• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa School Gun laws? Have we had a challenge yet?

Publican

I guess the title says it all.

I believe I understand the law as it is currently written. Have there been ANY prosecutions, challenges, etc that I could study?

Thanks n advance

(back in PA where I lived until 5 months ago, there was wording "for other lawful purpose" and finally a legal challenge.)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
Note: A Dr. was arrested (Approx 1/3/13 with legal Permit) for having a firearm on school property in PA.
He was not arrested for almost 3 weeks until the court decided that he could be charged and that the wording,
“Other Lawful Purposes” didn’t apply in this case. Until this case is settled and a final decision is made by
the courts concerning that wording and what it means in law I would not carry on any school property.

Publican

Seems Not

Seems no challenge yet. I could not find anything either. THX for the reply.

NOW, if I read this correctly, Guns CAN be on school property if the following exception is met (there are other exceptions but this is the only one which would pertain to me).

724.4B CARRYING WEAPONS ON SCHOOL GROUNDS -- PENALTY
-- EXCEPTIONS.

1. A person who goes armed with, carries, or transports a firearm
of any kind, whether concealed or not, on the grounds of a school
commits a class "D" felony. For the purposes of this section,
"school" means a public or nonpublic school as defined in section
2. Subsection 1 does not apply to the following:
a. A person listed under section 724.4, subsection 4,
paragraphs "b" through "f" or "j".

b. A person who has been specifically authorized by the
school to go armed, carry, or transport a firearm on the school
grounds, including for purposes of conducting an instructional
program regarding firearms.
http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/cool-...y=billinfo&service=iowacode&input=724.#724.4B

AND 724.4 - f reads:
f. A person who for any lawful purpose carries or transports
an unloaded pistol or revolver in a vehicle inside a closed and
fastened container

or securely wrapped package which is too large to
be concealed on the person

or inside a cargo or luggage compartment
where the pistol or revolver will not be readily accessible to any
person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.

So if I read this correctly, this is currently the only legal way to carry on school property (keeping in mind that no other exceptions would fit me).

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Seems no challenge yet. I could not find anything either. THX for the reply.

NOW, if I read this correctly, Guns CAN be on school property if the following exception is met (there are other exceptions but this is the only one which would pertain to me).

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/cool-...y=billinfo&service=iowacode&input=724.#724.4B

AND 724.4 - f reads:

So if I read this correctly, this is currently the only legal way to carry on school property (keeping in mind that no other exceptions would fit me).

If you want to call that "carry" then, sure, go ahead and call it that but it's still just possession. Iowa law is so strict on school carry that it doesn't even make an exemption for people that administrators/principles and the like could make the decision to allow people other than LE to be armed.

Publican

Obviously I understand the distinction.

I guess what I should have said was - that was the only way I could LEGALLY have a firearm on school property.

But thank you for the correction.

Tucker6900

Obviously I understand the distinction.

I guess what I should have said was - that was the only way I could LEGALLY have a firearm on school property.

But thank you for the correction.

I like Michigan's carry on school grounds law. If you have a permit, from Michigan or another state, you can legally OPEN carry on school property.

amaixner

If you want to call that "carry" then, sure, go ahead and call it that but it's still just possession. Iowa law is so strict on school carry that it doesn't even make an exemption for people that administrators/principles and the like could make the decision to allow people other than LE to be armed.

That's quite not correct, Iowa does allow for the head administrator to give permission to any person they wish to allow to carry on school grounds.
As already quoted in 724.4B.2.b earlier:
2. Subsection 1 does not apply to the following:
a. A person listed under section 724.4, subsection 4,
paragraphs "b" through "f" or "j".
b. A person who has been specifically authorized by the
school
to go armed, carry, or transport a firearm on the school
grounds, including for purposes of conducting an instructional
program regarding firearms.

Last edited: