Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have carry issues on Freemont street it seems.

We have carry issues on Freemont street it seems.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/New-c...226447581.html

Las Vegas police are planning on setting up barricades and will be out in force. In addition to requiring identification, no weapons of any kind will be allowed along with no packaged liquor, no backpacks or large bags and no glass or cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/New-c...226447581.html

Las Vegas police are planning on setting up barricades and will be out in force. In addition to requiring identification, no weapons of any kind will be allowed along with no packaged liquor, no backpacks or large bags and no glass or cans.

Is that even legal? I thought Freemont street was public property? I saw on the news it was a bunch of hired security monitoring the barricades...does that mean its private property?
    Last edited by Cjanik; 10-05-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Saw it on the news tonight. They did put up barricades at 6 locations screening everyone that entered the Fremont Experience area and said no weapons. Supposedly a one-day trail with the possibility of doing it more often.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 10-05-2013 at 02:34 AM.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Ask the city to explain how Fremont Street has become private property, and how much they were paid.

If they can't do that in a reasonable amount of time, file suit against the city, demanding not only damages but a firm, written policy prohibiting any similar action in the future.

I sent an email to the PIO at Metro asking where they derived their authority to violate section 1 of NRS 268.418 (state preemption). We'll see what they say, if anything at all.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

I am up for a walk about on the nights they have this set up. The only time I am not free in the next couple of weeks in the 18-19th.

What are the chances of getting a state lawmaker involved?

Can you imagine the triumph we would have if Metro harassed a state lawmaker when Metro is the one violating the state law?

This applies to being armed while in County facilities, too.

Is anyone on speaking terms with a Legislator? Someone other than Assemblyman Brooks, of course...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    What are the chances of getting a state lawmaker involved?

Can you imagine the triumph we would have if Metro harassed a state lawmaker when Metro is the one violating the state law?

This applies to being armed while in County facilities, too.

Is anyone on speaking terms with a Legislator? Someone other than Assemblyman Brooks, of course...
    http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/st...-HQDQWnkg.cspx

Former Asm Brooks, I believe.......
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Update

I just Spoke with Officer Hernandez with LVMPD, Office of public information.

Metro's explanation was that the organizers of First Friday opted to pull a permit for the last event, making the "permitted area" private property for the duration of the permit. I suspected that this scenario would be the case even before I contacted Metro. What I believe we must do now is to obtain a copy of the permit, via public records request. I would be shocked if there was not a provision of the event permit that did not require the event organizer to "follow all federal, state and local laws." This is going to be a difficult battle to fight, but I'm willing to fight it if others are as well.

Re: We have carry issues on Freemont street it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post

Metro's explanation was that the organizers of First Friday opted to pull a permit for the last event, making the "permitted area" private property for the duration of the permit. I suspected that this scenario would be the case even before I contacted Metro. What I believe we must do now is to obtain a copy of the permit, via public records request. I would be shocked if there was not a provision of the event permit that did not require the event organizer to "follow all federal, state and local laws." This is going to be a difficult battle to fight, but I'm willing to fight it if others are as well.
    This sounds almost identical to the "Vegas StrEATs" debacle last year.

I know it's here on the site somewhere, but I'm not at my computer to check. I'll find the thread ASAP.

EDIT:Found the link. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...rEATS-Festival
    Last edited by b0neZ; 10-09-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Found and added thread link.

Im happy to foot the bill for the paperwork.

In looking at the permit codes for these things I found a special section we need to be aware of. This link. http://library.municode.com/HTML/147....html#TOPTITLE

End of page. It states.

