Thread: donít mess with the Preston, ID Police Department

donít mess with the Preston, ID Police Department

Preston, Idaho, a tiny town of just more than 5,000 souls now has a 10-feet tall and in excess of 14 tons MRAP, cost to us taxpayers, $500,000.

Police Chief Ken Geddes, said that he plans to use his departmentís MRAP to quell any gun violence in his town. At least three other Idaho LE departments, Boise, Post Falls and Nampa, received the surplus MRAPs.

sorry i am bad at acronyms. what is a "MRAP"? what does it have to do with your title?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    sorry i am bad at acronyms. what is a "MRAP"? what does it have to do with your title?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAP

Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP; /ˈɛmrśp/ em-rap) vehicles are armored fighting vehicles used by various armed forces, whose designed purpose is surviving improvised explosive device (IED) attacks and ambushes. The first development in armored vehicles designed specifically to counter the land mine threat were initiated during the Rhodesian Bush War; existing technology was subsequently inherited (and matured) by the South African Defence Force after 1980
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Banned
    thanks,,,now I know where a lightly protected one is, in case I need one.

A school board in New Hampshire is in the process of buying one.

Re: donít mess with the Preston, ID Police Department

Well whoever they are so afraid of (???) might be able to defeat it with 100 bars of soap & 50 gallons of gasoline. Cost approx. $500 vs. Their(our)$500,000. Seriously how much gun violence can a town of 5,000 have?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

ďYour beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.Ē by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well whoever they are so afraid of (???) might be able to defeat it with 100 bars of soap & 50 gallons of gasoline. Cost approx. $500 vs. Their(our)$500,000. Seriously how much gun violence can a town of 5,000 have?
    Dig, high-center pits.

Then cook them while they are trapped. That is one way to deal with tracked and armored vehicles.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

How come the Preston, ID police and citizens are paying $500,000 for an MRAP when everybody else is getting them at no charge from DoD surplus?

Sounds like you folks got doubly screwed.

BTW - is there really that much "gun violence" in Preston, or was the Chief's tongue firmly in his cheek when he said that?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    A school board in New Hampshire is in the process of buying one.
    Cite?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    How come the Preston, ID police and citizens are paying $500,000 for an MRAP when everybody else is getting them at no charge from DoD surplus?

Sounds like you folks got doubly screwed.

BTW - is there really that much "gun violence" in Preston, or was the Chief's tongue firmly in his cheek when he said that?

stay safe.
    When I read his post, I wondered who "us taxpayers" were. Surely, they did not purchase something with local taxpayer money that would cost $100 per man, woman, and child. I suspect it was surplus. The town saw the program, saw the opportunity to acquire one at very little cost, and took advantage. Frankly, I prefer that this thing be in the hands of a small town, where it likely will go unused, than in the hands of a larger PD that might actually use this thing against the citizenry.

This may be an actual instance of a town owning a non-bearable arm for use by the militia. That would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MRAP
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I meant us the US taxpayers paid $500,000....the Defense Dept are giving them away free.

Ohio State Universityís police department received a donated ďMine Resistant Ambush Protected VehicleĒ this month complete with gun turret

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    There is only one reasonable conclusion - the streets of Preston are laden with mines. I would advise everyone to steer clear.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 10-10-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    Oh I am sure it isn't "free", your local yokels are now "first responders", I am sure all type of strings are attached.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

[QUOTE=oldbanger;1993516]I meant us the US taxpayers paid $500,000....the Defense Dept are giving them away free.

I want to get the parts supply concession for replacement parts for MRAPs. Should be a nice business marking up the hell out of parts to sell to idiot politicians who are diverting their main job to these silly pursuits. Would think if I wanted to run for Sheriff or Mayor this would be a good cause to exploit. Sheriff such-and-so is out to take your guns away - just like the ATF did to David Koresh....
    ďMen live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Not much in Idaho, I would put the number of armed citizens above 80% the other 20% are those from California that moved here and are trying to infect our state with the blue way of thinking. They even advertize with "obama" and "blue girl in red state" stickers on their cars, if they don't have stickers you can tell as they are the ones that don't know how to drive in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    There is only one reasonable conclusion - the streets of Preston are laden with mines. I would advise everyone to steer clear.
    Mines in Idaho are either from horses or cattle.....

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Not much in Idaho, I would put the number of armed citizens above 80% the other 20% are those from California that moved here and are trying to infect our state with the blue way of thinking. They even advertize with "obama" and "blue girl in red state" stickers on their cars, if they don't have stickers you can tell as they are the ones that don't know how to drive in the snow.
    "...they are the ones that don't know how to drive [a Prius] in the snow."