• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My annual, no carry 10/5/13 to 11/16/13 rant

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So if not hunting, would it still be legal to carry a bow for self-defense during archery season? If not, you have your clear infringement on the right to bear arms.

Now, are there actual cases of wardens or other cops citing people for having an unlicensed firearm during these times?

Dunno how it is for hunters, but I live smack in the middle of the Jefferson National Forest. Much of this is open to hunting, but the portion I prefer are the hiking trails which dominate the areas close to any large human presence. These areas are marked with signs (no firearms), which carry the force of the hunting laws in question, and there are park rangers to be seen with some frequency. I have little doubt one would catch a charge for OCing past one of these signs.

This effectively means I have to disarm to take a hike.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So if not hunting, would it still be legal to carry a bow for self-defense during archery season? If not, you have your clear infringement on the right to bear arms.

Now, are there actual cases of wardens or other cops citing people for having an unlicensed firearm during these times?

Sure there are cases Mac, but seperating them out would be impossible. The charge is the same for people using 223's to Deer hunt or using rifles in shotgun counties or lead shot for waterfowl.

Separate from defending yourself from a pack of doghunters, which I've come close to several times....a more likely situation would be yesterday. I got that image above yesterday just before dark. I waited a half hour for it to die, then trailed it.

It was well after dark when I found it and since it was 91 degrees that day, decided to cut it up and get it on ice ASAP.

I was a half mile from where I could get the ATV so I cut it in quarters and packed it out. No way to carry a bow and deer meat at the same time.

I live in heavy bear country, was covered in blood and carting fresh meat with my bow propped against my tree stand.

The largest bear I have is around 600 pounds and I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be wrestling them.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
:eek:

Did they really just ask that question?

That same question in almost those exact words have been asked before. At least once in the annual rant by someone that would shock you....but also by Lauri Haas, who says she isn't anti gun but everyone should have a permit and Goddard who seconded it.

Brian D.

Mr. Nap, maybe from 10/5 to 11/16 you should give up that dangerous hinterlands living and become a city slicker. That way you can have your carry gun along. ;)

The carry gun restriction during deer season here in Ohio is similar, however it used to be much worse. So maybe there's always a glimmer of hope.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well Brian, that's an easy one.

First, the time that I have to spend in the burbs is nothing short of annoying. Lawn mowers even in the dead of winter, traffic everywhere and a cop on every corner.

Second, you don't solve a problem by running away from it and the problem doesn't stop with hunting season. When the CWP's were changed to CHP's and shall issue passed, it was a good thing and still would be if it had stopped there.

It didn't though and P4P was created. That's fine for a lot of burnanites but the majority of firearms owners in this state are hunters and outdoors people who don't have CHP's and are getting sick of being ignored.

Lots of fires smoldering these days.

optiksguy

This effectively means I have to disarm to take a hike.

Which is why I'm still dumbstruck VCDL sees this as a hunting issue. PVC did the right thing speaking out for that fellow who was open carrying his long gun on the overpass, but this issue, which is of immediate practical importance to many many more people and seems like a no-brainer in comparison, is dismissed. I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Which is why I'm still dumbstruck VCDL sees this as a hunting issue. PVC did the right thing speaking out for that fellow who was open carrying his long gun on the overpass, but this issue, which is of immediate practical importance to many many more people and seems like a no-brainer in comparison, is dismissed. I don't get it. Am I missing something?

See Peter Nap's post #26

It is not dismissed by VCDL. If a bill is not passed out of committee, it stands no chance at all of becoming law. We try each year.

Also working on state agency preemption which could/should solve this problem. Again though it is a tough sell.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
See Peter Nap's post #26

It is not dismissed by VCDL. If a bill is not passed out of committee, it stands no chance at all of becoming law. We try each year.

Also working on state agency preemption which could/should solve this problem. Again though it is a tough sell.

Yes...If it were only so easy to pick out VCDL as the villain. While they do put too much emphases on CHP's, the guns in National Forests, guns during Bow and ML seasons, guns in WMA's, Sunday Hunting, Dog Hunting restrictions and many others....are so intricately tied together by inaction by some groups, threats by others and BS by others still...it's staggering.

The buck still stops with Delegate Lee Ware. I don't like the fact that the PAC endorsed him when his actions are exactly the same as Dick Saslaw's and we all remember just how many kinds of a SOB we called him before the Elections.

The answer is just as complicated as the problem. As I said earlier, there are a lot of smoldering fires ready to flare up and that isn't just a catchy phrase.

Some of Ware's supporters have posted that they carry 5 gallons of kerosene and will burn out property owners that they don't like...one said "They start it and we'll finish it ...later".
There are some dangerous people with matches out there.

Running away from the problem or knuckling under and buying permits isn't the answer, actually, they only make it worse.

P4P is never the answer though!

builtjeep

On the Sunday hunting issue, has the current law ever been challenged in court? or any of our current locality blue laws for that matter? I imagine someone has to be charged first in order to have grounds to challenge?

These are clearly based not only on religion, but on a particular religion and their worship schedule (I imagine Col. Heights church attendance would certainly suffer if people were allowed to purchase alcohol before the end of service.)

I don't have links handy at the moment, but I know there have been studies that showed no ill effects to the deer population by allowing 7 day hunting (other than possibly a bit more thinning of the herd).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On the Sunday hunting issue, has the current law ever been challenged in court? or any of our current locality blue laws for that matter? I imagine someone has to be charged first in order to have grounds to challenge?

These are clearly based not only on religion, but on a particular religion and their worship schedule (I imagine Col. Heights church attendance would certainly suffer if people were allowed to purchase alcohol before the end of service.)

I don't have links handy at the moment, but I know there have been studies that showed no ill effects to the deer population by allowing 7 day hunting (other than possibly a bit more thinning of the herd).

Bag limits and other rules still apply whether one (1) day per week or seven (7) full days of hunting. As it is, working people only get one day to hunt (Sat.) unless they take time off, subject to their employers discretion.

Last edited:

builtjeep

Re: My annual, no carry 10/5 to 11/16 rant

Correct on the bag limits, I was just thinking an extra day would give working folks like me more opportunity to fill those tags (I rarely kill more than 2-3 per year, often less).

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

AJG

Unfair

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

THis is unfair to hunters that use hounds marshaul. Not all of us are bad!
As the same picture could be used to many that tout 2A for Va....