12.02.230 Violations.

It is unlawful for any person:

(A)
    To violate LVMC 12.02.020 or any other provision of this Chapter.
    (B)
    Who is in charge of, or responsible for the conduct of, a special event to knowingly fail to comply with any condition of the permit.
    (C)
    To consume, sell or be in possession of an alcoholic beverage at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as expressly authorized by a special event permit.
    (D)
    To carry or be in possession of a weapon at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as authorized by law or as specified in a special event permit.
    (Ord. No. 6183, 1, 3-7-12)

Has anyone asked the NVFAC for help in this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Has anyone asked the NVFAC for help in this matter?
    You owe me a cup of coffee, dammit. I just laughed this one out my nose.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Former Assm. Brooks probably has more than he can deal with right now. But it appears you knew that already.
    Damn shame what is happening/what he's doing to himself.
    If he wasn't in a jam I would ask him, as his mom is my cousin.
    Yeah, I doubt Bob Irwin (NVFAC) is going to me much (ANY) help.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Former Assm. Brooks probably has more than he can deal with right now. But it appears you knew that already.
    Yeah, I doubt Bob Irwin (NVFAC) is going to me much (ANY) help.
    Yep.

But Bob was fired, er, I mean, was allowed to resign and is no longer officially in the leadership of NVFAC. Which is when I finally joined. Since then, they've done nothing to warrant my renewal, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    In looking at the permit codes for these things I found a special section we need to be aware of. This link. http://library.municode.com/HTML/147....html#TOPTITLE

End of page. It states.

12.02.230 Violations.

(A)
    (B)
    Who is in charge of, or responsible for the conduct of, a special event to knowingly fail to comply with any condition of the permit.
    (C)
    To consume, sell or be in possession of an alcoholic beverage at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as expressly authorized by a special event permit.
    (D)
    To carry or be in possession of a weapon at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as authorized by law or as specified in a special event permit.
    Notice the date of the Ordinance, 3-7-12, think preemption.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    Notice the date of the Ordinance, 3-7-12, think preemption.

TBG
    Yep... this ordinance must be revised to be brought into compliance with preemption. They can prohibit any weapon they want so long as they don't prohibit firearms.

I thought that NV had incomplete preemption...?

Our preemption specifically exempted the registration of handguns for residents of Clark County, but that isn't its biggest flaw. It also has no penalty clause and is repeatedly violated by many county and city governments with impunity.

Yep... this ordinance must be revised to be brought into compliance with preemption. They can prohibit any weapon they want so long as they don't prohibit firearms.
    The whole making the area a pvt event would be the issue as well. Also it says in the RJ article that the city council voted on something. So we would need to know exactly what area the searches are taking place and if they are in a public area.

This is taking a page out of the North Las Vegas weapons prohibited in vehicles ordinance. Notice how it says: except as authorized by law

That could explain why my conceal carry people were not "discovered."

12.02.230 Violations.

(A)
    (B)
    (C)
    (D)

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    ...12.02.230 Violations.

It is unlawful for any person...(D) To carry or be in possession of a weapon...(Ord. No. 6183, 1, 3-7-12)
    Do they define "weapon?"

Do they define "weapon?"
    I believe this is the right ordinance for the definition.

10.70.010*- Defined.

"Dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but it not limited toA)Any dirk or dagger;(B)Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length;(C)Any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of length of the blade;(D)Any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;(E)Any straightedge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle;(F)Any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this State restricting the use thereof; and(G)Any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm; and(H)Any firearm, as defined in*Section*10.66.010, other than one carried pursuant to a valid permit issued by a duly authorized governmental authority or an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport. The permit requirement does not apply to1)A person who has not been a resident of the City for at least sixty days; or(2)A firearm during the seventy-two hour period within which a person is allowed to register that firearm under*Section10.66.040

Quote Originally Posted by desertborn View Post
    ...10.70.010*- Defined.

"Dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, ... (H)Any firearm, as defined in*Section*10.66.010, other than one carried pursuant to a valid permit issued by a duly authorized governmental authority ... The permit requirement does not apply to1)A person who has not been a resident of the City for at least sixty days; or(2)A firearm during the seventy-two hour period within which a person is allowed to register that firearm under*Section10.66.040
    Okay, that's weird. I see the firearm exception for those who have a "permit." And then it starts using the term "permit" as if it refers to registration. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-11-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast