• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We have carry issues on Freemont street it seems.

Cjanik

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/New-curfew-goes-into-effect-beginning-today-226447581.html

Las Vegas police are planning on setting up barricades and will be out in force. In addition to requiring identification, no weapons of any kind will be allowed along with no packaged liquor, no backpacks or large bags and no glass or cans.

Is that even legal? I thought Freemont street was public property? I saw on the news it was a bunch of hired security monitoring the barricades...does that mean its private property?

Last edited:

28kfps

Saw it on the news tonight. They did put up barricades at 6 locations screening everyone that entered the Fremont Experience area and said no weapons. Supposedly a one-day trail with the possibility of doing it more often.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Ask the city to explain how Fremont Street has become private property, and how much they were paid.

If they can't do that in a reasonable amount of time, file suit against the city, demanding not only damages but a firm, written policy prohibiting any similar action in the future.

Nevada carrier

I sent an email to the PIO at Metro asking where they derived their authority to violate section 1 of NRS 268.418 (state preemption). We'll see what they say, if anything at all.

Vegassteve

I am up for a walk about on the nights they have this set up. The only time I am not free in the next couple of weeks in the 18-19th.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What are the chances of getting a state lawmaker involved?

Can you imagine the triumph we would have if Metro harassed a state lawmaker when Metro is the one violating the state law?

This applies to being armed while in County facilities, too.

Is anyone on speaking terms with a Legislator? Someone other than Assemblyman Brooks, of course...

wrightme

Nevada carrier

Update

I just Spoke with Officer Hernandez with LVMPD, Office of public information.

Metro's explanation was that the organizers of First Friday opted to pull a permit for the last event, making the "permitted area" private property for the duration of the permit. I suspected that this scenario would be the case even before I contacted Metro. What I believe we must do now is to obtain a copy of the permit, via public records request. I would be shocked if there was not a provision of the event permit that did not require the event organizer to "follow all federal, state and local laws." This is going to be a difficult battle to fight, but I'm willing to fight it if others are as well.

b0neZ

Metro's explanation was that the organizers of First Friday opted to pull a permit for the last event, making the "permitted area" private property for the duration of the permit. I suspected that this scenario would be the case even before I contacted Metro. What I believe we must do now is to obtain a copy of the permit, via public records request. I would be shocked if there was not a provision of the event permit that did not require the event organizer to "follow all federal, state and local laws." This is going to be a difficult battle to fight, but I'm willing to fight it if others are as well.

This sounds almost identical to the "Vegas StrEATs" debacle last year.

I know it's here on the site somewhere, but I'm not at my computer to check. I'll find the thread ASAP.

EDIT:Found the link. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?104672-Vegas-StrEATS-Festival

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Im happy to foot the bill for the paperwork.

Vegassteve

In looking at the permit codes for these things I found a special section we need to be aware of. This link. http://library.municode.com/HTML/14787/level2/TIT12MIRE_CH12.02SPEV.html#TOPTITLE

End of page. It states.

12.02.230 Violations.

It is unlawful for any person:

(A)
To violate LVMC 12.02.020 or any other provision of this Chapter.
(B)
Who is in charge of, or responsible for the conduct of, a special event to knowingly fail to comply with any condition of the permit.
(C)
To consume, sell or be in possession of an alcoholic beverage at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as expressly authorized by a special event permit.
(D)
To carry or be in possession of a weapon at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as authorized by law or as specified in a special event permit.
(Ord. No. 6183, § 1, 3-7-12)

Marco

Is anyone on speaking terms with a Legislator? Someone other than Assemblyman Brooks, of course...

Former Assm. Brooks probably has more than he can deal with right now. But it appears you knew that already.
Damn shame what is happening/what he's doing to himself.
If he wasn't in a jam I would ask him, as his mom is my cousin.
Yeah, I doubt Bob Irwin (NVFAC) is going to me much (ANY) help.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Former Assm. Brooks probably has more than he can deal with right now. But it appears you knew that already.
Yeah, I doubt Bob Irwin (NVFAC) is going to me much (ANY) help.

Yep.

But Bob was fired, er, I mean, was allowed to resign and is no longer officially in the leadership of NVFAC. Which is when I finally joined. Since then, they've done nothing to warrant my renewal, however.

The Big Guy

In looking at the permit codes for these things I found a special section we need to be aware of. This link. http://library.municode.com/HTML/14787/level2/TIT12MIRE_CH12.02SPEV.html#TOPTITLE

End of page. It states.

12.02.230 Violations.

It is unlawful for any person:

(A)
To violate LVMC 12.02.020 or any other provision of this Chapter.
(B)
Who is in charge of, or responsible for the conduct of, a special event to knowingly fail to comply with any condition of the permit.
(C)
To consume, sell or be in possession of an alcoholic beverage at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as expressly authorized by a special event permit.
(D)
To carry or be in possession of a weapon at the location of a special event while it is taking place, except as authorized by law or as specified in a special event permit.
(Ord. No. 6183, § 1, 3-7-12)

Notice the date of the Ordinance, 3-7-12, think preemption.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Our preemption specifically exempted the registration of handguns for residents of Clark County, but that isn't its biggest flaw. It also has no penalty clause and is repeatedly violated by many county and city governments with impunity.