect rewarding it for immoral and unconstitutional actions.

4. The minute you ask for something which is your right, you have conceded the right to whomever you're asking for it from. When you apply for a permit, you're assenting to the abrogation of your right.

5. No.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So, where do these hunting regs apply?
Everywhere while hunting during the Bow/ML season. Since I'll hunt 6 days a week from now till January, except Sundays (Thanks to Lee Ware) and Grahams trial on the 10th...I'm not supposed to carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Everywhere while hunting during the Bow/ML season. Since I'll hunt 6 days a week from now till January, except Sundays (Thanks to Lee Ware) and Grahams trial on the 10th...I'm not supposed to carry.

Not even a black powder handgun?

ron73440

1. Principle.

2. Then I couldn't enjoy a beer.

3. Then I would be subsidizing the state, in effect rewarding it for immoral and unconstitutional actions.

4. The minute you ask for something which is your right, you have conceded the right to whomever you're asking for it from. When you apply for a permit, you're assenting to the abrogation of your right.

5. No.

Exactly!

scouser

and am I correct in thinking that also includes on your own private land where, without a permit, you're allowed to conceal the rest of the year?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If it helps at all in your fight, the wording of the Oregon hunting laws is perfect. They specifically allow the carrying of any firearm at all times; even recognizing that any rule to the contrary would be against your rights. They just make it clear you'd better not use it for the actual species when not in season. They recognize that bad guys and attacking animals are always in season. You may be able to propose its text to your regulators and get them to agree.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If it helps at all in your fight, the wording of the Oregon hunting laws is perfect. They specifically allow the carrying of any firearm at all times; even recognizing that any rule to the contrary would be against your rights. They just make it clear you'd better not use it for the actual species when not in season. They recognize that bad guys and attacking animals are always in season. You may be able to propose its text to your regulators and get them to agree.
Gotta link to it?