• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My annual, no carry 10/5/13 to 11/16/13 rant

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If it helps at all in your fight, the wording of the Oregon hunting laws is perfect. They specifically allow the carrying of any firearm at all times; even recognizing that any rule to the contrary would be against your rights. They just make it clear you'd better not use it for the actual species when not in season. They recognize that bad guys and attacking animals are always in season. You may be able to propose its text to your regulators and get them to agree.

It would be great if we could get it through here Mac.
It would have to go through the House Agriculture Committee and that means Ware's sub committee.

He is the Dick Saslaw of the hunting world and his chain is yanked by the Dog hunting Lobbyist.
For reasons I don't really want to get into, the Dog Hunters do not want non permit legislation to make it through that Sub (And a lot of other legislation too).

That bill would be the walking dead.

This is one election where I'm hoping the Democratic Challenger for Ware's seat.....beats the pants off of him.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Notice to dog hunters

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

AppealPlay

What's the deal on no hunting on Sunday? I was shocked when that bill didn't pass. I don't understand it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's the deal on no hunting on Sunday? I was shocked when that bill didn't pass. I don't understand it.

The Hunters deathstar committee (actually sub committee).

It will easily pass both the house and senate but Lee Ware's deathstar kills it every year.

I really have to laugh at Burch though. A few months back he did an interview where he claimed to represent 65,000 hunters...last night in Accomack where the BOS wants to ban dog hunting, he claimed he represented 80,000. :lol:

I'd be amazed if he represents 500.

taurusfan

$50 seems to me a reasonable amount to pay for such a broad permission to carry a firearm in Virginia and MANY other states. I see OC as icing on the cake.

Although I may OC when it suits me, I generally prefer CC unlike some on this forum who NEVER CC.

That's fine to take a stand and not get the permit but I can carry a gun in:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

No Virginia resident permit? You are limited to a few of those in the list.

I'm pissed that we lost Delaware (Virginia reciprocity will be revoked on December 7, 2013) and don't have Georgia and I've seriously considered obtaining the Utah permit.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
$50 seems to me a reasonable amount to pay for such a broad permission to carry a firearm in Virginia and MANY other states. I see OC as icing on the cake.

Although I may OC when it suits me, I generally prefer CC unlike some on this forum who NEVER CC.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

I'm pissed that we lost Delaware (Virginia reciprocity will be revoked on December 7, 2013) and don't have Georgia and I've seriously considered obtaining the Utah permit.

And your point would be????

Others have differing priorities, and at least as much right to their viewpoint as you do to yours.

Perhaps more here, since this is an OPEN CARRY board.

1245A Defender

Well, and Wow!!!

The few on the list that require a pay for play permit have been writ large,,, but
your list doesnt include others that WE ALL can OC in without permission!
Colorado, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, Washington!!!

And your point would be????

Others have differing priorities, and at least as much right to their viewpoint as you do to yours.

Perhaps more here, since this is an OPEN CARRY board.

I respect Peter Nap for not Paying to play, even though he cant protect himself during hunting season, more
than I can excuse myself for getting a CPL so I dont have to unload every time I get in my car!

ron73440

Good for you, I'm in NC and we have places we can't go without a permission slip and I refuse to get one and just don't go to those places.

The thought of asking the government for permission just bothers me on a very deep level.

If OC was not an option then I guess I would get one, but luckily that's not required.

conhntr

You are not paying for permission. You are paying for an intrusive background check and to be added to a registry to do something for which neither should be required.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
More like a fee/tax than P4P. No background check, can get the slip at most sporting goods stores and some gas stations here in the urbans/suburbs, just about everywhere in the rest of the commonwealth.

So your attempt at similarities fails.

stay safe.

Marco

More like a fee/tax than P4P. No background check, can get the slip at most sporting goods stores and some gas stations here in the urbans/suburbs, just about everywhere in the rest of the commonwealth.

So your attempt at similarities fails.

stay safe.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp

License Exemptions

All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before hunting or trapping. Where exempt, the exemption means the individual is exempt from the basic hunting license, bear, deer, turkey license, archery license, crossbow license, muzzleloading license, and Virginia Migratory Waterfowl Conservation Stamp. All seasons, bag limits, and checking requirements apply.

•Resident or non-resident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.

Last edited:

zoom6zoom

I agree most wholeheartedly with Marco and Peter. This is in no way a hunting issue. There are many of us who do not hunt, but may enjoy a nice walk in the fall woods, and prefer not to have to be disarmed to do so.

It's already illegal to take game with the wrong type of weapon, or caliber, etc. Let the game wardens deal with violators of THAT on an individual basis, don't penalize all citizens for what some individual MIGHT do. It is DEFINITELY an infringment upon our rights to self defense, and as such should be a priority for VCDL.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
bow.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So if not hunting, would it still be legal to carry a bow for self-defense during archery season? If not, you have your clear infringement on the right to bear arms.

Now, are there actual cases of wardens or other cops citing people for having an unlicensed firearm during these times?