• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry problems?

rs3604

Hey all, my name is rob and I am new to kentucky and to open carry. First I would like to say that I have lived in kentucky for about 8 months and love it here.I come from an extremely oppressive state and tho have a lot of trigger time with handguns (thanks to dad being a cop) I have never owned one my self and am proud to live in a state where they respect 2A rights. I have recently purchased my first handgun and have joined the ranks of the fine people here and open carry. My ? is this, I spend most of my time in liberty, somerset, danville and stanford and was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with OC in these areas. Also, should I get a ccdw even tho i open carry? Thanks all, I look forward to getting to everyone here and meeting some at some of the OC get togethers.

rs3604

Thanks gutshot. I will look into a ccdw. where is the best place to find info on classes in my area? I am really trying to learn the laws but I find some confusing although I know it seems straight forward but I come from NY,and if you put a weapon of any kind in a glove box or center console it was concealed,there was no OC and you could not even own LTL's like stun guns and batons. Pepper spray was ok but only recently and then it was taken away and then given the ok again. What about OC in places like cumberland falls SP or daniel boone NF?

rs3604

Thanks for the link. I did read some stuff about the open carry laws and being able to do it in almost anyplace like libraries and county offices and places like that. I am surprised I don't see more people in my area OC, been down here 8 months and have only seen 1 other person at the walmart in somerset OC.

cwohardy

rs3604,

Welcome to KY! Please check your messages on here. I am sending you information on a local CCW class

Midwest

Keep in mind the (Federal) Gun Free School Zone when open carrying within 1000 feet from a school if you don't have a permit, 1000 feet is further than most think. You need to look at the link to see how far 1000 feet really is.

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/zones/thousand_feet.html

I think someone said this also affects carrying in a vehicle as well, that is..if you don't have your permit. I'll let others chime in on that as its been discussed here before.

Welcome to Kentucky .

neuroblades

Keep in mind the (Federal) Gun Free School Zone when open carrying within 1000 feet from a school if you don't have a permit, 1000 feet is further than most think. You need to look at the link to see how far 1000 feet really is.

I think someone said this also affects carrying in a vehicle as well, that is..if you don't have your permit. I'll let others chime in on that as its been discussed here before.

Welcome to Kentucky .

Thanks for posting that link. That is a real eye opener!

LEX_XDM40compact

Welcome! You should not have much issues open carrying. I started myself with a simple handgun purchase and open carrying. I then got very educated and trained which led me to my CCDW. The main reason for a CCDW being a KY resident as mentioned is to be able to exercise your right to bear arms ( concealed) in other states when traveling.

If you are new to open carry I suggest browsing around some pages here on the KY section! And as always feel free to ask ANY questions relating!

rs3604

Sir Diealotz,Thanks love it here would never go back to the commies:dude:, now if i could find somewhere to hunt. LEX_XDM40compact, am new to OC been reading alot haven't had any OC problems yet and hope not too.

self preservation

Other than a LEO telling me I couldn't carry inside a city building (I proved him wrong) and some smart a$$ teenage girl yelling "oh my God he has a gun" in the middle of a crowded Wal-Mart, I've never had an issue. But as the others have said, be prepared to answer questions. The most common one for me is "are you a cop?" That one kind of gets tiresome because no one ever ask me if I'm an artist when they see me buying a pencil. They never ask if I'm a mechanic when they see me buying a wrench set. And for some reason they never mistake me for a male model when they see me buying a pair of Speedos to wear in my pool. But anyhow, questions from others is a good thing. It shows that they have interest and want to learn more. One of the reason that I OC is to educate. So never pass up the chance to inform a person when the opportunity presents itself.

self preservation

Other than a LEO telling me I couldn't carry inside a city building (I proved him wrong) and some smart a$$ teenage girl yelling "oh my God he has a gun" in the middle of a crowded Wal-Mart, I've never had an issue. But as the others have said, be prepared to answer questions. The most common one for me is "are you a cop?" That one kind of gets tiresome because no one ever ask me if I'm an artist when they see me buying a pencil. They never ask if I'm a mechanic when they see me buying a wrench set. And for some reason they never mistake me for a male model when they see me buying a pair of Speedos to wear in my pool. But anyhow, questions from others is a good thing. It shows that they have interest and want to learn more. One of the reason that I OC is to educate. So never pass up the chance to inform a person when the opportunity presents itself.

On a side note, does anyone know why "Wal-mart" and "wrench set" has a link to them? I didn't attach a link, so why are they blue and go to a webpage if you click on them?

56brd

Welcome to Kentucky .

Can local leo arrest me for violation of Federal Gun Free School Law? I keep an FN Browning in my glove box.
Per Kentucky law this is not a concealed weapon. Per Federal Law I am in violation of the Gun Free School
Law. Then am I in violation of said law and can be arrested, as I drive past a local high school and a local
grade school even though I never leave a Federal highway. Is this an accurate interpretation of the federal
gun free school zone? If so then something is wrong with our system of justice. Almost all schools will be located within 1000 feet of either a Federal or a State Highway. I could not know the local area and out of ignorance violate this law, and pay a very dear price. I understand the odds of me being stopped and my
car or truck being searched would be minimal but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

flb_78

On a side note, does anyone know why "Wal-mart" and "wrench set" has a link to them? I didn't attach a link, so why are they blue and go to a webpage if you click on them?

You have malware on your computer. I use Advanced System Care, Malwarebytes, and Spybot to keep my computer clean.

langzaiguy

I open carried in Waffle House last weekend and a booth of old men asked me why I was carrying and where I was from. They asked politely and curiously and I replied respectfully. It wasn't any of their business, but it was a positive interaction. I think it's good PR.

DrakeZ07

You have malware on your computer. I use Advanced System Care, Malwarebytes, and Spybot to keep my computer clean.

No he doesn't. The PHPBB Forum software allows forum administrators to enable a plug-in called "skimwords" to help with advertising, or in lieu of advertising options. When I type 'Wal-mart' or 'Adult sex toys' or 'ammo' or what-have-you, the forum software adds a hyper-link to that word, which links to an offsite company like ebay or amazon or something. It's not anything to do with what may or may not be on any one person's computers, and solely to do with the forum.

Also, dude, most of those 'malware' and anti-virus programs are made for ID10T computer users who have no earthly idea what the HDD, or RAM even stands for, and think that a website that has a fancy name on it and a so-called program that "speeds up" your computer, is totally legit and buys into it. The only solid way to speed up your computer, is to buy a Solid State Drive/SSD, and increase the RAM in the computer, to something like DDR3, windows vista max about 8gigs, seven 16gb, and 8 32gigs.

I don't run ANY "security" or "anti-virus/malware/spyware" programs at all, on my expensive Alienware computer, because I'm not stupid enough to click on random crap that comes up.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to beat a dead horse about FLB's message.